curiousJ, new guy and professional lurker
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

curiousJ, new guy and professional lurker

Hey all,

I'm a software developer that has recently been experimenting with the idea of "working with my hands."
    After staring at a computer screen all day, it's nice to go out in the garage and tinker, even if everything I make is ugly and crappy.

I originally got into blacksmithing, where I made a number of small chisels and things, nothing too exciting. I'm now hoping to learn some more...modern techniques for metal working.

I probably won't be able to contribute much, but I hope to learn as much as possible.

Re: curiousJ, new guy and professional lurker

Sometimes “ugly and crappy” works.
    Welcome
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Welcome! Ugly can definitely work! My dad made and/or modified a lot of stuff, the two things you could count on 1: it WOULD look like CRAP, and 2: it WOULD WORK, it might take him several trys with errors, but he would get it worked out. I'm a LOT like him, but I have a little engineering background and can weld better so it generally looks nicer.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Welcome, CuriousJ from another newbie. Just enjoy what you are doing.

welcome both you. we encourage new members to, post/get involved in the "political thead", that way, we all get to know eachother better

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

While I generally avoid politics - the signal/noise ratio is terrible - I'll check out that political thread 123weld.
    Last edited by curiousJ; 06-18-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    welcome both you. we encourage new members to, post/get involved in the "political thead", that way, we all get to know eachother better
    What...……..y'all got some sorta litmus test goin' on?

I might/might not know a doooods political bent. What I tend to look at, is how that dood behaves when I have dealings with him...…..don't care what side of the aisle he's on.

Now, if a fella throws politics up in my face, that's a different matter. At that point it's gotten beyond business or social interaction. And, if social/business interaction depends on politics...…...it's a pretty sad commentary my friend.

If the fella working on ya in the emergency room is "from the other side"...….you gonna lay there, and bleed to death cause he doesn't see things yer way?

I agree Samm

I would actually encourage any new members to NOT visit that thread
    LoL!
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    What...……..y'all got some sorta litmus test goin' on?

I might/might not know a doooods political bent. What I tend to look at, is how that dood behaves when I have dealings with him...…..don't care what side of the aisle he's on.

Now, if a fella throws politics up in my face, that's a different matter. At that point it's gotten beyond business or social interaction. And, if social/business interaction depends on politics...…...it's a pretty sad commentary my friend.

If the fella working on ya in the emergency room is "from the other side"...….you gonna lay there, and bleed to death cause he doesn't see things yer way?
    no, i have no need to, i kinda know who the dumb are, and the dumber than dumb seem to show up unexpectedly making false comments that they cant back up. please go through my posts on plotical thread, or anywhere else, in attempt to support of your bs suggestions about me. in other words, find a post where i ever asked someone what political party they are registered, or what side there on, or ever stereotyped a person for what party they are. after you fail at that (which is gonna be the case), take your barnyard mentality back to political thread and go back one page (page 255), and try to read post #6365 if your able. then come back here and tell us if it supports your suggestions about myself, OR,does it make you out to be as ignorant as you truly sound
    Last edited by 123weld; 06-19-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I agree Samm

I would actually encourage any new members to NOT visit that thread
    LoL!
    o, and your welcome to try to help him out, as he needs it. i see, you dont reccomend it to new members, but its ok for you to read and make posts on poitical thread
    Last edited by 123weld; 06-19-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    o, and your welcome to try to help him out, as he needs it. i see, you dont reccomend it to new members, but its ok for you to read and make posts on poitical thread
    Conscientious observer.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Looks like even a simple introduction
    thread can wind up in the ditch.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    Looks like even a simple introduction
    thread can wind up in the ditch.
    I'm off to an auspicious start!

Welcome ! Ugly and crabby ? Sounds like you want to do metal artwork. You wouldn't believe the stuff people buy.

If you want to do artstuff, there's lots of post for it. Silverware is cheap and fun to play with along with using recycled materials.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Welcome ! Ugly and crabby ? Sounds like you want to do metal artwork. You wouldn't believe the stuff people buy.

If you want to do artstuff, there's lots of post for it. Silverware is cheap and fun to play with along with using recycled materials.
    Ha! Nearly every university that I have ever been to has had an overpriced pile of scrap somewhere on the campus. I'm supposed to call it a sculpture but I think that's being a bit generous. Maybe it's just really deep and abstract and totally over my head...

Those types of projects tend to have large and unusual shapes to them, which could present some fun problem solving opportunities. I just have no idea how you sell something like that.

I have thought about making small silverware or trinkets, but again I have no idea what to do with it once I have built it.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousJ View Post
    I'm off to an auspicious start!
    i like your attitude. i usually dont look at the new people post. "curious", caught my eye, so i clicked. read where you sounded educated, and said u didnt think you could contribute much. so i thought, hmmm, lets see here..., then i thought, well, everyones got a computer, and problems/questions go w/ that. Why not try to get him talkin in political thread. it might add a monkey wrench to it, being hes got such a different background. i go there to talk about news 95%+ of the time. i see nothing wrong about talking about whats in the news. it should be talked about, and discussed. especially now days. sounds like you frequent universites, i'd guess what there pushing, is the opposite of what i'm getting at. also, about half the guys in the politcal thread, would fall in the top 10% of the most knowldeable in welding on this whole board. so, per capita, political thread may have more know how on welding than any other single category/thread

Curious, Welcome to WW! I'll stick to the subject, welding is fascinating to me, it allows me to make things I want or need (pretty or not) and not run to the store for everything. If the final product is ugly but functional, who cares? I put function ahead of aesthetics, but I build things that work for me, not to please or impress others. I rarely have the time to plan, buy the material required and build something at a leisurely pace. It usually happens in the middle of the night, or in a remote location, or somewhere where there is no lathe, mill or other machine tool available. Do what you can with what is at hand, if necessary, sounds like you will have the luxury of pre-planning some of your projects, then you can focus on function AND aesthetics. As always, practice make perfect, and if you have any questions regarding welding related subjects, post your questions here, usually you will get an informed answer. Good luck!

No worries 123weld, I appreciate you pointing out a thread where I could potentially be able to pitch in and introduce myself. I grew up in a number of small(ish) towns in the upper Midwest, and then moved to the pacific northwest for work. As a kid I had fun arguing on behalf of the left, and now I have fun arguing on behalf of the right. Culturally I grew up hunting and fishing and spending a lot of time outside, and now I live more of a yuppie-lite lifestyle. Truth be told, all my lawyering (arguing both sides) has not given me a lot of conviction on most political issues.

I do worry about institutional decay, rent seeking, and decision makers who don't have to suffer the consequences of their decisions. These issues aren't necessarily neatly divided up on the left right spectrum. They instead deal with issues like institutional scope, system dynamics, and making decisions under uncertainty.

I try and pick my battles and fight where others aren't looking.

Really though, I'm just another young cuss in his 20's trying to start a career, meet a wife, and do the young adult thing. Politics is a part time job if that. I'm hoping I'll have more time for politics 10-20 years from now but who knows.

Wasillashack: I also really like not having to run to the store for everything. I also like the idea that anything I buy can be customizable or fitted for a different purpose.

Curious, mix your blacksmithing with some welding and you are going down the right path...