Master Mechanic Strikes Again........or Oliver PTO - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Master Mechanic Strikes Again........or Oliver PTO

Quote Originally Posted by orezok View Post
    The way I locate bolt holes in a new gasket is to first cut the gasket out. Then place the gasket on the flange, center it and take a small ball pein hammer and press the ball over one of the holes. It makes a perfect mark for cutting, slightly raised so it centers the punch cutter perfectly. Replace the gasket and drop a proper bolt through the first hole. Recenter the gasket and go to a hole diagonally across from the first. Press the ball pein again to mark and cut it out. Replace and drop a second bolt. Now you can mark the balance of the holes and they will perfectly align.
    Sounds like it might work better than what I did. The real problem with this stuff is that it's not paper. It's a rubberized material, and tough as nails. Peening the bolt holes worked perfectly with plain paper, but I was afraid to start doing that to this stuff.

I mean...……..this stuff is some nasty stuff...……

Name:  pto67.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  203.1 KB Might have cut better if I had a hard plastic, or hardwood, surface to strike against. Took a few HEALTHY wacks to punch thru. And it had a real bad tendency to sorta tear as it cut. Cutters were about as sharp as you'd expect them to be. Just one tough material.

Next big decision is whether to simply stick the gasket on with grease, or use a sealant. It has to be placed on the tractor, then the PTO unit mated to the tractor. Gonna require quite a bit of juggling to get it to fit, or it may not...…….never can tell. It has to be tilted underneath the clutch forks, raised to engage the forks, then mated to the axle the last inch or so.

I'd prefer a sealant, but sealant requires a bit of speed on assembly. It gets too tacky, and won't flow, if it sits too long. Grease is more forgiving, but doesn't seal as well, and can allow the gasket to wander. I'd love to squeeze out a healthy bead of RTV, but the problem is that it's too large of a casting, and it's under a lot of stress. I'm worried it could crack if it isn't cushioned by a gasket...…….makes up for any surface irregularities.

Probably wind up using grease...…….be Hell to take it apart in the future if I use sealant. I'm pretty sure this gasket material is impervious to gear oil (and probably nuclear waste). Enough bolts on the thing to keep it from going too far as it's squeezed when torqued.

Oil is the next PITA...…………...The new stuff has extreme pressure additives (usually sulfur), and it eats bronze. Clutch pack is bronze. I think I can score some of the old GL-2 or GL-3. I think Tractor Supply carries the old GL-1 all mineral stuff, but I'm not sure it's adequate. GL-5 doesn't work in this old iron. This tractor came off the assembly line in 1964. Anyways...…..there's an outfit here that stocks old oils.

Sammy you need to get with the twentyfirst century

One of the best ways I have found for making templates is just take a digital picture of it from a good distance so's there isn't any noticeable fisheye then get it into the computer in your favorite dxf editing program then take some measurements of the target in both axis's and scale that sucker up to a gnat's eyelash!!!! the rest is simple!!!! just send it out to whatever cnc device you need... plasma, router, mill , roland type cutter for vinyl or card stock... and bingo you're done

All this pushin' and proddin with ball peen hammers and such is just so cavemanesque.....

Use your gasket cutters on the end grain of wood not the side. You should find it an improvement.
    ---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Use your gasket cutters on the end grain of wood not the side. You should find it an improvement.
    But then he won't be able to make a gasket bigger than 2 x 4 inches

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    But then he won't be able to make a gasket bigger than 2 x 4 inches
    1-5/8 x 3-5/8 inches to be precise.
    ---Meltedmetal

LOL, I know just wanted to be sure he got it actually around here they have been 3-1/2" for quite a while... although in the fall and winter they usually stock them up to 3-3/4" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I like a big chunk of UHMW plastic. I have a 12" x 12" x 3/8" piece that has been in use for 10 years and is still working well.

Find a gasket cement to stick the gasket to the case...that is what i used when i was doing the diesel mechanic thing. Contact cement would probably work if you can't find gasket cement.

Well, it's rock and a hard place time

Found 2 bad shaft seals, they'll be here tomorrow AM.

Worst of the deal...…………….WAITING ON TWO STINKIN' BAIL SPEARS. Need to throw together a fast hay mover for the weekend, and it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

We need to move about 115 rounds that have been sitting for the entire Winter. Rotten on the bottom,, and need to be rolled to make it possible to put them on the bale buggy. Only way to do it is with a two spike bale fork...……..which I ain't got. Ordered two 1350# spears from Titan...……….took my money, and they still haven't been shipped. Azzholes.

Supposed to be Conus I taper bushings, but what with this Global Horse%%%%, who knows if they're in spec...…..so can't start making the frame till I get the bushings in hand

Hate it when I got 2 things that have to be done at once, and the crap ain't here to proceed with either one.

