Gas cylinder size? Exchange vs Fill? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Gas cylinder size? Exchange vs Fill?

CO2 also gives just a bit more oomph at the top end. CO2 has some great advantages - tank prices and size, welding time per dollar spent, wide spread availability. C25 has a bigger "sweet spot" settings wise, and all things being equal will have less spatter (both CO2 and C25 can get near zero spatter though). Some welders have inductance settings for different gasses/metals but with a little time, patience, and prep you can get near spatter free with either (not ether!) gas.

It pays to go big on the tanks, I use both 125 and 250 cu ft C25 tanks, the 125 is barely portable. If I was portable gas welding often or mainly I would use CO2.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-17-2019 at 10:16 PM.

I have a 125er and a40 or an 80, not sure on the smaller one, but with my back, the bigger one is a way more than I can handle without a mechanical aid.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    What city are you in ?
    Lyndon Station, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Exactly, you can't go wrong with that. There are no universal rules that we tell you that your welding gas supplier has to follow. It all varies across the country. A lot of times, you can't even buy a new tank, it's just the same ol' beat up tank that gets exchanged all the time within that supplier. You're simply "buying a tank".

If you go CO2, there is also a CO2-specific flowmeter that you can get, as opposed to getting an argon/co2 and then an adapter.
    Problem is they want over $200 just for a 40 cf tank.

Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    So just buy one online and have it delivered. One word: Amazon.
    Last edited by Oscar; 08-19-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Who is "they"

What welding supply place is the closest?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    So just buy one online and have it delivered. One word: Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=welding+t...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Expensive way to go but it will surely get you rolling now.

Again, go CO2, you will save money and be happier. Go buy this for $30, take it in for an exchange and get a full one for probably a $30 exchange fee (tops). https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bfs...959511812.html
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

...take it in for an exchange and get a full one for probably a $30 exchange fee (tops).
    Except if you go to AirGas in Hawaii where they will NOT exchange a non-AirGas bottle...and if you do have a Air-Gas stamped bottle they will charge you $100+ for 20 lb of CO2. If you purchase a Air-Gas bottle on exchange, it costs $350, one-time bottle-ownership fee!!! Or lease-for-exchange for $1 per day.

So I purchased a new alum 20lb bottle from Amazon ($129) and go to my local fire extinguisher refill station for $80 refill, per 20lb bottle.

Price of living in paradise, I guess.
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

HOUGAN HMD 505

HOUGAN HMD 130

FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

Local security/fire extinguisher business near me fills any size CO2 bottle for $20. I bought a 20lb tank for that reason.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=welding+t...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Expensive way to go but it will surely get you rolling now.
    How so? A brand new (according to Amazon) aluminum 20lb CO2 tank is $125 delivered

Or this one for less than $100 shipped:

just gotta make sure the shop will accept these on a trade, and you'd be set.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Take a trip to my guy, well worth it. http://www.advancedweldingsupply.com/
    I'm not sure if this is still current.
    We offer a wide variety of cylinders that come full with the Gas of your desire.

If you currently have a cylinder we can exchange it out for a full. (As long as you own it)

Prices for Oxygen, 100% Argon, 75/25 Argon/CO2, Nitrogen Cylinders "Includes Fill"

20 cf. Size "R" - $90
    40 cf. Size "F" - $135
    80 cf. Size"Q" - $185
    125 cf. Size "M" - $215
    150 cf. Size "S" - $225

Acetylene Cylinders "Includes Fill"

MC Size - $85
    B Size - $115
    #3 - 75 cf. - $175
    #4 - 135 cf. - $225

Guys, I wound up buying a 40 cf (#2) tank off Amazon and traded it in at Blains Farm and Fleet on a full tank of 75/25 for another $25. So, I am set for the limited welding I will be doing. I may take a closer look at C02 at some point, but for now, I am good.
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Guys, I wound up buying a 40 cf (#2) tank off Amazon and traded it in at Blains Farm and Fleet on a full tank of 75/25 for another $25. So, I am set for the limited welding I will be doing. I may take a closer look at C02 at some point, but for now, I am good.
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
    You bought the right gas. Tank size is very small for C25. Two hours goes pretty quick. The 80 size wouldn't have been much more to buy and the exchange would be the exact same price by a buck or two.
    Glad you got yourself setup.

