Newbi Question About flow gauge
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Newbi Question About flow gauge

So i just hooked my mig up to gas as i've been just using flux. The flow meter is the steel ball supposed to stay up all the time or just when the trigger is pulled and welding?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Newbi Question About flow gauge

The ball should rise when gas is flowing, settled when no flow.

Thanks! Wasn't sure so it had me checking for leaks which i found 2 small ones at solenoid so that was good at least.

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadmike View Post
    So i just hooked my mig up to gas as i've been just using flux. The flow meter is the steel ball supposed to stay up all the time or just when the trigger is pulled and welding?
    AirGas.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Whats wrong with air gas?

Whats wrong with air gas?
    If you have to ask, you might have a good location near you. Or it may be a "typical" location where they make up for their bulk large-volume sales by charging the DIY welder heaps more than they need to pay for gasses, and you may not know it.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

There's only 2 places that sell gas/welding supplies near me so not much of a choice haha. Air gas i paid $270.54 After state and county tax and a 4.50 hazmat fee. And the fill up.
    It's $36 to refill the #80 tank. The other welding store fussed when i asked for a 80 tank and wanted to lease me the tank and said its $73 Refill.

There's only 2 places that sell gas/welding supplies near me so not much of a choice haha. Air gas i paid $270.54 After state and county tax and a 4.50 hazmat fee. And the fill up.
    It's $36 to refill the #80 tank. The other welding store fussed when i asked for a 80 tank and wanted to lease me the tank and said its $73 Refill.
    You see that Airgas lettering on the neck? They legally own that bottle and other suppliers may scoff at refilling it. When you are done you rightfully have to give it to Airgas. Only a no name ringed bottle is customer owned. So they got ya. I would return it for a refund and buy a bottle on line.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

For instance here is an online offering with free shipping and no tax if you are out of that state. $187.

And notice there is no owner lettering on the neck ring. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...xoCIjgQAvD_BwE

Wow i can't believe i missed that!? I'll be calling them monday to talk to them about that! But he did say when i go in for a refill all it actually is is a swap for another tank.He said that way i'd never get stuck paying & waiting to having the tank re certified/pressure tested. plus there's only 2 refill areas around me and they are the cheapest.

$36 isn't too bad, but it could be less. I pay that much to refill a 125ft³ tank. But then again, it all varies by location. So long as they keep the price right around there, it's no too bad, because others have it a lot worse.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

The air gas around here isn't to bad, good employees anyway, I hve bottles from many the price difference is not worth changing, I will say the so. Wisconsin place that moved down here which I delt with the last 10 years and liked, got a guy that just plain boldface lied to my face, I will never buy from Welders Supply again just because of the little pimp salesman, it's all location

Yeah location! where i'm at its deal with what you got or tough luck. The guy's here seemed nice but it was my first time and i was giving them money soo we'll see haha

Wow i can't believe i missed that!? I'll be calling them monday to talk to them about that! But he did say when i go in for a refill all it actually is is a swap for another tank.He said that way i'd never get stuck paying & waiting to having the tank re certified/pressure tested. plus there's only 2 refill areas around me and they are the cheapest.
    They should have customer owned bottles to swap as well. As long as your bottle is still in date it should not be an issue. At least that is the way it works in SoCal.

I pay $60 for a refill on an 80 tank at my local air gas. The employees there are super cool and most of them do know there stuff.

Everything in the store does seem to be priced at the very upper end of reasonable. There’s no good deals but you also aren’t getting ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as the bottle was hydro tested in the last 10 years there is no charge... they are only certified every 10 years and that hydro test is usually $20-$28 I end up with alota bottles that were left in sheds etc.. for well over a decade like the stuff I got last February (that valentines day deal where I hauled off the old dodge diesel and found all the 20 year old brand new Miller stuff under the camper shell... ended up hauling off a shed full of Argon, oxygen and C-25 bottles all 125s from the same place and all dated 1996) have swapped bottles throughout most of the western USA same deal hydrotest price has went up 15 years ago it was only $7.50

BTW when ya do swap owner bottles ALWAYS look to see what the last certification date was stamped on the bottle... I've had em try to give me ones that were within a year of expiring before.. no big deal as I usually swap em again within a month or two but still I like a lil cushion..
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 07-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerSteez View Post
    I pay $60 for a refill on an 80 tank at my local air gas.
    Then you get ripped off.

The standard price for a tank fill on 80 is $16. Anyone charging more is taking you to the bank. Here we see 3 different stores around me. Airgas being the most expensive, yet still half what you paid. The second being slightly less, and the third being the actual uninflated price of an 80 cu tank.

Name:  R6+OG4ioTuOa9O%2DUWAww.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  wd1PZDdfQjaCHsyn8zAAIA.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  ULmrugyAS1Oj+2P8vklrOw.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  72.4 KB
    Last edited by One1; 07-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    Then you get ripped off.

The standard price for a tank fill on 80 is $16. Anyone charging more is taking you to the bank. Here we see 3 different stores around me. Airgas being the most expensive, yet still half what you paid. The second being slightly less, and the third being the actual uninflated price of an 80
    Wow I really do get ripped off then, jeeze. Looks like I’m driving further for my refills from now on haha