any experience/recommendations/ warnings ....
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

any experience/recommendations/ warnings ....

Greetings - newly here:

I discovered the forum while looking for less expensive ways to heat and bend steel. In the search I ran across an ad for an oxy/gasoline torch set (price $399). Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of this kind of setup? Or other modes that are hobbyist friendly to learn to use well and safely; I don't really have much experience with torches other than a MAPP bernzomatic kit I bought at Home Depot. Bent some #2 rebar (right angles) for a sculpture project; it came out fine, but seemed to be pretty slow. Could be I wasn't using the flame efficiently (part of flame contacting the rebar?)

As a matter of info, I inherited an oxy acetylene outfit from my late father in law; it has several tips including a "rosebud", the regulator, hoses, cart, both the oxy and acetylene tanks (each stands about 4 feet high plus the valves. Since I don't know what I'm doing I haven't tried it out. Not sure how to assess its condition etc. It's been sitting for about 3 years in a dry but unheated garage.

Everything I've read thus far suggests that the acetylene is expensive to use, so I was searching out alternatives. This is probably a handful of queries for my first contact, but putting it out there and appreciate whatever comes back my way.

Re: any experience/recommendations/ warnings ....

Welcome to the forum

I don't know that I would say acetylene is *expensive* to use.... I guess it depends on your definition of expensive your paying for heat.... some things have more *heat* in them than others so they will heat the material you're trying to heat up quicker... so basically you will pay more to get the job done quicker and more efficiently if that makes sense....

Post up some pictures of what you have and I am sure there will be guys letting you know whats available for you to change on your setup so you could use propane or other gasses for the fuel gas instead of acetylene.

Thanks, ronsii. I've away from the garage where the rig is at, but I'll get some pics next time I'm there and see what folks think.

Welcome!

It sounds like you already inherited the equipment that you’ll need for bending steel. Either the rosebud or a cutting tip would work well, but if the steel isn’t very thick then one of the larger welding tips will work and also save on gas.

Torch sets usually don’t go bad but occasionally you may need to have the regulators rebuilt if the diaphragms have dried out. Last set I had done cost me around $55 each to rebuild.

My advice would be to learn how to use the oxy-acytelene rig that you have, and if you feel that you’re spending too much on acetylene then look into converting it to oxy-propane.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

One advantage of going with a propane conversion is when you run out of gas pretty much everybody sells propane these days and while it has lower temperature to heat things at if you're just doing small steel stuff you probably wouldn't really notice the few seconds longer to get something cherry red compared to using acetylene.

Worth mentioning that if you decide to go the propane route, you will not be able to weld steel. You need acetilene for welding. For heating/bending/etc propane is just fine.

You would do yourself a favor if you didn't post the same question in multiple sub forums. That way there everyone who resonds is aware of what other advice you got. It looks to me like this question is in 2 or 3 different places on this board? I know I replied under a different category.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

For large heating jobs, propane can't be beat in the small shop world.

Large Acetylene heating tips require a large withdrawl rate to function. Only way to get this is to manifold a coupla bottles. Not cost effective for the lil' guy.

Propane, because of it's high withdrawl rate is the ticket with a good sized heating tip.

A little quickie heat-and-beat repair sometime back...……………….

Name:  heat and beat8.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  heat and beat9.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  heat and beat10.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  125.6 KB

Straightened, and new gussets installed.

Name:  heat and beat12.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  129.6 KB

Your OA outfit will run propane just fine with the proper tips.

Thanks scsmith42. Less expensive to rehab than I would have thought. And everything may be just fine.

Sorry for the slow reply. Been feeding alligators lately and lost track of everything else. What did you have to pay for your propane adaptation gear? Any brand preference for what I'll need? I'm going to at least try that approach for grins and giggles. Then I'll have the convenience of propane as well. The local welding shops are a ways from me, and I can get propane within a 5 minute drive.

The repair looks great.

A bit off topic, but while we're talking propane etc. thought you folks might have some ideas. I am growing some bamboo in containers and have been using 55 gal drums cut in half as containers. I was thinking of trying to get my hands on some uncertifiable propane castoffs in the 100 gal range, cut them lengthwise and end up with two pretty ideal sized long term housing for bamboo. Any ideas would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ggpolywa View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply. Been feeding alligators lately and lost track of everything else. What did you have to pay for your propane adaptation gear? Any brand preference for what I'll need? I'm going to at least try that approach for grins and giggles. Then I'll have the convenience of propane as well. The local welding shops are a ways from me, and I can get propane within a 5 minute drive.

The repair looks great.

A bit off topic, but while we're talking propane etc. thought you folks might have some ideas. I am growing some bamboo in containers and have been using 55 gal drums cut in half as containers. I was thinking of trying to get my hands on some uncertifiable propane castoffs in the 100 gal range, cut them lengthwise and end up with two pretty ideal sized long term housing for bamboo. Any ideas would be welcome.
    I used this tip assembly in the above heat 'n beat. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/je...0Lathe%20Parts It's the only expense to consider, if your regulator, and hoses, are correctly sized for the flow.

Older propane bottles are still out there floating around. The non-OPD type. These are correctly fitted with a CGA 540 valve fitting which will couple with your regulator. Often very cheap, as they're obsolete, and can't be filled unless labeled "For Cutting Only". Your gas supplier will simply write it on the bottle with a sharpie. My LWS simply gave me a few old Chemtane bottles they had sitting around.

A standard Acetylene regulator works fine. So does standard Acetylene rated hose. The naysayers will cry about it, but I've had no problems in about a decade. Just remember to purge your line when the rig goes back into storage when not in use.

Hey, I used the wrong link

This is the correct link https://www.arc-zone.com/heating-assembly-vpng-20