Hougen HMD500 mag drill magnet rebuild - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Hougen HMD500 mag drill magnet rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Just a matter of using the carriage to space the wraps. This guy did a very cool job
    Thanks for the video link. It inspired my design. Here a cellphone video of mine in operation.

If you gently warm up JB Weld it will flow very nicely.

Just don’t borrow mamas favorite sauce pan from the kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    If you gently warm up JB Weld it will flow very nicely.
    Just don’t borrow mama's favorite sauce pan from the kitchen.
    I bought the slow cure JB weld. If it flows similar to the clear epoxy it should level without any issues. It's plenty warm in the shop today, I doubt I'll need to warm it up but that's really good to know. I installed the coil and I'm waiting for the clear 5 minute epoxy to cure. I had to use a clamp to force it down. It wanted to float in the epoxy. So far I still have continuity in both coils so once it cures I should be home free. I spent more on epoxy than wire.

Name:  IMG_4394.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  97.2 KB

Before it fully cured I stripped all the extra clear epoxy.

Name:  IMG_4395.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  114.5 KB
    Last edited by forhire; 08-13-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Sweet. Hope it works like it should and holds up for many years to come. If not you can always try again.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Sweet. Hope it works like it should and holds up for many years to come. If not you can always try again.
    I hope I don't have to go through this again. It has been a time sink. I likely should have thinned the jb weld a little as it didn't want to smooth out like the factory epoxy. It will be serviceable. We'll see what it looks like in the morning after it has fully cured. I'm getting antsy to put it back together and try it out.

Name:  IMG_4396.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  127.4 KB

It looks good from here.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Success! I assembled the drill this morning. I checked the polarity of the coils and somehow when I soldered on the leads I happened to get both coils wired the same. My lucky day. I then put the leads back into the 4 prong connector in the original order and gave it a test. Worked perfectly. I then re-assembled the drill completely and adjusted the safety switch. Drill motor sounds good. Now all I need to do is to make a retainer knob for the quill and of course order some 12000 series broaches.

Thank you to everyone who contributed their ideas. I've learned a lot.

Name:  IMG_4397.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  104.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4398.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  100.7 KB

Amazing, and it looks like a factory repair! Really cool to watch you go through the motions, getting everything squared away.

Now I need to start shopping for a broken mag drill so I can send it to you for a fix!!

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Amazing, and it looks like a factory repair! Really cool to watch you go through the motions, getting everything squared away.
    Now I need to start shopping for a broken mag drill so I can send it to you for a fix!!
    Thanks. This has been a pretty fun repair. Hopefully it helps some others repair their obsolete drills. Even broken these go for gold. I was pretty lucky to pick this one up so cheap. Now I need to spend the real money to get it tooled. I'm thinking about making a twist drill adapter. I also need to pickup some roto broaches. The handle retention knob is missing so I'll likely make one rather than spending $60. I'd like to get a coolant tank but I'm not sure they're available or at what cost. Part of me suspects that it would leak inside the box so I'm not sure it's worthwhile. The manual shows a pressurized version that looks like a garden sprayer. Any thoughts on coolant?

Name:  HMD500 Retention Knob v1.png
Views: 209
Size:  75.8 KBName:  adaptador broca 3-8 v2.png
Views: 208
Size:  63.2 KB

Years ago, when I bought my Hougen, I happened to be looking on Ebay, and scored about a dozen of the large tubes for about 5 bucks apiece.

Name:  slick%20stick%20hougen.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  10.7 KB

Stuff sat in storage until last week. I decided, for S&G's to try it for some of the holes on the bale fork. Cut 4 holes on the mill without incident, and didn't dull the cutter. However, I started to worry about the stuff contaminating my coolant, so I cleaned it all up, and switched back to flood coolant.

It smoked up the place, which tells ya it's working. If it's melting, it's lubricating. The chips were greasy, and the cutter was covered even on the outside with greasy deposits. So...…………………..I guess the stuff is ok.

