Powermatic 1200 drill press repairs... a little brazing, casting, and machining
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Powermatic 1200 drill press repairs... a little brazing, casting, and machining

This week I decide to finally put the gearbox back on the old Powermatic 1200 drill press. I knew the rack was broken, so I cleaned up the rack and re-drilled it. When I went to install it I discovered an ear on the lift collar was broken off. Argh! So it was decided to pull it apart, clean, repair, and paint it. I started by baking the collar and then built up a nice ear out of aluminum bronze. It was then milled and sanded to the approximate shape. Pretty easy job except I ran out of aluminum bronze filler, which is not stocked locally, making this a two day repair.

Name:  IMG_4229.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4242.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  78.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4243.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  219.5 KB

I also knew I was missing the table locking handle and spent the better part of a day looking for it. Finally decided to pull a handle off another 1200 and cast my own. I started by filling the original with hot wax. Once cool I used it as a pattern and made a quick sand mold. I melted up some scrap aluminum and poured the handle. Turned out surprisingly well. You can even see the part numbers in the copy.

Name:  IMG_4230.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  126.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4231.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  235.1 KB

Re: Powermatic 1200 drill press repairs... a little brazing, casting, and machining

The next day I heat treated the part and milled the 12 point socket. I did discover some porosity but it should be ok.

Name:  IMG_4239.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  65.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4238.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  69.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4240.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  61.2 KB

The original 5/8 acme nut was totally stripped out so I cleaned up a 16th off each side, taking it down to 15/16. I also relieved the shoulder that presses on the clamp. It was clear from the wear the original hex had been rubbing. All easy stuff. I thought about ordering a new nut but opted to re-use the old one as it fit the screw well.

Name:  IMG_4236.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4237.jpg
Size:  65.0 KB

The base has been stripped and painted but I'll be gone for a week so don't expect a new installment for a while.

Re: Powermatic 1200 drill press repairs... a little brazing, casting, and machining

some nice work there! thanks for the pics.

Looks good!!!!

Great repair Forhire! It always amazes me how some of you guys master all required disciplines for these sort or repairs: Mill machining, lathe work, welding/brazing and... to top it off... casting of new pieces AND heat threating them! Cooooool!

Keep us posted!

Mikel

SO nice to have you back and posting. Thank You for sharing!
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185.
    Flex-Loc 150 torch.
    Super-Flex hose.
    Lincoln MIG 180.
    Victor Oxy/Act torch set.
    DeWalt Bandsaw with SWAG stand

Awesome stuff
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

The gearbox has been sorted. The old worm wheel had to be cut out. No idea how it could have been so abused.

Name:  IMG_4266.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  132.4 KB

The gears originally were held in position on the shaft just using the set screws. Based on the wear I suspect the gears had shifted on the shaft leading to failure. Additionally the rack and pinion didn't line up very well due to poor manufacturing. I faced each side of the gearbox flat, removing the casting draft, and allowed for a 50 thousands bronze spacer and two thicker 0.25" spacers to fill out the gearbox. Now the rack and pinion line up perfectly and the worm cannot push the worm wheel out of position. Still need to sort a number of fasteners and finish painting.

Name:  IMG_4263.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  87.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4265.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4267.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4268.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  72.2 KB

Wow!!!! she's like a brand new penny

Very nice work.
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Lincoln PowerMig 255XT
    TermalDynamics 52
    Lincoln 305G
    Comlpete machine shop to back it up