CHEAP fixture welding table deal, northern tool
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

CHEAP fixture welding table deal, northern tool

Northern tool has their welding tables/fixture sets on sale right now, GREAT price i'm going to have to snag one for myself. Klutch Steel Welding Table w/ Tool Kit for $179 - $20 w/ keycode 266361 = $159. normal price is $379. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2274_200712274 top is only 4mm but the price is pretty unbelievable and this should blow the ubiquitous HF/stronghand table out the water. Unfortunately shipping to home is ~$40 for southern california, but if you have a store near you ship to store is free.

Anyone have any experience with these tables/fixture sets? I wonder how they are quality wise, unfortunately there are no brick and motor northern tool stores around me to check them out in the flesh.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 07-07-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Re: CHEAP fixture welding table deal, northern tool

I don't think I'd have much faith in a 5/32" table top!! IMO it's overpriced at $179!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

yeah it's definitely not a table to beat things on, but it should be plenty stout for most home gamers. Looks like a good deal for a field table if you use it in a "table top" configuration. Plate is expensive here, not sure why, but when you factor in the drilled holes (accurately spaced and aligned) and clamp/fixture set 159 seems pretty damn reasonable to me.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 07-08-2019 at 12:06 AM.

I wasn't thinking of hammering, just if things are clamped down too hard the give in the top will throw alignments out of whack. Just my opinion so I might be wrong.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Yeah i can see that happening. I wish i could afford a REAL acorn style cast table, one of these days!

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I wasn't thinking of hammering, just if things are clamped down too hard the give in the top will throw alignments out of whack. Just my opinion so I might be wrong.
    Mike
    It even says so in the description. "exceptional flexibility in fixture setup".
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

CHEAP, is what you get. IF you are doing light gauge small pieces it could work. As for a REAL welding table , NO ! Fixture tables are fine IF you use it as such. A welding table for me is , solid thick top, overhang , able to take hammering on, and you set 500 pounds or more on it safely. Everyone has different needs depending on their projects.
    That table wouldn't last 15 minutes with me using it.

craigslist for Tucson...

https://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/d/...923461548.html

don't know what the shipping would be to ya at 3,000#s but...

Is that Klutch top pegboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL Some of you guys let this one go over your head. Obviously it's small, light duty, and cheap - that's the whole point imo - and with that comes options (mobility, doesn't hurt your wallet to modify it, etc). It was never implied nor is it presented as a 2k lb, $1,000 welding table. Do none of you ever use a small, light duty welding table (or improvised for that matter, I KNOW you all do or you aint working lol) or do you all only use *real* welding tables (field work included)?

I was thinking of putting it on some drawer slides (2 or 3 100lb rated slides) under a wood (that is used for woodwork) work table. The table is mobile and light (compared to my main *Real* table) so I often end up using it for quick little metalwork projects/repairs. It's tearing up the top so this would have been a nice solution had shipping not talked me out of it.

Some of you guys can turn anything into a pissing contest haha - trust me, it aint my *huge* welding table i'm most proud of .

I feel so...…………………………………………..inadequate...…………………………..

My welding table has a 3/16 top (blushing, eyes downcast, big lump in throat)

I don't beat on my table, never had need to I fixture off of two trestles, tack, and weld it up...……..then straighten it (shrug). You could clamp your stuff to a battleship, weld it out, and it will go "SPROING", when you take the clamps off...…………...so...…….what's the point It's the initial fitup that matters, lestways as far as I've seen.

Hard to type, what with tears in my eyes Had supper with K'kins this evening, and she reached across the table, and dingled my nose hairs I'm sorta goin' to seed since she's been gone. But anyhow...…………..I ain't got batteries in the nose hair thingy she got for me, and I'm just pullin' 'em out by the handful. OUCH BUT!!!!!!!!!! IF'N YA PULL 'EM OUT BY THE ROOTS, THEY TAKE A LONG TIME TO GROW BACK

Carry on...…….

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    LOL Do none of you ever use a small, light duty welding table (or improvised for that matter, I KNOW you all do or you aint working lol).
    The first pic is my old table made out of an old table saw stand. Note the angle iron extensions on the legs. It was brazed and torch welded.
    Second pic is what I am replacing it with.

I Definitely agree about the welds pulling regardless of how securely fixed you had it. You have to dance with the distortion, and sometimes it doesn't go your way and you have to step on a few toes (with a big hammer).

I have some LI-Ion rechargeable batteries for things like trimmers that are used often and just eat them up. Even so I still stock up at the dollar tree and end up using them when I forget to recharge lol. There's always that one (or more) really thick, steel like nose hair that hurts to your brain when you pull it out! You can almost feel/hear the "poinnnng" sound like it was spring steel that you just plucked out of your skull. Comes out with this huge root ball like it was 100 year old oak too haha.

In my experience most pros mainly clamp to tack, and then remove clamps for the welding bc they practice good fitup and plan/compensate for any distortion they predict. One thing i don't see used often except in pipline is wedges, I use them to correct/control distortion on tricky bits - again mainly during tacking. On pieces where the shrink forces will be huge I'm a fan of good, solid tacks. I cringe when I see youtubers quicking running over a cold tack. I don't mind feathering them as it usually only takes seconds None of that choppers bs closing your eyes for half a second show of sparks for the cameras.

Looks like a nice upgrade jeffrey.penfield, should serve you well! Your first welding table is a perfect example of a function over everything else, I bet you got a nice return of investment on that one. Your new table is a nice goldilocks size (just right for a smaller space), and you did the right thing making the frame beefy.

One thing that I also forgot to mention (and I know it's not just me lol) is every solid surface around me has the magical ability to turn itself into a junk drawer. I'm bad about setting things down on my tables "for just a second" until things are falling off left and right and I'm forced to do some housekeeping. That's a hidden advantage of tables that can be "put away" or folded.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 07-16-2019 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Saw Jeffrey's build thread

Top is 4x4 x 1/2 inch thick.