vulcan branded solid mig wire
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

vulcan branded solid mig wire

any of you guys try the Vulcan mig wire? any good?

Re: vulcan branded solid mig wire

Seems to be ok. Although I prefer Lincoln.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

It burns ok, but for my Lincoln 180C the Lincoln wire runs better. It’s certainly not the worst wire out there, but I’m just a guy messing around in his garage. FYI the flux core is made in Italy and it’s not bad either.
    Learning to weld, one arc at a time.

thanks guys, guess it won't hurt to try a 2 lb spool out.

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldcoupe View Post
    thanks guys, guess it won't hurt to try a 2 lb spool out.
    Check online for coupon !!!

It's worked about as good as any in my experience (have used about 7 or 8 pounds off the 10 lb roll). Made in usa Lincoln is (also) my preference but it's a very minute difference in arc characteristic. A quick way to test the metal's mettle is to Weld some samples and take the hammer to it - apparently torture does yield the truth!

I haven't and wouldn't use it for anything critical but it has taken some cyclical loading abuse on some wheelbarrows used daily to carry over 200 lbs of drywall scrap over a construction site all day everyday for about a year.

Use the 20% off vulcan accessories coupon (harbor freight coupon database website), and you can also use a 20% off coupon on another qualifying item, as well as a free item coupon in one purchase. Just cue them up on your phone and they can scan from there or you can read them the coupon number. The berger f-clamps and bremen locking pliers have been golden in my experience and quality for the 20% (sometimes 25%) off.

Let us know how the wire works out as HF's quality can be all over the place from item to item.

The welding youtuber that does proper HF wire/electrode tests side by side with major brands will have a TON of views in no time, I'm surprised no one has (project farm would be great if he did welding tests!). This is a question that comes up often on pretty much every welding/fab site.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 07-16-2019 at 03:05 AM.

I was reluctant to try the house brand of China wire at the LWS,,, turns out to be some of the best I have ever used including L56. I went to get some more,,, they change it to WA or Radnor,,, I don't recall now but terrible compared to the cheap ****. I am not sure about the HF but give it a try. I wouldn't rule it out cause its cheap prior to investigation.

I forgot to mention the vulcan mig wire also passed some bend tests a buddy of mine did with flying colors. Most things made overseas (which is most things) are probably welded with the cheapest chinese wire available, including towing/vehicle components! I don't know if it's more scary about what's holding your life in it's hand or more comforting that chinese wire can be competent.

Some 15 years ago HF had a batch of blue 90A - AC flux core welders that were so bad that apparently every welder was returned. There was a huge quantity of those welders on Ebay in 'As New - Open Box' condition offered by a single liquidator. I was one of the customers who returned a welder. All it could do was spit. A year later I went back and bought the same model, it came with different wire and worked like it should. Bad wire doomed a whole season's sales of that model welder.

The really awful wire was labelled K-NGS, by Kiswell. I looked for the agency they claimed had certified the wire as conforming to AWS spec. The 'certifying' agency appeared in Google only as a PO Box offering to issue a 'certification' of near anything for a fee after a written request - and a payment - from the vendor. In other words, bogus. HF has improved a lot since that bogus wire disaster.

Here's a picture of the bad wire that I made at the time.

http://nettractortalk.com/forums/att...9&d=1195979759
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Can't see the picture because I'm not a member there and not logged on.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Can't see the picture because I'm not a member there
    Sorry, I didn't realize the photos over there are limited. I uploaded it here.

This is the flux core wire that came in the HF AC-90 welders for a time - a time when this HF forum was full of newbies asking 'How the heck do I make this thing work?' Me included. I could stick-weld fine with a big AC230 but when I bought the HF "mig" (flux) welder it was useless, nothing but spitting fiery blobs. At the time Ebay was flooded with those welders in As-New Open-Box condition.

A year later with better wire included, the same welders sold then worked as expected and this forum calmed down.

I see my photo date was 2007. HF has come a long way since then.

Name:  P1160519rWelderWire.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by California; 07-21-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

I got a 2 lb spool of the 025 , I've used it to weld in some patch panels. seems to work fine, I don't notice any difference from the Lincoln wire I was using. i'm not a pro and don't claim to be, so results and opinions may vary