Newbie qestion regarding HF Omnipro 220....Are there better options?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Newbie qestion regarding HF Omnipro 220....Are there better options?

Last week I bought one of these Omnipro 220 units. It's still in the box, never unpacked. Just took to owners manual out to read.

Here's the question. My goal is to set up with tig, mig and plasma. I do want to work on aluminum as well as steel. Strictly for homeowner/hobbyist use.

This Omnipro is now $900 with coupon. Then you have to add a foot peddle ($150), tig porch ($160), spool gun ($209) and consumables. Then add $115+ for the additional 2 year warranty.

That adds up to $1550+- dollars...This HF stuff is not cheap any more.

I'm quickly getting the feeling this HF Omnipro 220 may not be the way to go.

Rather something like this Primeweld 225X Tig on Amazon for $775. Its ready to Tig or stick out of the box with with consumables and a 3 year warranty including shipping shipping both ways and a functional 24/7 customer service phone number.

Add their 50A CUT50DP plasma rig for $399. That's $1175. Leaves about $400 to put towards a MIG unit. A decent MIG unit will run $600-$700?

I do like dual voltage machines. I have ready access to dedicated 240 circuits. You Tube video show the Primeweld 225X to be a first rate aluminum machine.

Am I thinking about this right? I can have a much more capable set up for just a few bucks more than the total cost to set up the Omnipro.

Suggestions? Ideas.

Thanks in advance.

PS Hanging around waiting for used welding gear on places like Craigslist isn't functional in my western Oregon town...sellers are amazingly proud of their used welding gear. I'd rather buy new with good warrantees on modern equipment.
    Last edited by Barefootdog; 06-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Re: Newbie qestion regarding HF Omnipro 220....Are there better options?

You want to do alum? Forget the OmniPro and get the PrimeWeld. Then buy the MigMax215 for mig. Now you have a plan.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Yeah....They've raised the price on these Omnipro machines to a point where it costs too much to set them up to be fully functional...

You have a recommendation on a plasma unit? Does the PrimeWeld 50A CUT50DP plasma rig look OK?.

Primeweld tig 225, Primeweld cut 60 and primeweld mig 180
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Primeweld dealer and tech support
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Primeweld tig 225, Primeweld cut 60 and primeweld mig 180
    Works for me.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Its really a great deal, all 3 for under $2000 for a hobbyist or small shop.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Primeweld dealer and tech support
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's