Cast aluminum water pump TIG questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Soliciting advice.

I'm trying to modify a GM water pump for a track car project and want to change the location of the water pump inlet tube from the side of the pump to the top.

The cast aluminum housing is thicker than the aluminum tube I want to weld in, plus I expect the housing will absorb much more heat than the tube. I'm concerned about melting the tube before I get enough heat in the housing to form a puddle.

Any suggestions for settings, prep, technique or other things to consider?

I'm using a Dynasty 200 DX.

This photo shows the original outlet location with the factory stainless press in tube and the new hole drilled in the top of the housing.
    Name:  Water Pump modification 1.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  167.6 KB

This photo shows where the new tubing will go.
    The tube in this photo is stainless, but the tubing I'm welding in is aluminum.
    Name:  Water Pump modification 2.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  177.3 KB

I'm a hobby welder, not a pro, so any suggestions are appreciated.

John

Re: Cast aluminum water pump TIG questions

Shouldn't be too bad. Concentrate your heat on the thick sections first to get your heat up, then wash your weld into the thin. Just don't cook your water seals.
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

You'll need all the preheat you can. Then 200 amps might not be enough. Adding some helium would make it work.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Bring your Freq down to about 70 Hz and your balance to 72. Also make sure that LS pump has the bearings and seals removed. I cannot tell from the pic if it is just the skeleton housing you are playing with. Go to rod is 4943 here, 3/32. If you cannot get a puddle in 3 seconds or less you are too cold(preheat or HE as stated). I would be running my Dyn 300 at about 260amps or so for this, albeit I won't use all of it but when I mash the pedal I know I got a puddle and it is time to go,go, go.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

pictures and report when it's done.
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

You need to disassemble it to bare casting only . Use a couple hundred degrees of preheat and it should be no problem. it will not take helium to get the job done . It should be straight forward. A little preheat makes a big difference. I would set the machine to 175-200 amps then use your pedal to rape up until it starts melting . Keep the torch on the casting and roll over to the tube just enough to melt into it. as it heats you will need to keep reducing the amps with the pedal to keep from over heating . It might even be needed to stop and reduce the max amps on the machine so you have more control of the weld with the pedal as it heats up.
    Last edited by thegary; 06-25-2019 at 09:56 AM.

the aluminum casting is way less dense and doesn’t take as many amps to weld as if that part were billet. Preheat with a torch to 250 or more will help big time and make it weld way cleaner. If you don’t have the confidence to weld it I can do it no problems or a 30$ plus shipping and handling and it would come out nice looking

Tight arc and very clean metal. I see the casting is still showing weathering and oxidation at the weld zone. Twas me I would go 70% balance, 200 hurts, Advanced squarewave, #7 cup and gas lens at 18cfh, 1/16" 4943 which flow really nice on a glazed puddle. And set to 200 amps if you can. The puddle glaze should form immediately so you can add your filler. Once added the small amount of magnesium will heat the puddle some from the exothermic action of the magnesium reacting with the base metal.

Once again hot tight arc and go. No preheat necessary. 200 amps on Advanced squarewave is your friend.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    If you don’t have the confidence to weld it I can do it no problems or a 30$ plus shipping and handling and it would come out nice looking
    He never said he lacks confidence.
    He simply asked for suggestions to get the job done.
    He has a very nice machine and by the looks of it, did a real nice job of fit up.

I’m sure he doesn’t need some kid living in his parents basement to help him out.

You really need to check yourself instead of trying to make a buck from someone asking a simple question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    the aluminum casting is way less dense and doesn’t take as many amps to weld as if that part were billet. Preheat with a torch to 250 or more will help big time and make it weld way cleaner. If you don’t have the confidence to weld it I can do it no problems or a 30$ plus shipping and handling and it would come out nice looking
    ^^^^Yes. He is asking for help and not to be enabled and worse even charged to do it. How is one to learn if they just pay someone all the time to do something.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    He never said he lacks confidence.
    He simply asked for suggestions to get the job done.
    He has a very nice machine and by the looks of it, did a real nice job of fit up.

I’m sure he doesn’t need some kid living in his parents basement to help him out.

You really need to check yourself instead of trying to make a buck from someone asking a simple question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Try and humble yourself and not get so jealous, also worry about yourself

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    ^^^^Yes. He is asking for help and not to be enabled and worse even charged to do it. How is one to learn if they just pay someone all the time to do something.
    Actually.... the OP asked for ANY suggestions.... moto gave several very sound suggestions

Me... I don't really have any suggestions other than if you do decide to tackle it yourself find a similar housing and do some practice runs.

Ya gotta just ignore the dicks.
    Syncrowave 250 w/ coolrunner
    MM210 W/spoolgun
    SP 135
    Victor O/A
    Ramsond cut 50
    Titanium Stick 225.

I had older dynasty 200dx above suggestions probably good at least the tjs shovel ect, 4043 always worked fine for me, I was doing mostly old castings on irreplaceable parts so take it for what it's worth, the 4943 sounds nice but for that if all you have is 4043 do it, typical weld consentrate on thicker move to thinner, John moto are just a disgruntled couple, but you been around a long time, you know, new age ****

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Actually.... the OP asked for ANY suggestions.... moto gave several very sound suggestions

Me... I don't really have any suggestions other than if you do decide to tackle it yourself find a similar housing and do some practice runs.
    not only did they see right through the advise I gave but they also blew right past the OP asking for any other suggestions near the end of his post that you just kindly pointed out for them ronsii. Thanks for helping

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I knew I could get some good ideas here.

I need to bead the tube first, then I'll weld it up and post the results.

Since your using a dynasty you should be ok as long as you can plug in the dynasty and turn it on and it will do the rest. It’s a dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    I had older dynasty 200dx above suggestions probably good at least the tjs shovel ect, 4043 always worked fine for me, I was doing mostly old castings on irreplaceable parts so take it for what it's worth, the 4943 sounds nice but for that if all you have is 4043 do it, typical weld consentrate on thicker move to thinner, John moto are just a disgruntled couple, but you been around a long time, you know, new age ****
    Yeah but deep down they love each other. They are like a pair of teenage lovers. Fighting is just so they can make up.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Lol!!! that explains a lot

John is the bitch in the relationship.

True dat... Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    True dat... Lol!!!
    It seems like you and Moto are the ones that have a love affair.

The only person I love is opus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

See John is getting jealous. Will talk about it tonight don’t worry john

Ok, finally got to it. Thanks for the advice all, it was helpful.