Optrel Crystal 2.0
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Optrel Crystal 2.0

I just made a purchase for a new welder and had the option of getting an Optrel Crystal 2.0 for an awesome price so I went ahead and made the purchase blindly and looked it up after the fact. I like the looks of it and wanted to get some real world feedback from people that have it and or have used one. Do you like it? How much better is the clarity and color? I have seen a couple people say that it is brighter and had to shade it a little more than normal.

Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Optrel Crystal 2.0

I have that. Great clarity, quality problem. Pay attention to the flickering red LED light when you are grinding so that you don’t get flushed when you switch back to welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water cooled torch
    Optrel Crystal 2.0

What quality issues have you been experiencing?

None. This is a high-quality well executed Product. I think of the concept of “quality” is not assessed the same way at that level of engineering and execution as one would have with the Harbor Freight type stuff commonly discussed on forums.

That said, I think that there are personal preferences such as comfort of the headgear, which some people have mentioned on various forms. I did not experience that problem, so I can’t comment. Sometimes the headgear can be loose when the helmet is lifted so you need to tighten the band a bit.

Optrel Crystal 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by koenbro View Post
    I have that. Great clarity, quality problem. Pay attention to the flickering red LED light when you are grinding so that you don’t get flushed when you switch back to welding.

Sorry i see Now where your question comes from. I misstyped on my phone. Apologies. I have no quality problems.

Optrel Crystal 2.0

Haha, ok, all good! I was hoping there wasn't a quality issue with it but you never know...

Thanks for your review. Mine should be here this Friday or next Monday and can't wait to try it out!

Sometimes it's about the environment too.

I had a super busy Summer last year, and was skipping between welding, and working in the field,,,,,,or trying to work in the field. Was the reason for all the welding.

Anyways...….usually I put my hood up in the house when done. Air conditioned.

Last year, I just hung the thing by the door, on the air manifold from the compressor...….and left it out there overnite for days on end. On top of this, it was extremely hot, and I had a lot of sweat dripping inside the hood when working.

Long story short...…………………………………..The dam spring that holds the batteries in place corroded. The one on the positive side of the battery.

Now, with no warning, the hood will shut down, and I get flashed. It's the corrosion on the terminals/spring.

I tried putting some abrasive paper up in there, and rotating it. It's inside a tube sorta thing, and you can't really get to it. Sorta helped, but once corrosion sets in, it's pretty permanent thing to deal with.

So now, I gotta give the hood a little smack once in a while to jiggle the batteries so that they make contact properly.

I won't switch hoods. I love the Jackson. It's the only one that gives true real colors. The puddle isn't a green blob, or a blue blob...…...it's the color of molten metal. Yellows, oranges, blacks...…….it's why they call it the True Sight.

And, as expected...……...ya can't get to the spring to replace it. It's all sealed up in the unit. Typical new age crap...…...non serviceable.

I have the Vega view 2.5, I was unaware they made a 2.0, let me tell you the 2.5 is pretty awesome, the 2.0 will be even better,

I'll say this, if you ever do a lot of heavy welding, ie: spray arc, you'll find that shade 12 isn't dark enough

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Well, I have a small update... I ended up getting the Optrel Crystal 2.0 and have used it a few times for a few minutes here & there and so far I am really happy with it! I bought a brand new Lincoln Powermig 256 and got the helmet for half off. Sadly I've only welded about 4" with the Powermig but have tig welded several steel & stainless steel items and absolutely love the Crystal 2.0 so far with the minimal amount that I've used it.