Victor scarfing tip problems.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Victor scarfing tip problems.

Hey guys, I've been trolling around on here for years, and have learned tons from you all. But now I have a problem that I can't find an answer to in the forums. I have a Victor CA1350 on a 100FC handle. The tip that have in it is a 2-3-101. The one that was in it when I got the torch set was a 0-3-101. Yesterday I bought a scarfing tip, 2-3-118, for a project that requires me to cut a 1 1/4" plate that is welded 90 degrees to another 1 1/4" plate. The thought was I could get a closer cut, so less grinding as I am reusing the bottom plate. The problem I am running into is that the new scarfing tip will not seal. It leaks around the nut and catches fire. Not bad, but obviously not right. I have tried cleaning the beveled faces in the torch head with no luck. I have reseated it several times in different positions also with no luck. I am wondering if I should be using a X-1-XXX for this cutting head, which I don't see as available in a scarfing tip.

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. I'm to the point of buying a newer/bigger torch, but this is really the largest material I work with. I mostly work with 1/4", so this torch is capable of doing everything I need to do. I just wonder about my beveled faces being worn. None of the other tips leak though.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Victor scarfing tip problems.

The X-3-xxx tips are right for your cutting attachment. Take a sharpie and color your seating surfaces on the tip and twist it in the torch head and look for a slight dent in the sealing surface, then do the same with the torch head. If your other tips work fine, I would check the new tip carefully. The torch head might still have a problem accepting a new tip if the nut has been overtightened or the head overheated in the past.

Well, it seems like that pointed out my problem. It looks like the outside flange is egg shaped. You cant see it by looking at it, and the nut spins on fine, but when I sharpied it, it looks like it is hitting on each side of the tip. There isn't anything that makes a sharp mark, just a smooth rub on each side. I reapplied the Sharpie and turned the tip 90 degrees and it hit the same on the tip, which makes it look like it's the torch head, not the tip. I tried to touch it up with fine emery cloth. No luck. It did make the flame smaller where it was leaking, about the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil. I know that I can send it in to Victor, but I really need to get this job done this week. I am probably just going to order one on Amazon. Thank you very much for the tip. As usual, I learned something on here.

Nohands

If you have a good LWS, you might call and see if they can touch up the surface with a reamer. I’ve had it done on a Victor. The counter guy said it was fairly common repair.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

I will give that a try. Thank you.

You may try lapping compound if you can find a water based one.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

FIRST QUESTION...…..DID YA BUY A GENUINE VICTOR SCARFING TIP??

I do quite a bit of scarfing, and one time, because it was all they had at the LWS, bought a "Harris Compatible" tip

That sucker leaked like an old bath tub

I tossed it, and chased down genuine tips. Problem solved.

Before you start to mess with the seat on the torch, try getting a genuine tip.

If you have a genuine Victor tip, ignore what I said...…….and I'll go climb back under my rock

Before I get outta here...………..

Any of y'all that are using Harris O/A equipment...…….this is my go-to outfit for GENUINE tips https://www.harrisweldingsupplies.co...e-gouging-tip/

The aftermarket stuff sucks.