Need help pricing a heavy welding table for local sale
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Need help pricing a heavy welding table for local sale

See http://nwnative.us/Grant/shop%20articles/weldingTable for a description and pictures.

I came across an old planer table with lots of tee slots and bolt-down holes, so my current welding table's gotta go.

Please help me price it. I have no idea. The top weighs 1500 pounds and the table another 500, so it weighs about
    2000 pounds.

Thanks!

metalmagpie

Re: Need help pricing a heavy welding table for local sale

How badly/quickly do you want to move it? $500 will get a large audiance.

What size is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    What size is it?
    30x60".

Wish you were in michigan... I drive 500 miles for that
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I came across an old planer table with lots of tee slots and bolt-down holes, so my current welding table's gotta go.
    Just curious if the new table came from Chrome Repair in Vancouver?

Quote Originally Posted by gtermini View Post
    Just curious if the new table came from Chrome Repair in Vancouver?
    Assuming you mean Vancouver, WA, it certainly could have. The original guy who came up with the table lives down in SW Washington. I know him, and I knew the guy he gave it to. But that's all I know.

metalmagpie

Just in case you were curious, here is a shot of my new planer table sitting on top of my welding table.

Because the planer table isn't as wide as I'm used to, I'm going to fit it with a full length skirt. I have a piece of 8x8x1" angle which happened to come out of the mill quite square. I'll bolt that to the side of the planer table to make it 8" wider. That will also give me a nice clamping lip.

Boy that planer table is HEAVY. I have a 2 ton Ruger shop crane that can lift it OK but then it's really hard to roll around. I'm getting too old for this. I'm thinking the welding table I make out of the planer table is going to be my last one.

metalmagpie

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    Assuming you mean Vancouver, WA, it certainly could have. The original guy who came up with the table lives down in SW Washington. I know him, and I knew the guy he gave it to. But that's all I know.

metalmagpie
    There was an auction last week and there were more than several planer platen tables. Most brought decent money, $600-1500 depending on whatever.

There was a biggie at the end that went for 2 bills. The rigging, loading, and trucking will be in the 10s of thousand$ if it doesn't get cut up for scrap. No idea on the weight. It was 6' x 24' x ~15" solid not ribbed.

$200 for that? Or is it $2000?

Processed cast iron scrap is now about 3.7 cents a pound. Let's assume the above weighs 6000 lbs. That means scrap value would be about $220.
    Clearly it didn't get sold for scrap. To "process" that table means something like it has to be cut into pieces each weighing no more than 150 lbs. And that's a lot of work on a table that size.

I had a friend, now dead, who was a great blacksmith and fabricator. He had a big planer table like that one. He also had a big shop and a big forklift. I have neither. The above planer table is just too damn big for me.

metalmagpie

200 (hundred) dollars.

Figuring for the density of steel, I get a weight on a chunk that big at around 88K lbs. I'd guess it was closer to 30K lbs because the big Taylor riggers lift he had was 60k rated and I'd assume it was cored out a little inside. There was no exposed ribbing underneath, just solid surfaces and big vee ways. The scrappies in tight with Shnitzer get pretty good money, better than the average walk-in. There's all sorts of backroom dealings that make something like that pencil out.

Back on topic, I'd say the right guy would be willing to pay around $800 ± $200 for your old table. It has the benefit of being on wheels so it can be loaded on a tilt trailer easy enough. I'd say the average price at the auction for the iron platens was $25/sqft including buyers fee. Steel plate tables were going for half that. And people were spending like it wasn't their money.