Wouldn't ever use it again on the mill, but I think it's probably good stuff for the mag drill. You just pack the insde of the cutter with it before cutting.

Congrats on the Houghen repair. Well done.

I recently replaced by HMD 505 Houghen coolant/lubricant with a external pressurized coolant container. Got it from houghenmagdrill.com by Tool Town. Cost me $82.50 + $10 shipping.

I have used Rota Lube (in a tube), Slick-Stik...but still prefer the Rota-Magic concentrate/liquid in a pressurized container. Problem with the Lube and Stik is after about 5 continuous holes (when the annular cutter is hot) the lube/stik just slides off the cutter and does not seem to work as well as the coolant in my experience.
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

HOUGAN HMD 505

HOUGAN HMD 130

FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

Nice save. Now I really have to start looking for a mag drill too.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Nice. Very professional looking repair.
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

I bought a Jancy mag drill about 5 years back that was missing all the internal electronics for $60. Motor was good and the magnets were good. Made a complete set of internal electronics, with transformer, bridge rectifier, switches, etc. for $35. Replaced the motor brushes as they were just about worn out. The drill has made a lot of holes since then. The $95 I spent on getting the drill working was a small price, compared to the the angular cutters costs. Very nice restoration work.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Randy,
    I always enjoy your work and ingenuity .
    I have trouble putting line on a fishing reel!
    (You race a mower this year? How’d it go?)
    Darryl
    Last edited by labparamour; 08-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Nice repair. That CNC lathe makes an awesome coil winding
    machine.
    I use Slick-Stick on the inside of the cutter, cutting oil/ kerosene
    mix in a spray bottle on the outside. Seems to work well. I’ve
    never tried a mag drill coolant feed system.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Years ago, when I bought my Hougen, I happened to be looking on Ebay, and scored about a dozen of the large tubes for about 5 bucks apiece.

It smoked up the place, which tells ya it's working. If it's melting, it's lubricating. The chips were greasy, and the cutter was covered even on the outside with greasy deposits. So...…………………..I guess the stuff is ok.

Wouldn't ever use it again on the mill, but I think it's probably good stuff for the mag drill. You just pack the inside of the cutter with it before cutting.
    That has kinda been my experience with wax based lubricants. I use a stick with the bandsaw now and again. Messy but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
    Congrats on the Houghen repair. Well done.

I recently replaced by HMD 505 Houghen coolant/lubricant with a external pressurized coolant container. Got it from houghenmagdrill.com by Tool Town. Cost me $82.50 + $10 shipping.

I have used Rota Lube (in a tube), Slick-Stik...but still prefer the Rota-Magic concentrate/liquid in a pressurized container. Problem with the Lube and Stik is after about 5 continuous holes (when the annular cutter is hot) the lube/stik just slides off the cutter and does not seem to work as well as the coolant in my experience.
    Thanks for the nod on the pressurized system. I now see how if forces it through the spindle to the cutter. Do you find the large size to be an issue? Does it use a quick disconnect or a barb fitting? https://hougenmagdrills.com/collecti...urized-coolant

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Nice save. Now I really have to start looking for a mag drill too.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    Nice. Very professional looking repair.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    I bought a Jancy mag drill about 5 years back that was missing all the internal electronics for $60. Motor was good and the magnets were good. Made a complete set of internal electronics, with transformer, bridge rectifier, switches, etc. for $35. Replaced the motor brushes as they were just about worn out. The drill has made a lot of holes since then. The $95 I spent on getting the drill working was a small price, compared to the the angular cutters costs. Very nice restoration work.
    After opening this one up I can see how the internals could be done easily. I while back I was looking into making a big MOT magnet and I think I found a schematic in the Jancey manual if I recall. Yeah tooling this out will cost a LOT more than what I have into it.

