Need suggestion for NEWBIE - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Need suggestion for NEWBIE

I was looking at http://amicopower.com/index.php?rout...product_id=138 gonna see what the guy says that has the miller for sale, i asked when he could meet and he hasnt responded.

I'd jump on this in a heartbeat https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fo...924860638.html Good solid welder with reasonable arc. You'd be very happy with it.

I’m going to look at a thunderbolt 225v if it falls thru I’ll message that guy thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I'd jump on this in a heartbeat https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fo...924860638.html Good solid welder with reasonable arc. You'd be very happy with it.
    I used to have one of those. Worked great. Never saw a purple one, though. Yikes.

That is a deal, very good machine.

Well got a Lincoln Tombstone at an auction for 35$ AC only but hey its good for what i need for now. now to save for a better machine.

Quote Originally Posted by fball1208 View Post
    Well got a Lincoln Tombstone at an auction for 35$ AC only but hey its good for what i need for now. now to save for a better machine.
    That’s a decent deal
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by fball1208 View Post
    Those work very well for 6013, 7014 and 6011.

The last two can do basically anything you need for general repair.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Yeah that’s what I figured after doing some research on them. Came with a cart, extension cord and newer ground and electrode holder.

Ok so this is an ac only model with code 7533-911 I’m looking for it’s manual to run the right size circuit. Any ideas or leads to find the right one. That code gives me ac/dc model on Lincoln site

The machine is still the same as a modern one. You'll find the specs on Lincoln's site.

They run on a dedicated 50amp circuit.

Finding a good used ac225 ac dc or miller thunderbolt here (southern california) are not hard and usually go for around 300, but if you are pretty good about keeping an eye out you can find a real deal many times.

They have good advantages and nice arcs. They are essentially bulletproof and last forever. They are also heavy and cumbersome to move across concrete, and a real challenge to move across terrain. Leads, extension cords, and wiring for them is EXPENSIVE and will likely blow your budget unless you get REALLY lucky or already have those items. Figure about the farthest thing you'll be welding from your 50 amp receptacles, and go from there.

I'm a big fan of the little DC inverter "lunchbox" welders. They save a ton of money (leads, cords, wiring, and a little on electricity) and work/hassle. The ability to carry a light welder and cord out 50+ feet in no time at all, anywhere at all is great. You can adjust settings right there instead of walking back 100 feet or yelling at a helper. Go to ANY location with "regular" electricity and be able to weld in 5 mins. Also to be able to use off the shelf cords (10 gauge plugged in near the load center is my go to approach) is a little mind blowing. The klutch one listed seems solid. They don't last forever and it's good practice to turn them on once every couple of months even if not used to juice up the capacitors and keep the electronics "alive" (think of it like a vehicle, letting it sit is worse than running a little every so often).

When buying anything from online remember to consider shipping to and from for repairs and warranty work as part of your calculations.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-18-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I'm a big fan of the little DC inverter "lunchbox" welders. They save a ton of money (leads, cords, wiring, and a little on electricity) and work/hassle. The ability to carry a light welder and cord out 50+ feet in no time at all, anywhere at all is great. You can adjust settings right there instead of walking back 100 feet or yelling at a helper. Go to ANY location with "regular" electricity and be able to weld in 5 mins.
    And it's even easier if you have a remote amperage control built right into the stinger!

Also, for the non dual-voltage lunchbox welders, there is always a LiteFuze voltage transformer that can be had cheap used.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Yeah they are heavy luckily came on a cart and has about 20ft leads. Was used by a sign company so they made it easy to move. Also made an extension cord with the left over wire I had so should give me plenty of space in the garage.