building own welding table
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

hi,

so im a pipe welder, not a lot of work in my area so decided to be my own boss with my time off and setting up my pathetically small one car garage as kind of a shop, im building a 3x5 welding table, not sure if i want to make the top out of one piece of plate steel or do that "slatted" thing with rectangular tubing, wondering what people would recommend? i know some carpenters who want metal table legs, got told they really like custom brackets for counter top supports too, nothing crazy to start with.

Re: building own welding table

Depends on how much time you want to spend making it versus do you want to slap one together quick so you can start earning? Here's what I did for my 3x5 table, didn't take long to build and I have never felt the need for slats. YMMV

Name:  table3.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  79.3 KBName:  Table 4.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  85.5 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Depends on how much time you want to spend making it versus do you want to slap one together quick so you can start earning? Here's what I did for my 3x5 table, didn't take long to build and I have never felt the need for slats. YMMV

Name:  table3.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  79.3 KBName:  Table 4.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  85.5 KB
    Nice simple design. I like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

thanks,

im waiting for the stuff for the frame to arrive, gonna build that first (hope im not ****ing myself since itd be way easier if i had the top to help fit it up) im probably going a little nuts, taking my time to make a pretty heavy duty one, i havent shopped around much just went to one place a friend recommended, doing the frame with 2x2 tube 1/8 thick, if i put a top on it thats 3/8 thick plate ill cost me about 800 canadian to make, are there people who would buy it for at least the cost of the steel if i ever sold it or are you pretty much ****ed? saying that i want to some stuff like make the feet adjustable, wheels on a telescoping piece, vice, outlets, all that stuff.

Here's one I did with one of my students. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ble&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by ex-diver View Post
    thanks,

im waiting for the stuff for the frame to arrive, gonna build that first (hope im not ****ing myself since itd be way easier if i had the top to help fit it up) im probably going a little nuts, taking my time to make a pretty heavy duty one, i havent shopped around much just went to one place a friend recommended, doing the frame with 2x2 tube 1/8 thick, if i put a top on it thats 3/8 thick plate ill cost me about 800 canadian to make, are there people who would buy it for at least the cost of the steel if i ever sold it or are you pretty much ****ed? saying that i want to some stuff like make the feet adjustable, wheels on a telescoping piece, vice, outlets, all that stuff.
    That is about $610 US dollars and seems high. I bought 4x4 x1/2 plate and 2x2 x1/4 tubing 40 feet and 4x8 expanded metal for $440 US for a table. Are you picking it up or paying shipping costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work out of an 8'x20' shipping container, so space is an issue.
    I built my 3'x8' 'table' out of 1-1/2" angle iron legs and an 1-1/2" angle top frame. I use 3' sections of 1" square tubing to span the distance from one end of the top frame to the other. I just clamp these square tubes where I need them, so the entire table top is one giant hole until I start putting in my 1" tubes. I have 12 tubes set aside for spanning purposes and have never had occasion to use all of them for a single project.
    I figured the sections of steel I'm typically using to build something don't need support anywhere but the ends, so that's where I put the tubes. The 1" tubes are strong enough to not flex under the weight I typically work with (1/16" thru 1/4") and I can use 3" clamps to clamp the work to the tubes to make everything rigid.
    The clamps are cheap as dirt, the tubes are cheap as dirt and the angle iron is cheap as dirt. I'd like to have a tab & slot table, but the tooling for it costs a fortune to fit in those precision holes. If I had a production shop where I needed multiples of a particular design, I'd spend the money for the table & tooling. But as I weld for my own business needs, I build one off items that come out just fine on my cheap system.
    To my knowledge, I own:
    50% of all the plasma cutters,
    33% of all the TIG welders and
    20% of all the MIG welders on the island.

I own 1 of each.

Quote Originally Posted by RoatanBill View Post
    I built my 3'x8' 'table' out of 1-1/2" angle iron legs and an 1-1/2" angle top frame. I use 3' sections of 1" square tubing to span the distance from one end of the top frame to the other. I just clamp these square tubes where I need them, so the entire table top is one giant hole until I start putting in my 1" tubes. I have 12 tubes set aside for spanning purposes and have never had occasion to use all of them for a single project.
    I figured the sections of steel I'm typically using to build something don't need support anywhere but the ends, so that's where I put the tubes. The 1" tubes are strong enough to not flex under the weight I typically work with (1/16" thru 1/4") and I can use 3" clamps to clamp the work to the tubes to make everything rigid.
    The clamps are cheap as dirt, the tubes are cheap as dirt and the angle iron is cheap as dirt. I'd like to have a tab & slot table, but the tooling for it costs a fortune to fit in those precision holes. If I had a production shop where I needed multiples of a particular design, I'd spend the money for the table & tooling. But as I weld for my own business needs, I build one off items that come out just fine on my cheap system.
    I like the idea of using the adjustable tubes. You use 3" clamps to hold it to the tubes, what do you use to hold the tubes to the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by RoatanBill View Post
    Right now metal is cheap. You should consider getting a 4x4x1/2 inch top for 1/2 of the table and using the 3 foot bars as cross supports for it.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words ...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

The first shot is the entrance to my welding cave. The Morse Metal Devil is attached to what I call the 'Devils Elevator' hung on the end of my table. I can raise and lower the entire saw so that lengths of metal rest on the table for support as I cut off sections. I have the additional jaws for the saw for square tubing, angle iron, round stock and those jaws raise the metal above the saws tiny table, so I lower the entire saw to where my home made welding table allows the metal to rest on it for support. I use a socket in a wrench, drill or impact tool to raise and lower the saw as needed.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots show how how I secure the tubes to the frame. I installed rivnuts in the tube ends and then use a 1/4x20 bolt and scrap metal to clamp the tube to the frame.

The last shot is of how I clamp things to the tubes. I'm working on a cantilever stand for a microwave oven for my wife's business. The steel was bright and shiny last night but is rusted this morning thanks to island humidity. I hate cleaning steel.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

That is a tight work space.

Jeffrey - nothing is cheap on the island. The thickest material I can get in large sheets is 1/8" and that's all hot rolled where the sheet center is an inch below the edges. I'd have to import from Miami to get what you're suggesting and that involves customs duty, shipping, mandatory insurance, etc, etc, etc. Nothing's cheap here.

And, yes, I can't gain any weight because I couldn't fit in the space if I did.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Thank you for those pics, Bill! I like that design.

I don’t have those jaws on my dry cut saw, but this is what I did for one of my my bandsaws.

I’ll never again complain about the cost of living on my island. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; Yesterday at 10:22 AM.
    :