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    Randy,
    I always enjoy your work and ingenuity .
    I have trouble putting line on a fishing reel!
    (You race a mower this year? How’d it go?)
    Darryl
    I was apprehensive... I can't wind fishing line either. I had a 3 day training over Jubilee weekend this year so I missed the races. My son in law raced the mower. He did pretty good considering he never drove it. Placed in the C main. In typical fashion I waited until the night before I was to leave to fix the mower. Had to replace one tire... because I stuck the forklift tine through it at some point. And I had to replace the transmission, last years epic melt down during the main. It took about three transmissions to frankenstein one good gearbox. When I re-assembled I removed the reverse chain. I mentioned to him, no brakes and no reverse, third gear, wide open. I'm in the hotel on Friday and I'm getting texts about the reverse not working. In any case they had fun and the younger generation may be taking over. He and my son are hatching a plan to mad-max it for next year. Cool. Anything that I can do to get them to work in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    Nice repair. That CNC lathe makes an awesome coil winding machine.
    I use Slick-Stick on the inside of the cutter, cutting oil/ kerosene
    mix in a spray bottle on the outside. Seems to work well. I’ve
    never tried a mag drill coolant feed system.
    Thanks. The CNC lathe worked treat for winding. I'm already thinking about building a mag vise. I'd imagine a spray bottle would suffice.
    Last edited by forhire; 08-15-2019 at 10:50 PM.

My experience with the coolant tank is It only works on flat stuff and always leaks when you don't want it to. When we drill truck frames we use blue windshield washer fluid in a squirt bottle. It just evaporates and doesn't leave an oily mess. If I'm running annular cutters in my mill I use mist.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Forehire, do you have a build thread of the racing mower? I have a couple mowers hanging around that I had intentions of turning into a race cart thing.

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    My experience with the coolant tank is It only works on flat stuff and always leaks when you don't want it to. When we drill truck frames we use blue windshield washer fluid in a squirt bottle. It just evaporates and doesn't leave an oily mess. If I'm running annular cutters in my mill I use mist.
    I suspect leaking mess is why the factory bottle was removed. I guess I'll need to experiment a bit and find what coolant I prefer. A spray bottle is cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Forhire, do you have a build thread of the racing mower? I have a couple mowers hanging around that I had intentions of turning into a race cart thing.
    I've posted some photos in the past but I'm not the original builder. This one was built like 20 years ago. I bought it for $50 and do just enough to show up and race once a year.

I cranked out the knob today. I started with a 5/16-18 stainless stud. Turned it down and put in a groove for a snap ring, but the ring was to big so I split a washer with a hacksaw and installed in on the stud. Next I drilled, tapped, and profiled the bottom side. I then cut the part off on the bandsaw. I dug through my soft jaws and found something that would work and turned the moon. CNC makes quick work of this. I originally was going to knurl it but after seeing it on the drill I think I'll mill in some grips around the circumference. Should be a quick task for Monday.

Name:  IMG_4401.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  63.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4402.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  143.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_4403.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4404.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  67.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4405.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  88.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    I've posted some photos in the past but I'm not the original builder. This one was built like 20 years ago. I bought it for $50 and do just enough to show up and race once a year.
    Thats cool “thumbs up”

After having the new knob in hand I decided knurled wasn't ideal. Here is the new design I'm thinking of milling.

Name:  HMD500 Retention Knob v5.png
Views: 108
Size:  76.4 KB

I like the one you turned. But, I suppose it's not suitable for hand tightening without your hand slipping.

I like the one you turned. But, I suppose it's not suitable for hand tightening without your hand slipping.
    I too liked the clean turned knob but it was almost impossible to tighten/loosen. I'm not remaking the knob but simply milling in the lobes.

Name:  HMD500 Retention Knob v6.png
Views: 98
Size:  52.3 KB

very, very nice work. Looks like it went a long time even with the discovered defect.

A mag vise would be awesome to have, you could probably sell them and turn a nice profit if so inclined.

When I make certain things (usually tools that are extremely overpriced for what they are, belt grinder for example) I like to make 2 or more when possible. It usually doesn't take much longer than making a single copy as you're already set up/figured it out with the first. Keep the best, sell the rest, and usually your time (money) expense is really off set selling the others.