Newbie Welder Needs Help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Newbie Welder Needs Help

'Bout sums it up.

I built a lot of millwork before I got done, but I always wanted to do metal.

I built a forge when I was about 12 or so, and mainly just got iron hot and beat it flat with a claw hammer on a piece of railroad iron about a foot long.

It was fun!

Anyway, 40 years went by, and now I have sold off the 'cabinet shop', and gotten a fair little collection of welding equipment together, and I can't use it very well, but things are just about settled in at the new shop, so I should have more time to practice, going forward.

I'm in Austin, Texas.

Re: Newbie Welder Needs Help

Welcome from Texas!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Thanks, man.

Welcome to the Zoo.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

many places have schools where you can take welding classes. avoid prepaying for too many classes as often things change like you normal work or job hours. usually learn more in a classroom with a teacher than learning by your self
    avoid buying too much equipment. otherwise you really are just playing with adult toys. no sense buying $10,000 in equipment if you are only welding 1 hour per month. many weld alot for a few weeks than get bored with it.
    i have seen amateurs with more welding equipment than most professionals use.

Hats tipped to the overzealous amateur. Ive got a good deal or 2 running across these guy's. Hey Johnny B. Welcome I'm new to the forum stuff so excuse my ignorance if it shows to bad. I'm in rural va and I'm sure it's the same everywhere else but is there a tech or vocational training at the local high school possibly. Maybe a crazy neighbor with a odd fascination for angle iron, channel,or oh yeah I-beam. Maybe someone like that you could hang around and pick their brain and watch. I was blessed with a Jack of all trades pappaw and kinda rode his ankles every summer break.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Welcome to the Zoo.
    Thanks.

And which animal are you?

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    many places have schools where you can take welding classes. avoid prepaying for too many classes as often things change like you normal work or job hours. usually learn more in a classroom with a teacher than learning by your self
    avoid buying too much equipment. otherwise you really are just playing with adult toys. no sense buying $10,000 in equipment if you are only welding 1 hour per month. many weld alot for a few weeks than get bored with it.
    i have seen amateurs with more welding equipment than most professionals use.
    Well, it's as I said, I got sidetracked and spent 40 years with wood.

What I really wanted, when I was but a pup, was a very broad base of tools. . . .

Let me explain. My first ambition as a carpenter was to stop having to carry a 25 foot tape.

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by Splattercaster40 View Post
    Hats tipped to the overzealous amateur. Ive got a good deal or 2 running across these guy's. Hey Johnny B. Welcome I'm new to the forum stuff so excuse my ignorance if it shows to bad. I'm in rural va and I'm sure it's the same everywhere else but is there a tech or vocational training at the local high school possibly. Maybe a crazy neighbor with a odd fascination for angle iron, channel,or oh yeah I-beam. Maybe someone like that you could hang around and pick their brain and watch. I was blessed with a Jack of all trades pappaw and kinda rode his ankles every summer break.
    My father couldn't build a chicken coop, and he set out to prove it.

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome from NE GA