Help Me Keep From Doing Something Stoopid - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Help Me Keep From Doing Something Stoopid

....and the saga continues. Magneto gear......the fiber gear is in good shape, however, the "C" & "A" marking is no longer visible. The gear shaft has a "flat" on it where the rotor sits. I assume that when matcher the small gear to the fiber gear and aligning the "notch" with the "C", the rotor would be pointing to a certain cylinder position on the cap.............Wondering about the proper way to mate the two gears and end up with the correct "timing"....................

Easy way out is to buy a new gear....

How to mate the larger gear to the smaller gear when the "C" and "A" marks are not visible any longer.................

Any clues...???

While I know little of the particular engine you are working on, i presume the matching of gear teeth is about the camshaft being timed to the crankshaft. In a four cycle engine the crank turns twice as fast as the cam.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

That's a great video IF you have the "C" and "A" mark on the gear.........

thanks

The fiber gear shaft has a flat spot, reference this to the gear.

http://www.magnetoparts.com/mag_docs/fm/j4_inst.pdf

need to find a good picture of fiber gear

http://www.mcssl.com/store/4833177/f...rts/fiber-gear

https://www.weldmart.com/main/techni...nkstiming.html
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 08-08-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
    So while I'm talking to myself out loud I need to think about a new lead block. You know, that riveted on piece of material where the leads exit the stator housing (barrel) and go the selector switch and various other places. Mine is kinda there and I can use it for a template for the holes....but it's cracked and missing a corner so I may as well replace it. What are the smart people using for this?

thanks
    Link to a great post on how to:

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ed+another+one

OK, I have spark! Thank you guajilloweld03 for posting that pic from Weldmart. I used the drawing of the lines coming off the flat on the gear shaft to determine "C". My only question is if I were off b a tooth, how does that affect the magneto output? Right now via the "paper clip test" I get a nice spark every 4th "click" of the impulse coupler. Which brings up another question. When I reassembled the impulse coupler, I just turned the outer part one time to tighten the spring. When I tried to go past one more round, it seemed very difficult to get it to where you could actuall sandwhich everything properly. I hope my spring tension is correct, I mean, I get a spark........... For the magneto, I ended up replacing the bearing, seal, outer seal cover/washer, screws, points, condenser, felt washer, and shutdown post/insulators, nuts. I'm gonna call it a win for now.

I replaced the governor flyweight shaft bearing. I have the other two bearings and seal, but that all feels very solid as is and there were never any signs of leakage so I will leave that alone. I do need to run it through the blast cabinet (whilst protecting all the soft parts (seal area).

Onward!

Your welcome, if your off a tooth she will not run correctly. She will fire early or to late depending which way your off. By looking at picture you will get it on correct spot.

I've ran into the same thing when i had to replace the fiber gear. The new one didn't have "C" or "A". So I just rotate the the impulse coupling where the lugs are horizontal to install into the governor gear, the dots on the Cam and Governor gear are aligned at #4 TDC, and the points open with the rotor pointed at #4 on the cap.
    Last edited by BYW200; 08-10-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    SA 200s : 1944 1963 1965 1969 1980 1982
    1981 SA 250 D3.152 DC only
    2004 Ranger 10,000
    Lincoln Pro Mig 135
    Miller Load Bank
    Hobart GPB 258 Pipeliner
    Hobart GPB 261 Mainliner
    Hobart Airforce 250
    Everlast PA 200st

Exciter housing and fan shroud made it to the blaster this morning. All brush holder assemblies are bead blasted and restored.......magneto and governor waiting to be mounted........need to source a local place to take the main and exciter armatures to for rehab (was welding good when disassembled). Movin' right along...

OK.....still plodding along. Cobbled up a "base station" for the machine.

Name:  Machine Cart.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  109.5 KB

This is where she will pretty much live, at least until completed to my satisfaction. My work space is so small I have to be able to virtually spin her on a dime and move it out of the way. The engine is pretty much assembled and still on an engine stand. I need to place the frame/chassis on the "cart" and then place the engine on the frame/chassis. So I'll have to securely "block" it up in the rear so that I can start mounting the adapter plate, flywheel, and so forth. Perhaps make some sort of temporary bracket/mount to hold the rear end about where it will be when the generator is attached. My plan is to start getting things in place so I can do some "test firing" on the engine while I am slowly getting the generator end in order. That may take some time but I am working on it. Any special precautions I need to prepare for when running the engine without the generator end attached.....?

thanks.....more to come....

OK, so I'm out in the garage awhile ago looking at my flywheel. I don't see ANY markings on it. The flywheel is sitting on a flat surface.....so I can see the whole thing. I thought maybe primer filled in the stamps. Took a very fine grit sanding disc and buffed it up lightly.......no markings anywhere. Now, as I understand it, the flywheel will only bolt on one way so that's fine. I guess I just won't have a reference point to check timing and will have to do timing issues by the seat of the pants...??? This is getting better all the time.

WWWAAAAIITTT!!!!

Name:  Flywheel Timing Marks.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  106.6 KB

I am being a dumba$$..............

