Probably the thousandth grounding to table issuing but its driving me insane.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Probably the thousandth grounding to table issuing but its driving me insane.

When I built my basic welding table I placed 1x1 angle all aground the bottom at th edge to give the 3x8 plates some reinforcement. But It is an absolute BITCH to ground to the table itself. my tweco opens wide would as to my square jaw clamps, but all my other clamps just get fetched up on the edges. I can use more C clamps for securing work pieces so not a huge dial. But I have am massive solid copper contacts ground clamp I believe runs around 40$ and was weighted up to 800 amps and I'm pretty sure it won't fit, albeit with that much clamping force I could clamp the edge onto the angle iron and I bet it would hold there.

But i'm a bit at my wits end here, weld some 1-1/2 square tubing to the side of my table and slide my clamp in there? weld a T piece underneath or a piece to one of my leg? Or do I just pick a few places to grind the 1 inch angle down into nothing so it doesn't get in the way and just accept the loss in support whatever that little may be, Suggests as to the smartest idea?

Re: Probably the thousandth grounding to table issuing but its driving me insane.

Just drill a hole and put a 3/8” or 1/2” bolt with two lock nuts, one on either side and clamp your ground to that.

Works for my table.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Re: Probably the thousandth grounding to table issuing but its driving me insane.

you said it yourself... clamp to the angle iron... I'm not sure what the issue is here TBH

Otherwise weld or bolt a separate bar on somewhere and clamp onto that instead... hardly a big problem

weld a ground tab onto the table, it can be flat bar. grounding magnets are available also . I like the ones that can be switch off.

Is your ground clamp too difficult to open wide?

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    you said it yourself... clamp to the angle iron... I'm not sure what the issue is here TBH

Otherwise weld or bolt a separate bar on somewhere and clamp onto that instead... hardly a big problem
    I'm only using 1 inch angle, the slightest nudge would break the connection.

That being said I definitely think I was overthinking the problem and will either do the locknut trick or weld an actual tack nice thick tab to the table to always look into. I'm using a hobart brass clamp right now and the one downside is it is not extremely grippy on thin steel when being bumped or fighting gravity. So finding a "Good" place for me has been a goal.

I used to have an out door welding table and on that one, I flatted a 6" piece of 1/2 copper tubing, drilled a hole in one end and bolted it to the table. Had lots of room for my clamp and never had a problem with the ground even a few days after a rain. lol

Does your machine use Dinse connectors? If so, do like I did. Made a cable with a dinse plug to a lug. Then have the lug bolted to the table. when I need to ground the table, I just plug it in.

Tack a piece of flat stock to table to ground too.

on my tables i have a flattened length of copper pipe running along the underside, with folded tabs ("ears") sticking out at different parts for the ground to be clamped to. The "bus bar" is bolted to the table in a few places. I tinned some where they're bolted and didn't others - never noticed a difference. Heat the copper red hot and cool quickly to anneal it for easy shaping or if it work hardens while shaping.

What I do if I have to weld something I can’t get a ground on is put a good size (5/8,3/4) bolt in ground clamp ,hold against a cleaned spot and tack it on . When done knock it off grind it smooth.

Grounding a table is hardly rocket science. Tack a flat bar on a leg down by the floor, done.

Still waiting for those wireless grounds myself. I suppose they could have a grounding electrode next to the arcing (welding) electrode in one gun/stinger. They probably do for micro welders or the like, where there is literally not enough room for a ground attachment. Same idea as a resistance welder but with a consumable.