Squarewave 355 - Water Cooling Question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Squarewave 355 - Water Cooling Question

I have a squarewave 355 with the water cooling valves. I currently have a both a water cooled torch and an air cooled torch. I have always ran the water cooled torch and pumped coolant through the torch and welder. I do mostly light welding <150amps. I'd like to simplify the setup and declutter a bit and just run my air cooled torch, would the welder still need the cooling water flowing through it? The manual wasn't clear on if the valves were installed and not used. I don't want to damage the valves or the welder by running it without cooling and just my air cooled torch. Thanks!

Re: Squarewave 355 - Water Cooling Question

No you don't need to run water thru the machine. Forget the valves.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Some machines with integrated coolers without a separate on switch for the cooler - they have a "link" pipe to allow the water to circulate without using the torch. Our lincoln aspect came with the link pipe as part of the package.

Most sytems use a small bore bypass between the 2 connectors (coolant out and coolant return) where you would plug in your torch, so coolant will still circulate without a torch connected.
    If you open up your cooler you can probably see/find the bypass.
    If you have one then you can just plug in a gascooled torch, if you do not have a bypass you can use two male plugs and a small piece of hose to connect the output and return together (but i doubt you need it)

Also, only the torch and the torch power cable are watercooled, your welder is not, that is always cooled by a fan or made to be fanless, although the cooler can be part of the welder coolant will never flow through the welder to cool anything there.

Not that one of course but they do have water cooled welders,

https://www.romanmfg.com/products/resistance-welding/
    Last edited by danielplace; 07-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.

I'd be worried about the size of the current supply wire that is inside the water hose, on my machine the water pump quit working and it melted the wire before I figured out what was going on. I was welding a lot of chromemoly tubing back then, not all that much amperage. I cut the hose apart to see what happened and was shocked at how tiny the supply wire is, since then I check water flow often.

Quote Originally Posted by ojh View Post
    I'd be worried about the size of the current supply wire that is inside the water hose, on my machine the water pump quit working and it melted the wire before I figured out what was going on. I was welding a lot of chromemoly tubing back then, not all that much amperage. I cut the hose apart to see what happened and was shocked at how tiny the supply wire is, since then I check water flow often.
    That is the reason I pump water in the power cable side as opposed to the other to keep air pockets from forming around the power cable. I also bought a few of the CK fuse blocks before they were discontinued. No water and the cheap copper strip melts instead of the power cable..
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    That is the reason I pump water in the power cable side as opposed to the other to keep air pockets from forming around the power cable. I also bought a few of the CK fuse blocks before they were discontinued. No water and the cheap copper strip melts instead of the power cable..
    I didn't think it was possible to have any air pockets in the closed loop. Do you think it happens due to a form of cavitation ?
    Ernie F.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to have any air pockets in the closed loop. Do you think it happens due to a form of cavitation ?
    Not always a closed loop. There is a pressure side of the torch and a relief side of the torch, closed loop or open loop. All of my coolers are open loop. I prefer to keep 35psi or so pressure in the power cable to minimize air potential around the power cable. Then after it has passed the coolant through the torch the pressure normalizes as it makes it's way to the radiator. A lot of times the radiator dumps into a fill cup over the reservoir. Many times the pump dumps it's coolant back into the system and needs to prime itself driving out the air. Or it needs to be coaxed into priming. That could lead to air in the loop.

I learned the hard way when I replaced the pump on my Miller that it had over 200psi, the machine is rated over 400amps w/60% duty cycle and that supply wire inside the hose looked to me like about an 18ga wire. It takes lots of water to keep it from melting.