6010 Rod
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6010 Rod

6010 Rod

I am just wondering if anyone has experience with using a 6010 on higher frequency A/C , like maybe 120HZ from a generator welder?

I have not been able to try it yet and may need to add a DC output to the welder if it does not work.

Thanks, Mike

Re: 6010 Rod

If all you have is ac weld power, forget it. Use 6011.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

what are you welding that 6011 wouldn't be suitable for? 6011 is designed to operate on AC.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    If all you have is ac weld power, forget it. Use 6011.
    this!
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

If you have a dC welder use 6011. 6010 is the Home Depot 2 x 4 version of a welding rod. If you're buying pallets, go for it. If not buy 5-10-50 lbs of a rod that will run on anything that plugs in and do the same job as the hard hat/pankake boys and their 5P religion( based on the accounting dept of the project at hand)

I should have been more specific.

I have a bunch of 6010 already and a welder generator with 120hz.

I was only asking if anyone has tried on a higher frequency if that's all you have., Not that I need 6010 for a special purpose.

I also have a bunch of parts laying around to add DC on f I need.

Thanks
    Last edited by mikey89032; 08-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Add the DC if you want to burn up the 6010. AC will just give you grief
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by mikey89032 View Post
    I should have been more specific.

I have a bunch of 6010 already and a welder generator with 120hz.

I was only asking if anyone has tried on a higher frequency if that's all you have., Not that I need 6010 for a special purpose.

I also have a bunch of parts laying around to add DC on f I need.

Thanks
    Arc Pig.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Arc Pig.
    That will work on 6010 with AC? I have something similar called a frequency stabilizer by Dayton or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey89032 View Post
    That will work on 6010 with AC? I have something similar called a frequency stabilizer by Dayton or something ?
    I don't have one. I understand it reduces, or eliminates arc instability of the sort you are concerned with. 6011 is 6010 with "arc stabilizers in the flux.

AC is different from DC because gas is not readily conductive. A welding arc is constant with DC (6010) in AC the arc snuffs out 120 times each second. A new arc must grow. 6011 has an arc stabilizing component in the flux. Hi Freq. (in TIG welders) does the same thing, maintains ionization of gas while the voltage and current die. Arc Pig is claimed to do the same. It has been on the market many years. Owners swear by it.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

In the 1980's I got to play around with a Miller square wave. I tried GMAW on it and on balanced square wave I could easily run 7018 and 6010 LOL All I can figure is that it was running DC with an instantaneous change of current direction..... well comparatively instant. On a sine wave AC the rods were difficult.

I had a buzzbox that had two taps in mid range with like i think 70 or higher ocv. I think pipe thaw range. It burned old Lincoln 6010.

If I was stuck on a deserted island, I would choose 6010 over 7018.

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    In the 1980's I got to play around with a Miller square wave. I tried GMAW on it and on balanced square wave I could easily run 7018 and 6010 LOL All I can figure is that it was running DC with an instantaneous change of current direction..... well comparatively instant. On a sine wave AC the rods were difficult.

edit, what you made me think of is am and fm radio. Am is amplitude modulation and Fm is frequency modulation. What you describe sounds like an arc pig modulating on dc current. I think 6010 needs hi ocv.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    edit, what you made me think of is am and fm radio. Am is amplitude modulation and Fm is frequency modulation. What you describe sounds like an arc pig modulating on dc current. I think 6010 needs hi ocv.
    Well I. Think my Miller Roughneck 2e has 120 Hertz with 80ocv.

Do you have any long arc problem? With sixty10?

Do you have any long arc problem? With sixty10?
    I am not sure, I am still restoring the welder, I am pretty much new at welding and have a lot of 6010 to practice with.

I do know from the specs that it is 200 amp with 80ocv and 120hz ac.

What you describe sounds like an arc pig modulating on dc current. I think 6010 needs hi ocv.
    the arc pig doesn't modulate welding current at all. It just uses HF to quickly light the arc up.

In practice, if your 6010 arc is snuffing out, or almost snuffing, on AC every time the voltage sine wave hits zero, then it's rapidly lighting it back up again. As you say, you need high OCV to run it properly, but high OCV on AC may work if the overall input is high enough for the rod... plus help from the HF to keep it lit. It still sounds like a massive bodge and still won't run like a proper DC power source.

to OP: Just get the DC power source sorted, it should be better in the long run. Or sell the generator and buy a new one with DC.

Living proof someone can find a harder way to do it.

I was referring to running 6010 (DC rod) on AC. I wasn't addressing the open circuit voltage problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    the arc pig doesn't modulate welding current at all. It just uses HF to quickly light the arc up.

In practice, if your 6010 arc is snuffing out, or almost snuffing, on AC every time the voltage sine wave hits zero, then it's rapidly lighting it back up again. As you say, you need high OCV to run it properly, but high OCV on AC may work if the overall input is high enough for the rod... plus help from the HF to keep it lit. It still sounds like a massive bodge and still won't run like a proper DC power source.

to OP: Just get the DC power source sorted, it should be better in the long run. Or sell the generator and buy a new one with DC.

If I could find one for the price I paid for this, I will jump on it for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Living proof someone can find a harder way to do it.

I am just beginning and working with what i have. Of course I could take the easy way out , but I wouldn't learn much about what works..

I'm a woodworker. I'm fascinated with the way it was done 200 years ago.
    My sister accuses me of having to plant the tree I will build a piece of furniture from. She exaggerates, I only want to cut the tree. I admit planting Black Walnut trees, but don't hope to live to use the lumber.

I seek the harder way to do it.

Shopping is so much easier than it was 25 yrs ago. A guy can find a DC buzzer for half what they sell for new. Aint worth fuggin around when the right good machine is so cheap.
    I am just beginning and working with what i have. Of course I could take the easy way out , but I wouldn't learn much about what works..
    All the more reason to follow the standard.

just use 6011 instead of 6010. if they called it 6010AC instead of 6011 would it make you feel better ?

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    just use 6011 instead of 6010. if they called it 6010AC instead of 6011 would it make you feel better ?
    Thats a good one! I love me some 6010AC so I can use my 70A wal-mart 110V stick welder to weld me some pipe yo!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC