Ring roller help needed
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ring roller help needed

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 668
Size:  7.3 KB

I'm starting to build a ring roller of the type inspired by the above photo from the net. Using what I have on hand, the bottom rollers will be from 2" shafting with axle holes bushed with bronze to 3/4". Enough clearance for 3" dies will be left in case I ever had the material or dies. I have 1-1/4" pillow blocks and a shaft for the drive shaft but find myself questioning the need to turn it down to maybe 1" to accept different driven dies/rollers that I would potentially fabricate. (turned down to 1" just in the area of the changeable drive roll, and leave the shaft 1-1/4) Any thoughts?

Ring roller help needed

Either way. As far as I know roller dies are most commonly available from Swag Off Road and have 3/4” bores on idle and driven rollers.

And you wouldn’t want to use a 3/4” shaft on your drive roller as it is only supported on one side.

In your case I’d leave it at the 1.25”
    :

Re: Ring roller help needed

If you look close, the bottom rollers are supported on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    If you look close, the bottom rollers are supported on both sides.
    Yes. But the driven one isn’t.
    :

Yes, one sided on top so makes sense to leave it 1.25. I have a small lathe but boring anything accurately to 1-1/4 to fit the driven shaft will mean some additional tools.

The advantage of the design you depicted is that it is truly able to roll rings or complete circles without disassembling the machine.
    :

This project started out with a need to make rings from 1/4" rod for a rope tuned, goat skinned drum. The drum was a request from one of my best customers ( a hippy daughter who thinks dad can make anything ) Of course making the hand wheel for the ring roller itself requires way more machine than I need but gotta try it anyway. For me, its some good all around fabricating practice and hopefully no baby seals will be killed as a result

Ideally, if there is a source of ready made dies, then make your machine fit those. As mentioned, swag off-road.

Machining profiles into stock is time consuming. Add a small lathe( sub 9 inch lathe) and special/work around tooling and you will be in front of the lathe a while.

Remember the work is time 3. So, "it's I can do that....I can do that...I can do that...but never again".

Also, heat treating might be desirable if you do other profiles.

Just brought back memories of my diy ring roller. It bent 1.75x.25 inch bar on edge and 1.25" sched 40 pipe. I made the rollers. On my 9x20 hf lathe. 4 inch diameter was the capacity with the custom concave radius cutter. I had to make that to make the parts. " Never again"

Later I purchased a used Y2k rings roller. It used vee roller which works well for round tube of heavy wall and round solid.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 08-07-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Here is one I built years ago works great. If you want the plans send me your email and I can send them via the Google drive.
    I have rolled about a 4' hand wheel and the one shown in the image
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    Here is one I built years ago works great. If you want the plans send me your email and I can send them via the Google drive.
    I have rolled about a 4' hand wheel and the one shown in the image
    Thanks for the offer, I've studied yours quite a bit, then started cutting some pieces based on material I had on hand. Had a pair of 4 bolt pillow blocks so drilled some heavy 3 x 6" rec. tubing . I made some drawings based on 3" dies and just realized that it was with the jack all the way compressed so no room for material to fit . I can flip the rec tubing, re-drill the shaft and mounting holes maybe an inch higher but will make a few drawings to confirm this. Smaller dies might work ok but I screwed up and should have added a couple of inches to the jack height in the amount of whatever material would need to fit in between.

Are your dies based on any that are available? What are the axle and drive shaft dimensions?

Here is where I'm at so far. Just some parts and nothing welded.
    Last edited by RHayes; 08-07-2019 at 10:43 PM.

"the bottom rollers will be from 2" shafting with axle holes bushed with bronze to 3/4" as per original post...…….he's fine bushing the bottom rollers to a small diameter axle. These rollers have nothing to do with the driven shaft

Be really nice if you used needle style caged roller bearings on the lower rollers. Cut your friction to almost 0. Although they're designed to run on a hardened shaft, it's no big deal to replace the shafts once in a while, small as they are.

Built a piece of equipment about a year ago that was originally designed with bushings. I turned the gear/chain drivetrain handle twice, and promptly trashed the bushings and went with real bearings. The difference was night and day. Had to cut it apart, and redesign, but it was a real education...…….anything hand driven needs the best friction reducing components you can make work in the design.

The shafts are 1" cold rolled, I have had no problems with the bushings, the roller were machined by me.
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    The shafts are 1" cold rolled, I have had no problems with the bushings, the roller were machined by me.
    nice...
    Richard

Well done Jester. Thanks for the photos. Don't know if I'll be springing for a keyway broach any time soon, but am looking at them as well as how to create the radius grooves.

You can cut the groove on the lathe or drill press. Most time consuming parts is setting up to go it.

Radius cutting tools are not too difficult to make. Precision is important as chatter will cause destruction.

The vee rollers with my machine work well for 14g tube to solid round and are versatile. They deform 16 g wall tube.

If you buy the broach and collets you can use a bench press to do them. I built a press just to do broaching the black one. Another guy built the green one to copy mine better slider parts more stable. There is a separate size for the broach and the collet diameter.
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Jester, I'm thinking of purchasing a broach kit from Shars tools on line. The one I wanted has broaches that will do 2-1/2", which is my roller length, but they are currently out of stock. Any other suggestions? So hard to tell these days when the same tool imported from China can be sold under different brands and prices but be the same item.

I bought mine form MSC direct.com here is the page for bushings
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...ing+Categories
    Hypertherm 65
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Ebay also has a bunch of broaching items. I got a minute man kit for a great price a while back. I have also made my own specific diameter broaching guides/mandrels.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

This radius turning stuff is sorta fascinating, so I looked around at some tools.

The Holdridge is very nice, but not $1000 nice

Looked at some of the DIY indexable tools. But I mainly work with 1018, so carbide is out the window. And I really don't like the looks of the flat low profile ones I looked at (have to actually look at cross slide height etc. to make a final determination)

This guy does a nice sturdy one, and I really like the way he's dealt with the downward force...…...check out the ball bearing feature. Pretty cool. And he provided for a nice LONG handle, instead of the little anemic ones I've looked at. Longer would seem to be able to do the job easier, and with more control as you feed around the inside of the radius.

The actual turning starts at 11:30 in the video. Sorta cool music too, very easy on the ears.

Be a nice Winter project.

I converted a HF ring roller to turn via hydraulic motor utilizing the swag off road shaft I had to modify. It came out OK. I also converted it to a pump jack style not the threaded rod set up. I think I might built one like this is the future and get rid of the HF one. Great thread.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    This radius turning stuff is sorta fascinating, so I looked around at some tools.

The Holdridge is very nice, but not $1000 nice

Looked at some of the DIY indexable tools. But I mainly work with 1018, so carbide is out the window. And I really don't like the looks of the flat low profile ones I looked at (have to actually look at cross slide height etc. to make a final determination)

This guy does a nice sturdy one, and I really like the way he's dealt with the downward force...…...check out the ball bearing feature. Pretty cool. And he provided for a nice LONG handle, instead of the little anemic ones I've looked at. Longer would seem to be able to do the job easier, and with more control as you feed around the inside of the radius.

The actual turning starts at 11:30 in the video. Sorta cool music too, very easy on the ears.

Be a nice Winter project.
    That turnerclooks nice. However on smaller lathes the design actually introduces opportunity for chatter by coming off the tool holder. It also takes up a lot of real estate. Would really compromise the turning capacity on a smaller lathe.

Thanks for posting that one Sam, lots of light bulbs going on.

I found a Swag tube roller used that had an HF electric pipe threader to power it. It works surprisingly okay.

The only thing I had to do was build a cart to make it mobile.
    :