Favorite way to field saddle pipe for fence
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Favorite way to field saddle pipe for fence

I’ve messed around with different methods for saddling pipe for fences. Here is where I am at:

New pipe: portaband. I know a torch may be a little quicker, but the portaband doesn’t make sparks. I figured this is an important factor when working in someone’s dry pasture.

Used pipe: definitely portaband. I’ve found the scale inside some of this pipe prevents a clean cut with a torch.

Anyone have any experience using a Vogel notcher or a Lowbuck on used oilfield pipe? It seems like the required skill level is lower and consistency very high. With the used pipe you never know what grade/hardness you get so I don’t know if the dies will hold up?

Anybody else have a favorite method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Favorite way to field saddle pipe for fence

I don't think a lowbuck would even wink at OP... I prefer the drycut saws as I don't have all day to wait for bandsaws and yes I know they can spit out some fairly hot bits but so does welding....

I made a pipe smasher out of a small hydraulic press. Cut to length, smash each end, weld it up.

I have owned a manual lowbuck. It will do schedule 40. Take a lot of effort and will wear you out if you have a lot of pipe. The thicker the pipe wall the smaller the nibble. The hydraulic upgrade might be alright, since it takes time to reposition the pipe and you will not need to wait on the machine to reset.

Seems like the portaband with aggressive blade will be the best option, since you can take it to the pipe. Won't take long to become proficient.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 08-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Seventy degree angled torch. Find top & bottom of pipe, mark 1/3 of diameter back, lay torch on top of pipe, cut back to mark & roll left then right. Perfect beveled cut every time.

torch it. it might give the oil pipe a bit of pre-cleaning for the weld

Make a mold with a hole saw and thick pipe. Split it. Now you have a torch guide( 2 actually)

What size pipe uprights and horizontals ? All used schedule 40 pipe ? I know you don't like sparks, but I would do all the coping off site or in a dedicated safe area. A slide on template and torch is quick. Depending on size, a big old Milwaukee grinder will do the job. You didn't say what process, but I think you'll be using stick. 6010 or 6011 rod will make up for any imperfections , no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What size pipe uprights and horizontals ? All used schedule 40 pipe ? I know you don't like sparks, but I would do all the coping off site or in a dedicated safe area. A slide on template and torch is quick. Depending on size, a big old Milwaukee grinder will do the job. You didn't say what process, but I think you'll be using stick. 6010 or 6011 rod will make up for any imperfections , no problem.
    Generally sch 40, but I’ve seen some thicker wall material occasionally. I’ve got the saddle marker templates for torch cutting and made a similar template for marking for a bandsaw. Some things just have to be cut in place such as posts to get a straight top rail. Everything is welded with 6010 or 6011 depending on what I have in the trailer. Overall the bandsaw is working good, I just wanted to see if I was missing out on some miracle method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aint no miracles when it comes to modding iron.I oughta go chew some 2" sch 40 with my Mikes. Done plenty of 1 1/4. no problem. I wanna say my handrails to my cabin are 2" sch 40. Can't recall. Coconut built those himself.....and portabanded the upright posts .Used that monster swag roller for all the curves and stuff(my part)