Consequences due to lack of penetration because of inexperience welders. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Consequences due to lack of penetration because of inexperience welders.

It looks to me like they only put one pass on each joint. Good or bad didn’t make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 737mechanic View Post
    A couple of months ago we had some high wind gust and it literally blew down a 50ft hanger door. Luckily there was nobody close to the door at the time or people could have been killed. Below are some pictures of the door laying on the hangar floor and the quality of welds on the door including the welds that had virtually no penetration and they broke and caused the entire door to buckle and fall. Some of the welds apparently were so bad that they ground a lot of them down.
    ]
    any update on this?

Did they contact the company that did the work?

not sure what course of action could be taken... small/large claims court? clearly sh*t work.

someone should be liable for that BS
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Looks like there was rust in the weld joints a long time before they broke, unless the steel has been laying on the ground for awhile. Could be a Home Depot Mexican welder using Chinese wire they got on the cheap at an auction.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Looks like a design problem with those tabs that broke only welded to the outer flanges of the channel, even with good welds that's a wimpy connection for the amount of force a wind load would put on that door.
    Last edited by CrookedRoads; 07-28-2019 at 11:28 AM.

CR

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    even bad welding will hold up until it doesn't. the door square footage in addition to the stress from high winds found every weak spot. mother nature is a mf'er of a weld inspector.
    Oh I wouldn't call that entirely Mother Nature. Gravity has a lot to do with it as well, and exists beyond this world into all reaches of the universe, and even spills over into the next universe.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

The Op said it was a 50 foot door. Viewing the pic, the height looks about 34 foot counting 4 foot joints were the blue insulation stuf is now exposed. That comes out to about 1,700 square feet. That's a bigger footprint than my house.

Big pressure differences between outside and inside happen. That's why those buildings flex or have flex joints so the roof can lift and lower with changes. Wind causes pressure changes. Ever see an exterior or interior door slam open or shut real hard?

I'm no cwi so I have no comment on the welds.

I hope the guy that welded that door didn't also weld the crane hangers

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Some bad design/detailing too - bending about the longitudinal axis of a weld is not good.

Name:  CaptureWELD.PNG
Views: 201
Size:  1,011.8 KB

And that bolt would have elongated a bunch to result in that amount of plate prying.
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

HOUGAN HMD 505

HOUGAN HMD 130

FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Oh I wouldn't call that entirely Mother Nature. Gravity has a lot to do with it as well, and exists beyond this world into all reaches of the universe, and even spills over into the next universe.
    Mother nature is just one of many pseudonyms for the rules of physics we find ourselves with. Humans, humanise everything. We think of everything from our motorcycles to pet cats as people, we are just made that way. People call nature "mother", people humanise "the universe" all the time, referring to it as a person with motives and specific actions on our individual lives.

The "design" (if that garbage actually conformed to print) is clearly negligent, the welding is worse and someone needs jail time. First week welding students with no prior experience could turn out better welds. I've seen them do it.

Some of those welds are colder than a tax man's heart.

I hope the guy that welded that door didn't also weld the crane hangers
    No doubt!