Master Mechanic Strikes Again........or Oliver PTO
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Master Mechanic Strikes Again........or Oliver PTO

Last season, the pto quit working on the Oliver. Wouldn't "snap" over, and engage when the lever was pulled.

Picked up a nice pressure washer (first in my lifetime, way overdue)

Name:  pto12-1.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  195.4 KB

And hosed 'er down.

Name:  pto9.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  pto10.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  135.3 KB

Gawd, I luv that pressure washer......no soap, just water....WOW!!

Re: Master Mechanic Strikes Again........or Oliver PTO

With the aid of some special shop equipment (Uranus built, of course)

And the help of my lovely assistant

We pulled 'er out.

Name:  pto31.JPG
Views: 652
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  pto33.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  pto32.JPG
Views: 654
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  pto34.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  pto36.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  pto37.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  pto38.JPG
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  pto39.JPG
Size:  123.6 KB

Tore the clutch pack, and actuator, apart...…….and did some forensic investigation.

Name:  pto42.JPG
Views: 650
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  pto43.JPG
Size:  132.3 KB

The last oliver super 77 (actually I think it was a super 55...)pto clutch pack I did had to split the tractor... most of the frictions were broken and ground in the center I thing a couple of the plates were bad too...
    Last edited by ronsii; 06-27-2019 at 01:22 AM.

COULDN'T FIND A DAM THING WRONG WITH IT

Time to scratch Uranus, and figger out just what's wrong with the thing

I happened to be looking at the back of the tractor...………...trying the Zen thing...………..BE THE TRACTOR (yes, finger cymbals were involved)

THEN I SAW IT!!!

To make a long story longer...…………………

A year or two ago, my old friend died on me. The old New Holland 846 crapped out on me after TWENTY YEARS. Parts were about 2 weeks lead time, plus the time to install them. (might have been longer....maybe 2yrs?????????????)

So, I find a 'new' baler on CL. Boogie on over to look at it, and promptly overpay for it. What's a guy gonna do...…...had hay in the field in the windrow.

Hell, maybe it's goin' on 3yrs????????????

Anyways this new baler has an onboard computer thingy. 650 New Holland.

Gotta monitor/controller that sits in the cab.

And a plug thingy that sits on the back of the cab

Name:  pto47.JPG
Views: 651
Size:  133.2 KB Baler plugs into this box

So, I got my saffron colored robe on (complete with sandals) (Zen thing), and I'm lookin'

HOLY JAYSUS KEERIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  pto48.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  pto45.JPG
Size:  140.8 KB

THE G'D CABLE HAD SHIFTED, AND WAS BLOCKING THE LEVER When I bought the baler, it was a whirlwind thing. Bring it home, and get it in the field. I just shoved the cable thru the handiest opening in the back of the cab...….RIGHT WHERE THE F'N LEVER IS Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 644
Size:  13.7 KB

So, the gear case is sitting in the other container(been there all Winter), all ready to install. Which is gonna be a PITA.

To be continued...…………………………..

Hey!!! now you knows.
    Name:  Ernie.nose.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  55.1 KB

Yabutt……..at least now I have a true appreciation of how the PTO works

Hay.. that in itself makes it worth it... at least it would for me, I love ripping stuff apart

plus its clean as a whistle now...hope it goes back together as easily as it came apart....

Wellll, yah got a nice pressure washer, clean axx end on the tractor, new gasket on the PTO, used some tools you haven't used in awhile. Don't get no better than that.

And the tractor got one of those colon inspection things done fer free.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Well, Samm, now you know the clutch is in tip top shape and you didn't have to buy any parts. Since we're confessing our sins, I'll tell mine. Picked up a used Traeger grill. The temp probe wasn't working right so I ordered a new one. Had it all apart waiting for the new one so took the auger drive and draft fan motors apart, cleaned and oiled them. Got them back together and fired it up to see if all worked. Then the hot rod wouldn't ignite the pellets. Decided it was a coincidental thing the hot rod would quit so ordered a new one. Got the new one yesterday and installed it, still wouldn't ignite the pellets. called the factory and told them my problem and the tech said maybe there's a problem with the draft fan. Crawled on the floor and watched the fan while starting and stopping it. Some dumbass installed the motor field backward so it was sucking instead of blowing. Removed it and properly installed it and now it ignites the pellets!! Got the new temp probe today, installed it and everything is working good now. Had grilled burgers this evening and boy they are good and smoky. I've found a new love!! I guess we all have to have a dumbass moment to keep us humble!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Hey Sammm, just so ya know a good buddy of mine that manages a large farm in the phoenix area has a Deere harvester & the dang thing quit, wouldn't do ANYTHING,and as always with stuff like that he NEEDED it yesterday, he checked everything he knew to check & no-go so he filed a warranty claim and got a tech out, turns out that it was an air conditioner issue, got the A/C repaired and everything was great, the only thing I can figure is that it had something to do with maintaining cabin pressure, he said it was a computer nightmare too. On the pressure washer, get a jug of RV tank antifreeze and keep the pump treated with it, it's buttloads cheaper than the pump saver products and orks great.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 06-29-2019 at 11:48 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

