Spectrum 875 PM2 IGBT failure
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Spectrum 875 PM2 IGBT failure

I have a Spectrum 875 Autoline that has roached PM2 (inverter IGBT module). Blew the side out of it. The machine was used in an industrial setting on 460v. Probably pretty nasty power, outside, in the summer. It came to me with the amps maxed out and the switch on "gouge". Does anyone know of common collateral damage or probable causes when PM2 goes bang? I can probably work my way through troubleshooting the board, I have experience with inverter technology and power electronics, but step one is always asking folks who probably know more than me.

Re: Spectrum 875 PM2 IGBT failure

Even top end Miller inverters struggle when someone does a load of gouging on full amps, it's not reccomended because it's known to blow stuff up. Basically it's maxxing out the stress on all components with a long arc (i.e. lots of volts) and full amps - Volts x amps = power - so therefore pulling and processing as much power as is available.

Sorry I can't help, just saying this cos I'm betting it's probably took down quite a few components when it let the smoke out, as it wasn't a gentle failure.

Thats what I figured. My biggest fear is popping a $300 IGBT module on and burning it down.

Does anyone have a copy of the technical manual I could purchase?