I've been fighting the upgrade for about maybe 7-8yrs. The new balers make such a tight bale that ya can't stick 'em with a thick cold roll spike...……...gotta get that expensive thin forged BS. Hell, my NH650, if ya run it tight, puts out a bale that ya can't spike with a 2" spear Push the bstds all over the field, and only get the bale half on the spike.

K'kins off house sitting, stuck here by myself (that sucks after over 10-11yrs). Get used to the ol' gal bein' around.

So...……...she takes the snubnose, my bed gun. Now I gotta put somethin' heavier under the pillow...………..Yeah...…...I can just see lettin' go with a 44 Mag in the house Blinded, baffled, and the bedding on fire..ya, that's a real recipe for disaster. Better off just beating them over the head with it.

Stupid dog's been sitting by the gate since about 4 this afternoon, like he always does...….waiting for her to come home. Poor little dooood ain't happy. Pups have an internal clock, and habits they build over time. Messes them up when things change.

If she's home, and I'm gone for most of the day...….stupid dog sits on the porch till I get home. Won't come in the house. Hot, cold, rain....whatever....she can't coax him in the house. I'm the porch dood, she's the gate babe

Name:  pups3-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  147.3 KB

Before him, was my best buddy, my soul mate. Ran one wife off (I helped), and woulda done the same with K'kins if he'd been alive when she came here. Maybe not, but he was possessive. Shame dogs don't live long. I don't like it.

Name:  pups1-092.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  136.0 KB Got on a plane, bound for the PNW, some years back...…..and this doood in fatigues came up to me, and asked if I still had that mean dog. I DIDN'T KNOW WHO HE WAS. Turned out, he was a neighbor's son, who Clarence bit when the guy was a kid. And here this guy was going off on a deployment...…..all grown up, and still remembered that dog. Clarence was some sorta mean azz ol' dog. Bit the kid on the leg when he took a drink out of the hydrant on the side of the house...……...that house was HIS house. All the old timers, and this kid, loved that dog.....people here appreciate a territorial mean dog.

A good dog can look right through you. That hard stare. Watching every move. Those are the dogs I tend to wind up with. Guess a lot of it is the genetics, and how they're treated. You become your pup's World when you make him your World. K'kins has the ability to make a pup see her as The World. Hell...…….she made me see her as my World.

Larry Graham never got his day. Paid his dues, and never got a fair shake. Stanley Clark pales in comparison.

Check out the video about 3 minutes in, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stage hands messed it up prior to that.

I can't find one recording where they gave the guy good audio, shame...………...Lotta talent there. This guy is GOOD

Then, there's the other side of the world.

Used to love this stuff when I was 4 wheelin' up around Durango. Better territory was up around Silverton......back in the mining country. Spent lotta days there, back in the day...……………...this music was perfect for that part of the country. Get up there, above tree line, chill out, park the truck, break out the firewood and try to start a fire (don't burn good because of the altitude), get 'er goin', break out the brews, kill a steak, and kick back...……..look at the stars. Was a good life when I was young.

Me, and K'kins are dreamin' of goin' back there. Actually, for me, it's goin' back...….for her.....it'll be the first time. She's always lived in this area, never travelled.

Probably never make it there. Too many things to take care of. Can't leave the livestock.

Used to be a rock slide area......Slumguleon was called I believe. Rough country, and it's probably ruined by now...….tamed. They ruined all the country above Leadville, probably did the same in the gold mining districts above Silverton.

Them's was my Sugar days. Still remember that gal, and ya....that was her name. Somethin' else that lady......crazy. Past is the past, and Thank God for it. LIfe does get better, lemme tell ya. You get smart, and quit foolin' around with fast women.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 07-13-2019 at 04:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Can't believe I was ever 26yrs old.

Shaft seals got lost. Parts doods dinna know where they got to. New ETA is Monday afternoon.

K'kins still on her house sitting gig......FOR ANOTHER 7 DAYS.

And the bale spikes still haven't arrived.

Never had a problem stabbing bales neighbor put up for me. Sometimes I couldn't lift bale high enough to prevent it sagging and dragging. Charged me per bale and no one could believe how many bales I made on my little meadow.

how come you dont wrap the round bails and make em look like big marshmellows? this way you dont lose any hay and they can sit out in the weather... and a bail clamp for the front loader works great for moving and stacking them..

Yeah, and if you wrap em' you won't have to let the hay cure in the field and lose a couple days you can get both portable and stationary wrappers... or you might try to 'caveman' it and do em' by hand.... but I think that is a lot of dizzying work

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Never had a problem stabbing bales neighbor put up for me. Sometimes I couldn't lift bale high enough to prevent it sagging and dragging. Charged me per bale and no one could believe how many bales I made on my little meadow.
    Sometimes these guys that charge, instead of taking a share of the hay, will make bales loose so's they can drop more bales per acre. If a bale sags when spiked, it's not as tight as it should be.

Because of this PTO, I had to hire a guy to bale my meadow last year.

He had a very nice JD baler, forget the model number. This guy is a custom baler, it's all he does.