The washer has lived by the front door, in the livingroom, all Winter. K'kins is not thrilled, but gives me some slack. (I am the worlds bestest dood, and treat her like gold) That goes only so far That takes care of freezing...………..I hope it doesn't mess with required lube during storage

Name:  washer.JPG
Views: 432
Size:  220.7 KB

Ya, the house is a mess......but we're gettin' old.

Tell her to look at the bright side.... now you can wash yer' boots off right at the front door!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Tell her to look at the bright side.... now you can wash yer' boots off right at the front door!!!!
    It gets even better

Name:  drive shaft oliver.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  185.3 KB That's the driveshaft out of the Oliver. Been sitting there since I tore it down last Winter She'll be happy when it's gone sometime this week. She wears those fuzzy lined slipper things in the morning, and usually stubs her toes on it at least once a week.

Looks like your k'kins and my better half could share some stories what with drive shafts laying around the kitchen and such...
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    It gets even better

Name:  drive shaft oliver.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  185.3 KB That's the driveshaft out of the Oliver. Been sitting there since I tore it down last Winter She'll be happy when it's gone sometime this week. She wears those fuzzy lined slipper things in the morning, and usually stubs her toes on it at least once a week.
    Hay, You don't want it to rust outside!!!! LOL!!!!

When the wife and I first got married we were living in a small 2 bedroom house, the second bedroom was my "storage room" and contained a few car parts, notably a small box full of differential gears, hell, it must have weighed more than 60 lbs, well she got a little pissed one night and kicked that box, guess what, it didn't move, but her big toe swelled up about double size, that little box was about 8 inches square, maybe as much as 10 and about the same depth. She toned it right down.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

It's all a trade off I guess.

She likes to do a shower sometimes twice a day. I casually mentioned (a decade ago), that this modern septic system we have, runs grey water thru the leach field. This clay around here doesn't really like to absorb too much water. This has been the 3rd wettest Winter/Spring on record. The pen where I store round bales has a nice little pond filled with green water from the overflow from the leach field. Lost about 20% of my storage area to the sewage until it starts to dry up around here. I've never said a word about it. (Well sorta)

We let the cows go in, and graze that pen to clean it up. I told her we couldn't do it, because of the sewage. "Oh, ok" I just gaze at the horizon, and go about what I'm doing

Tradeoffs Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 320
Size:  1.1 KB

Gasket Time

Not sure if they're even available anymore,, but sure, if they are, they're a bit on the pricey side. And, I've recently cut ties with my tractor parts guy (was an incident involving this whole rebuild, and sending me non genuine parts)

Anyways...………….

Take some poster board, the lighter weight stuff, but still pretty stiff.

Cut a window so's it'll fit around the gears.

Name:  pto50.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  175.0 KB

Use magnets to hold it to the case (welding magnets are indeed good for something I guess)

Name:  pto51.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  225.1 KB

Use a ball peen hammer to gently tap around the holes, and punch the poster board out.

Name:  pto52.JPG
Size:  205.2 KB

Name:  pto53.JPG
Size:  211.6 KB While the poster board is still attached with the magnets, trace the shape of the case around the underside.

Cut your outside shape that you've traced.

Name:  pto54.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  220.3 KB

Take a compass, and determine the width of the gasket.

Name:  pto55.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  185.6 KB

Use it to trace around the outside edge of the template, and transfer the width.

Name:  pto56.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  207.8 KB

Cut it out, and ya got a perfect (well sorta ) template to make yer gasketName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Size:  1.1 KB

Name:  pto57.JPG
Size:  201.5 KB

The reason I need to use a template is twofold. First off...……..the gasket material is too tough to transfer the bolt holes with a ball peen, without damaging the material. Second...…….the gasket material is in a tight roll, and needs to be flattened to work with..making it impossible to manage like the template was.

The little notches on the inside of the template(if you look close) are where I messed up, and didn't cut the blank wide enough on the inside before starting. They'll get filled in when I cut the real gasket.

now you can start making gaskets and selling them on the interwebs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    now you can start making gaskets and selling them on the interwebs!!!
    There's been nothing new since Man fell outta the trees. It's all been done before.

I like to pass along stuff that was passed to me. It's a chain...……….Nothing new, just a reiteration.

And, besides...…………………….I AM THE THE GREATEST MECHANIC IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE...………………………...Ok, I'm over it