Clean power and THD off engine Driven Welders
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Clean power and THD off engine Driven Welders

Hey guys, it’s been a while

Just a quick question: I know my inverter based welders require “clean” power, I was looking at getting a engine drive, most likely the Bobcat 250 and wanted to know if the 240v output was clean enough to run my other welders, and plasma cutter off of without performance loss?

Any advice much appreciated!
    Last edited by Mmock4; 07-13-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Re: Clean power and THD off engine Driven Welders

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Hey guys, it’s been a while

Just a quick question: I know my inverter based welders require “clean” power, I was looking at getting a engine drive, most likely the Bobcat 250 and wanted to know if the 240v output was clean enough to run my other welders, and plasma cutter off of without performance loss?

Any advice much appreciated!
    As long as you keep the fine current control at max, you should be fine with the Bobcat, I run my Miller 375 Extreme plasma cutters on the Trailblazers and have no problems. Just remember to keep the idle control on fast so there are no low volt issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    As long as you keep the fine current control at max, you should be fine with the Bobcat, I run my Miller 375 Extreme plasma cutters on the Trailblazers and have no problems. Just remember to keep the idle control on fast so there are no low volt issues.
    Great to hear, thanks for the heads up.

I know the bobcat has its own feature set, and can TIG/MIG/STICK in its own right but having some of the fineries that my other more “fully featured” portable machines possess would be nice to take into the field with me, without a doubt.

Good tip about keeping that fine control knob all the way up, probably would have took some thunking about that before figuring it out.

Now.. to decide to pay the extra chunk o change for the fuel injection or not.. decisions, decisions...
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

All ill mention is we had a tech plug his laptop into his bobcat on a service call and it now has a permanent screen saver

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

AC cycle with engine drives is dependent upon engine speed so if your running anything (like a laptop) thats dependent upon a specific current cycle which would include pretty much any digital equipment then it can become iffy unless ya tune the welders RPM to consistently provide exactly 60 hrz etc.. most digital stuff uses the AC cycle to run clock chips etc... they don't like how my Trailblazer is setup at 62.5 hrz buit thats where it welds best since after all that is its primary function.... ya should check with the manufacturers of the stuff ya want to run off the Bobcat, the reason fine current has to be at 100% on the Bobcat is cause otherwise its not providing 120 volts... the Bobcats AC power is dependent on the welders settings the Trailblazer has a third slipring dedicated soley to AC power generation so is not effected by welder settings...
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 07-14-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Westbrook View Post
    All ill mention is we had a tech plug his laptop into his bobcat on a service call and it now has a permanent screen saver

Wouldn't the charger for the laptop act as a buffer? I use an inverter in my trucks for that kind of stuff. It's also nice for quick grinding or drilling jobs with corded tools.

It was plugged in while he was using the welder not even turned on . All our trucks have 2-k inverters in them just for electronics not sure why he chose to charge it that way but it burned a bunch of colorful stripes in the screen I'm guessing it went over 60 hz don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Westbrook View Post
    It was plugged in while he was using the welder not even turned on . All our trucks have 2-k inverters in them just for electronics not sure why he chose to charge it that way but it burned a bunch of colorful stripes in the screen I'm guessing it went over 60 hz don't know

Probably a huge discussion could be had on just the so called power supply/chargers for laptops and such. Some aren't much more than a modern switched gate version of a diode bridge. Just 'AC pulse picker off'ers', .. Others have quality AC to DC conversion, filtering, regulation and control built in. It's all about $'s. Do you make every welder so clean they run the most fragile of devices, or do you make the power supplies of the devices more robust?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Alright, throwing out another question/option for you guys. Have a TIG, Stick, and MIG Inverter. Do they make standalone generators dedicated/ capable of providing the clean 240V current needed for the inverters, and the 120 needed for grinders, saws, etc.

How about some models that would be a capable dependable generator in this situation?

I know having the welder-generator combo is good for redundancy, but you’d need the suitcase feeders anyways, so since I already have machines, I think that it would make make sense just go get a good generator to power them... pending of course on cost effectiveness etc.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Alright, throwing out another question/option for you guys. Have a TIG, Stick, and MIG Inverter. Do they make standalone generators dedicated/ capable of providing the clean 240V current needed for the inverters, and the 120 needed for grinders, saws, etc.

How about some models that would be a capable dependable generator in this situation?

I know having the welder-generator combo is good for redundancy, but you’d need the suitcase feeders anyways, so since I already have machines, I think that it would make make sense just go get a good generator to power them... pending of course on cost effectiveness etc.
    sure they just cost ALOT and by the time your done ya coulda came really close to a Bobcat or better a Trailblazer and suitcase feeder etc... as far as TIG out in the field ya'll need screens to block wind etc.. but yea a HF arc starter is no big deal and all of the engine drive welders will run stick as well as run all your grinders etc... so whats the plan if ya spend a ton on a stand alone generator to run your inverter mig and the mig dies? now ya got a big stand alone generator and no welding ability, plus the suitcase feeders can run alot more amperage than your inverter mig can as well as decent size spools... and do it without the duty cycle limitations of the inverter
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 07-18-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    sure they just cost ALOT and by the time your done ya coulda came really close to a Bobcat or better a Trailblazer and suitcase feeder etc... as far as TIG out in the field ya'll need screens to block wind etc.. but yea a HF arc starter is no big deal and all of the engine drive welders will run stick as well as run all your grinders etc... so whats the plan if ya spend a ton on a stand alone generator to run your inverter mig and the mig dies? now ya got a big stand alone generator and no welding ability, plus the suitcase feeders can run alot more amperage than your inverter mig can as well as decent size spools... and do it without the duty cycle limitations of the inverter
    Good points, well taken, and thank you for the reply!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    sure they just cost ALOT and by the time your done ya coulda came really close to a Bobcat or better a Trailblazer and suitcase feeder etc...
    This generator has powered all of my HTP machines at some point, and neither have skipped a beat. $900 at lowes. It may not be an inverter generator, but reportedly has <6% THD. It's going on 4 years in October of this year, and while the battery withered away in the last year, it still pull-starts on 1-pull 98% of the time, 2-pulls the rest 2%.

Last edited by Oscar; 07-18-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    This generator has powered all of my HTP machines at some point, and neither have skipped a beat. $900 at lowes. It may not be an inverter generator, but reportedly has <6% THD. It's going on 4 years in October of this year, and while the battery withered away in the last year, it still pull-starts on 1-pull 98% of the time, 2-pulls the rest 2%.

Oscar your links didn’t show, but I’m interested in knowing what generator you’re talking about, thanks!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

The Troy-Bilt 7000XP. Just refresh your browser/try a different browser/clean your browser cache, and the pics should appear.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I emailed Briggs & Stratton, who manufacture that generator under the Troy-Bilt brand name today to ask if the current production 7000XP generator produced the supposed <6% THD. Here is their reply:

Granted it seems like a generalized reply, from what I gather, it does state that their non-inverter portable generators are indeed pretty clean with 3-6% THD.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC