Millermatic 252 vs. Millermatic 255
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Millermatic 252 vs. Millermatic 255

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a chance to use the new Miller MM 255?
    I just picked up a used 252 but after watching the promo video on the 255 I kinda wish I had waited a little longer to upgrade. Maybe my heavy old 252 will outlast the fancy lightweight 255. I just wanted to see what everyones thoughts were and see if someone could give us a first hand comparison.

Re: Millermatic 252 vs. Millermatic 255

Sometimes I wonder if messages like the above are actually written as advertising.

I think it is a valid question. One that I'm interested in also.

cessnaman i will say we have 4 252's here in the shop that seem to be indestructible. Resale is also good on them and I wouldn't worry about getting your money out of it.

I would like to try a pulse machine in our shop. And the 255 is price right. I am concerned about longevity though.
    Tim

Miller
    MM 252, 350P

and now there is the Multimatic® 255 Multiprocess Welder too add into the mix.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Yes, dr clyde is probably a member here, he did a write up on Garage Journal on it. He is well qualified to make an assessment too.

Tim

Miller
    MM 252, 350P

Quote Originally Posted by T Red View Post
    I think it is a valid question. One that I'm interested in also.

cessnaman i will say we have 4 252's here in the shop that seem to be indestructible. Resale is also good on them and I wouldn't worry about getting your money out of it.

I would like to try a pulse machine in our shop. And the 255 is price right. I am concerned about longevity though.
    Longevity was the concern when Miller came out with their XMT 304. I think this was the first multi volt machine to be avaiable. My owner was concern about longevity so he only bought two. Those machines are still going today and used daily on jobsites . They are turned on at 6 and off at 2. They gotta be 15 years old and definitely paid for themselves.
    He did buy four more after a few years.

its always the same....

anything newer has a an inherent risk. old reliable has far less risk. but risk is also determind by the end user. for the hobby guys, almost zero risk. problems can arise but will be taken care of. a small inconvenience situation for that person, in another situation a person could stand to lose many times the equipments cost for the same failure.

this is the biggest factor. cost of the unknown, and how it will effect each user. i need to feed and house my family, so there is no way i will buy a new model unless from my lws who will suppky a replacement for the downtime. and even then, if there is a down time on even one job it will often negate any possible benefit or feature.

i love a new product that helps work flow. but there is a major risk no matter the supplier. everything i have has an older, back-up. and this has served me very well. i still have lots of the newer welders, dynasty, htpProPulse, tweco inverters, etc. some machines have cost me on one job but over performed in another. there is no correct answer and abosutley no new review. can tell you how time will take its toll. ive run a problem free 252 for years, so far very unimpressed by htp pulse. but lots of htp fanboys out there. my area is in desperate need of weld fab people like me, i dont want employees have helped start 3 guys now all went latest and greatest, none are still in business.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

I feel like us little guys will get squeezed with the newer inverter technology. Shipyards, railways, large scale manufacturers will benefit. They rotate out their old machines and if anything goes wrong the dealer or manufacturer of the machine will swap it out for them. The newer equipment may not last nearly as long as the old transformer machines. Big companies don't care as long as they can hire lower skilled labor with smarter and easier to use welders. When a board goes out on a small time guy's machine after the warranty expires they could be looking at a repair that costs half as much as a new machine. I don't use my equipment near as much as a lot of you do. I'm young but I hope my ideal arc 250 and miller 252 outlast me. I feel like there is some planned obsolescence with the newer stuff being offered. The new machines do look nice though. What is the consensus from the old timers here on Welding Web?
    Last edited by cessnaman; 08-21-2019 at 08:35 PM.