How long delay in welding is worth to turn off machine?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How long delay in welding is worth to turn off machine?

You're (MIG) welding, you have to go cut/grab/do something - how long delay is worth to turn off machine?

From economical (cost of electricity) / wear of machine by flicking it on/off standpoint. In idle it should use almost no electricity no? (running maybe some fans)?

Re: How long delay in welding is worth to turn off machine?

For me I would Turn off the machine anytime it would be idle more than 30 minutes. I also leave the machine running at least 15 minutes after I am completely done with it for the day just to let everything cool off with the fans running.

same as Weld.

It stays on during most general running around the shop during a project.

Off for lunch.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

If you're a one man show, and you're mostly doing one off's, it seems that you spend more time doing fitup than welding/tacking. Might as well turn the machine off when not using it. It'll get its chance to run when you do the finish welding.

Only machine I leave on is the plasma cutter. It's inverter based, and needs the fan to run for a predetermined time till it cools down. The fan shuts down when it reaches optimal temperature, then I shut it off. It's my understanding that the small inverters cannot survive long if not properly cooled.

Unless I'm using the engine drive in the field (where it also has to power a grinder), I turn it off as much as possible. I hate to hear it running, and every rpm gets it closer to wearing out. I HATE THE SOUND OF THAT KOHLER...…..blap blap blap blap blap blap blap…..sounds like a dam lawnmower.

Well Hell...…………………...it is a dam lawnmower for all practical purposes, engine wise

A better muffler (not just new, BETTER) may take care of some of that noise.

for me, I use a one to one ratio. Weld for one minute, let cool for one minute before turning off. Weld 5 minutes cool 5 minutes, off.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

depends on the welder. big transformers, especially the one i have with pfc. are sucking back 10-30 amps at idle. they get shut of and as soon as possible, but are also not used unless extensive welding is needed.

the everyday used inverters stay on pretty much all day, general use and tacking. i'am also 100% sure those machines dont have any gas leaks or the like. the other machines... meh when i'm hard at it a bit of gas loss and a big energy bill are more than covered by the job.

the only one constant is welders with an auto fan dont get turned off unless the fan kicks off, and the others that have a continous fan, i'm sure are cool before i flip the switch. never run hard and put away wet...
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Perhaps I will compare electric bills. Currently, I leave mine running 24/7. 3 years on a Lincoln 216. I began because I had a Lincoln 180 that had a fan issue at startup. Left that thing on about 8 of 11 years. Finally replaced the fan and sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Perhaps I will compare electric bills. Currently, I leave mine running 24/7. 3 years on a Lincoln 216. I began because I had a Lincoln 180 that had a fan issue at startup. Left that thing on about 8 of 11 years. Finally replaced the fan and sold it.
    That’s just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    depends on the welder. big transformers, especially the one i have with pfc. are sucking back 10-30 amps at idle. they get shut of and as soon as possible, but are also not used unless extensive welding is needed.

the everyday used inverters stay on pretty much all day, general use and tacking. i'am also 100% sure those machines dont have any gas leaks or the like. the other machines... meh when i'm hard at it a bit of gas loss and a big energy bill are more than covered by the job.

the only one constant is welders with an auto fan dont get turned off unless the fan kicks off, and the others that have a continous fan, i'm sure are cool before i flip the switch. never run hard and put away wet...
    You are right. Old transformer machines have capacitor banks that need to be kept charged. One reason to warm up a mig or any other tranny welder for a good 5 to 10 minutes. Inverter welders have reduced the capacitors so much that they get mounted on the circuit board, and thus draw very little.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

When I am using my welder, I leave the machine on, so that the cooling fan can keep the electronics cool. If I am going to stop welding for any period of time (eg to go cut something, use the bathroom, refill my water) I will leave the machine on and turn off the gas. (I hang my hood on the gas cylinder to help me remember to turn it back on).
    James
    AHP 200X TIG
    MillerMatic 175
    DaytonaMIG 135
    Chinese O/A

I've found that I make my purdiest welds when I leave the machine off Name:  mutley.gif
Views: 198
Size:  9.3 KB I can get the same results with the machine on,, if I sit on my hands

Home machines are ran different then jobsite machines. Job Sites are ran 8 hours a day or longer IF someone forgets to shut it down at end of the day od on a FRIDAY

If I gotta do something else that will take half hour I'll shut it down. This is on home power machine. When using my engine drive once started it stays on until done.

the two kemppi 400a transformer MIGs, and two of the Lincoln inverter TIG sets, at work stay switched on 24/7 unless the chargehand decides to tidy up and shut down on a friday afternoon... once a blue moon.

In fairness even the MIGs are within a decade old and probably not drawing much at idle... the machines never seem to get warm, and they all have fan on demand, so stands to reason that they aren't consuming much.

I'll switch my home shop machines off when I'm finished a job, or at the end of the day.

I'm more bothered about gas wastage than electric. Easy to lose a lot of gas through a very small leak.

I switch it on at the start of the day and switch it off when I close up.