Well....this is good. I think it must be time to watch the Texans kick the...outta New Orleans and maybe a shorty Jameson....and nighty nite

WWWAAAAIITTT!!!!

Name:  Flywheel Timing Marks.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  106.6 KB

I am being a dumba$$..............

Well....this is good. I think it must be time to watch the Texans kick the...outta New Orleans and maybe a shorty Jameson....and nighty nite
    Uhhh yes. And how did the results of that game work out for you? Dont count on the outcome before it happens! You should have just worked on your machine and not watched the game. It would have been a better out come for you.
    Its hot and I am sweaty all over!

Well, the whole day was kinda like that. The good news is the Saints are my second favorite team.

Well, the whole day was kinda like that. The good news is the Saints are my second favorite team.
    I hear you. I just had to rag on you a bit. It definitely did look like the Saints were going to get their backsides handed to them for most of the game. To be honest, I did not think they were going to pull out the win at the end of the game.

A little more progress. The engine is now off the engine stand and on the chassis.

Name:  Engine to Frame 1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  Engine to Frame 2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  85.8 KB

There are 5 7/16" bolts holding the adapter plate on. The 2 lower holes that fit over the guide bushings have a larger hole. Is 7/16" flat/lock washer the correct combination or just flats...??

I guess flywheel install is next, then governor, then magneto.......

So I already know not to use washers on the 2 lower bolts...............engine won't turn...hitting bolt heads....OK lesson learned.

Now, just to clarify a timing issues when I install the governor. I turn the engine clockwise (from radiator end) until I see the dot on the cam gear (from the magneto side). Does this position have to correspond with #4 cyl. on TDC/comp stroke? Or can i just find the dot and mesh the governor "2-dot" gear to the cam gear? I'm worn out...........

I realize I'm just talking out loud to get myself through this. Here is the new rear engine block-up scheme.

Name:  Engine Blocked Up.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  58.4 KB

So just to go back into timing......When I see the dot on the cam gear tooth from the magneto side, I can rotate the crankshaft 2 full revolutions before I see the dot again. But when I see the cam gear dot, it has nothing to do with the "D/C" mark on the flywheel......right?

So if I understand, I need to have the cam gear dot in sight, put my finger on the #4 spark plug hole, rotate the crankshaft clockwise (when looking at it from the radiator end) 2 full revolutions in which I will either feel compression (pressure blowing out the hole) or suction/nothing. So when, after 2 revolutions I feel pressure, I look at the cam gear and see the dot, and that's where the governor "2-dots" should mate up to.

That will be tomorrow's project. At least I am still moving forward.

OK, here's a good one. I was looking at some pics I took and it occured to me that I have a turbocharged full blown F163

Name:  TURBO.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  144.8 KB

(you're supposed to note all the dust collection stuff that seems as it's attached to the motor)......

OK, a little more progress.....mag and governor install..........

Name:  Progress 1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  121.0 KB

Starter now on.....

Name:  Progress 2.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  115.2 KB

I think the chassis I ended up with is from a later Blackface...note the missing cross member on the lifting yoke for the gas tank supports to tie into.

Name:  Progress 3.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  115.3 KB

...and going through my cabinet of original parts, I ran across these.....can't freakin' remember what/wher they go or why....maybe something to do with gas tank...?

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm getting closer to first fire. Need to get a radiator. I have the original but the brackets, especially the bottom one is in bad shape as in not soldered to the radiator. Same goes for the top one.

Thanks fer lookin'

Name:  Mystery Disks.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  274.2 KB

Oops! forgot to post the pic......these.....

Looking good so far!

Got the belt and fan blade on.....

I had a thought a while ago. I think I will take my existing radiator, as is, and set it on the radiator support and somehow fasten the 2 studs to it. Then attach the upper and lower hoses. With that done, I think the radiator will have enough support for the test run. The hoes will keep it from tilting into the spinning fan blade. With that done I will buy a new 1-quart metal paint can from HD and take a brass "1/4"-npt brass bulkhead fitting" on the bottom to serve as temporary gas tank. I will hose clamp/tie wrap it to the lifting yoke higher than the carb. Then rig up a 6" choke cable. Then put some oil and water in the proper holes. Then buy a battery. Hook up the basic circuitry to get her started......and then...................

I will have the front motor mount snugged up nicely. I will probably go ahead and rig some form of "tie-down" across the rear of the motor just for peace of mind. Remember, when I had the machine work done, it was done by a guy that does dynamic balancing for 10,000 RPM Sprint cars. He balanced the engine train rotating parts on my motor the same way. I'm hoping if I get it to start that it doesn't jump around too much.

When I started this thread, I was hoping to be talked in to selling this beast. You guys told me not to, that I would regret it. So far ya'll have been right. I think I need to start slowing down and really think things through so's not to make a stoopid mistake during the startiup phase of this project. Even though this is the easy part.....still have to have a wrestling match with the generator end. But I have all the cable, hydraulic crimper, high-quality heat shrink tubing, etc. ready to go.

thanks.....