I have a lot of bottles and doubt if I have $100 in any one of them and there are a bunch of 80's, 125's and 250's in the stash. You have to search a little and watch Craigslist and Pawn Shops.
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-25-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    I have a lot of bottles and doubt if I have $100 in any one of them and there are a bunch of 80's, 125's and 250's in the stash. You have to search a little and watch Craigslist and Pawn Shops and find a supplier that doesn't have an entire forest up their azz when you want to spend money with them.
    Fixed it for you

Guys, I wound up buying a 40 cf (#2) tank off Amazon and traded it in at Blains Farm and Fleet on a full tank of 75/25 for another $25
    You could always have that tank filled with CO2. It will hold probably 16 lbs of CO2, which would be close to 140 cubic feet of gas.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

My preferred LWS for gas (california tool and welding supply) will cross exchange bottle types and sizes and give you the credit for what they sell the bottle for. C25, argon, tri mix, co2, they just switch the bottle and the math is done on the computer with no drama. there is a small charge if it's out of certification.

They have taken bottles with company stamped neck rings but I haven't tried it in a few years. On that note I have received bottles with obviously ground down neckrings before - one I had to bondo because it was so obvious I was worried they wouldn't take it back in exchange.

Louie - If using a argon mix tank for CO2 only do you have to change out the valve? I'd never even thought about doing that, thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-26-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    My preferred LWS for gas (california tool and welding supply) will cross exchange bottle types and sizes and give you the credit for what they sell the bottle for. C25, argon, tri mix, co2, they just switch the bottle and the math is done on the computer with no drama. there is a small charge if it's out of certification.

They have taken bottles with company stamped neck rings but I haven't tried it in a few years. On that note I have received bottles with obviously ground down neckrings before - one I had to bondo because it was so obvious I was worried they wouldn't take it back in exchange.

Louie - If using a argon mix tank for CO2 only do you have to change out the valve? I'd never even thought about doing that, thanks for the idea.
    Just about every "customer owned" I get from Matheson is a grind of and they do a terrible job of taking the lettering off. OMG a mess then a shout of black or silver paint and they are customer owned just like that. 1 out of 6 is legit from there with blank ring that hasn''t been ground on or actually says customer owned on it. I don't like taking them really but you need gas and that's all they got. Actually I have to preorder 2-3 weeks ahead(if they have any in Tampa)
    so they can put them on the truck as my location doesn't fill anything.

I am not sure...you may be able to get by with a CGA320 adapter. This only works in one direction though. You can put CO2 in a pressure gas cylinder, but you can't put compressed gas in a CO2 tank.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post

Doesn't really matter though as just swap the mixed gas tank out for the CO2 tank and be on your way. They don't care. Tank is a tank. C25 tank for a CO2 tank no problem. Talking real high pressure tanks. All the same.
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.

80 cf tank minimum,,, 125 is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    80 cf tank minimum,,, 125 is better.
    Exactly.

125 is just manageable for most but gets you a fairly good amount of gas for your money.

Guys, once I quit "playing" with my welder, I will probably only need to do an exchange once a year since I don't do that much. However, if I pick up a project that requires a lot of welding, it may become an issue.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this thread. I have learned a lot from all the opinions and advice. My first real project with the welder was to weld a mounting bracket on my trailer for my spare. Here is a photo of it. It ain't pretty, but I think it will hold just fine. I came pretty close to bending the threaded rod testing it. Just don't laugh. I am a rookie.

Name:  Weld2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  Weld.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  67.7 KB
    Last edited by esox07; 09-01-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Does that tire sort of rest on the tail light bracket and fender?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt