Ranger 8 LPG
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Ranger 8 LPG

Ranger 8 LPG

Hi every one.
    I have a chance to get a Ranger 8 LPG for free it was a rental years ago and hasn't been used. I hooked up a battery and a 33lb. LPG tank and it turns over and tries to fire but will not start.
    Any ideas on things to check will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Ranger 8 LPG

Well the price is right.
    Check out the fuel system. Propane systems are not as difficult as most people think.
    There should be a fuel lock. Basically a solenoid that clicks on/off with the key.
    There may or may not be a filter and it may or may not be part of the fuel lock.
    There is a Regulator that uses engine vacuum to vary the amount of fuel fed to the engine. This is a lot like a torch regulator but continuously variable.
    Just like carbureted engines these parts can fail or get dirty. Check them all and clean if needed make sure you have fuel flow through the whole system.
    Be carful using solvents on the diaphragm and rubber parts. Dish soap is preferred.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

thanks propanehotrod I figured it out it has a low oil shut off and it was down about a half qt. It fired up and purred like a kitten now I just need to hook some leads up or a volt meter and see if it puts out any juice.

That's great.
    I have been looking for a good used lpg unit for a while now.
    Some guys have all the luck.
    Enjoy!
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.