Name:  hay meadow17.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  424.2 KB Charged me $22.50/bale ,which was a favor really...….we buy hay from him once in a while, and he's a decent guy.

Anyways, these bales are like a rock, literally. Almost impossible to spike with the old style spears. You wind up pushing them, instead of penetrating them.

We took the first few off the meadow, after he was done, and we settled up. He loaded them with his loader.

Name:  hay meadow18.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  391.0 KB My bale buggy had a tire that had a separated tread, so we had to use the little flatbed. I HAD ONE HECK OF A TIME GETTING THOSE BALES OFF...……..JUST ABOUT WOUND UP PUSHING THEM OFF THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRAILER

PITA to feed too...…..don't wanna come off the spike when you drop them in the feeders.

Name:  hay meadow20.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  124.1 KB We go thru quite a few bales here. 4x5.5's. Lot of hay in those, if they've been put up right

So...…….I guess it's time to upgrade, like I said.

Name:  pto68.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  220.9 KB This is the thicker spike that will be for a single spike setup (feeding). The two thinner spikes (for loading/unloading) are still on a truck somewhere I guess.

The new style spears are forged spring steel (so they say), and will really do a good job stabbing the modern tight bales.

Haven't tested the hardness on these yet. I'm wondering if they're forged full length, or just where the spear comes to a point.

I'm thinking the machined area would have to either be annealed, then rehardened...…….or turned soft, then forged. Might pay me to look at the properties of various "spring steels". I never worked with the stuff, so I'm not familiar with it.

https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...e-conus-i.html

These are the thinner ones I'm waiting on. They will be strong enough, when used as a pair. Big advantage is the smaller diameter. Allows the bale to slide on/off relatively easily.

I found some description of the process. https://metzproseries.com/C2-49-Bale-Spear-C2-49.htm

Now, whether my non German made spikes will do the same...…….guess I'll find out Hell, John Deere uses India made spears, and they seem ok (shrug)
    Last edited by farmersammm; 07-14-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Haven't tested the hardness on these yet. I'm wondering if they're forged full length, or just where the spear comes to a point.

I'm thinking the machined area would have to either be annealed, then rehardened...…….or turned soft, then forged. Might pay me to look at the properties of various "spring steels". I never worked with the stuff, so I'm not familiar with it.
    I use the same spikes and sockets to build grapples for loading 3 1400-1500 lb. 3'x4'x8' bales. 5 spikes across the bottom and 2 for each upper bale. never had an issue with them unless somebody does something dumb like trying to lift something with one spike.

That ol' gal stays gone much longer, and I ain't gonna have a liver left

But, I'm catchin' up on my music I guess.

I hate the demise of the old country sound. I don't like the new stuff...……..it's plastic, if ya know what I mean.

Tip of the hat to the old guys, (that were young when I was young)

What passes for country music these days is pure garbage.

Those stinkin' parts better get here real soon...………..this down time is killin' me.

I miss a good steel guitar...…..somethin' you don't hear a lot of these days. It's goin' to Hell in a handbasket.

Then, there were the deeeeesco nites Lotta spandex, and big hair. If you were 18, had a valid ID, you got in the door. Was a 3.2 state where I spent my younger days.

Grab a table with yer bud. And order a pitcher. Beer came in pitchers, not bottles.

Sit back, and scope out the ladies.

One ya liked...…….get up off yer butt, and go over and ask her to dance. If she liked ya, she'd dance...…...if not...…"maybe later". No biggy. Can't appeal to everyone on the planet.

Get up on the floor...……..they had floors that lit up in time with the music. Pretty cool stuff.

If I asked my bod to do, what I could do back in the day...……...I"d be in the emergency room, and K'kins would be giving me the lecture.

Anyways...…...if she danced with you for more than one dance...….things were lookin' up.

Get sweaty, and head back to her table. "Would ya like a beer?" If she said yes...……….go get a pitcher. A pitcher takes a while to drink. You're in......just gotta convince her you're an ok guy.

Dances in between the cups of brew...………….If she stays on the floor for a slow dance...……..YOWZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We asked for phone numbers back then. Wasn't a done deal......it was still up to her. If she gave you her number, it was the next step. She still had to agree to go out on a date.

Anyways I wasn't a Travolta kinda dooood. I liked better tunes.

Most of the places played this at least once during the evening.

Live version. Bit different, but still good. Dood got old...…………….HELL...……...I GOT OLD

Gooogly Oooogled a pic from back in the day...….

Name:  dc3c53d8775044d789fe3fc4f16c3e9c.png
Views: 70
Size:  58.6 KB Dam doooood, ya let it get the better of ya.

So...…...we'd be up dancing, and this was a long one..had to have endurance to take it to the end. Good stuff. Sit down, cool off, and schmooooz the lady.

F'k The Bee Gees...…….this was the better stuff.

And yer bud...…….lest we forget the bud...………….If ya got lucky, he was on his own...…...and if he got lucky......you were on yer own. We always drove to the places in our own vehicles.