parking lot sale titanium 140 worth it?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

parking lot sale titanium 140 worth it?

Would a titanium mig 140 be good to start welding with flux core/mig? ive been wanting to start welding and friday i managed to snag one at the harbor freight parking lot sale for $200 that looks new, but it was missing the ground cable and the regulator & hose but i have 5 days to return so i figured why not try it and see if it works.

I managed to find a ground cable from a friend and it welds flux core from what i can tell just fine, although i cant weld for crap being the first time ever welding. Any opinions on if its worth keeping? So far i really like it and it seemed like a decent deal compared to my local craigslist and facebook marketplace.

Re: parking lot sale titanium 140 worth it?

For 200 bucks and it works, hang on to it you can never have to many welders.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Sounds like a decent deal, like mechanic says... you can never have too many welders

Kepp practicing on the welding and you'll be fine.

Thanks, now i just need enough scrap metal to practice on. I'm going to do a scrap yard run come monday and get some metal, hopefully enough to atleast get somewhat better and to make a small cart i can put the welder on. They actually had some more welders like a protig 165 and a omnipro 220 and im going head back today when they open and see what all they have left.

Start taking plenty of pics because we all love pictures and then we can 'criticize' your skillz heh heh.... it's always easier when you have a dozen eyes to spot issues you may be having and get things corrected fast!!! makes the learning process a lot quicker

If you have 220 power, I would definitely get a 220 machine if that's what the others are. The 110 volt are fine for thin material and a dedicated at least 20 amp. A 30 amp is better.
    If you want cLeaner welds and less clean gas is definitely nicer.

good little welder.
    keep it and sharpen your skills with it.

I watched a video on the tube where a guy was running it non-stop and it never hit the duty cycle. I was very impressed with it. I think you got an awesome deal.

Hard to be it for 200 bucks.

Looks like a solid unit (sorry no personal experience), but it's rumored the titanium line design is "inspired" by everlast welders. Everlast has sold and warrantied enough units to mostly get the bugs out, and HF has shown some proven efforts (through members here) to step their welder quality game up big time.

If HF sells arc welding stingers with leads for cheap you can remove the stinger and add a ground clamp (I like the copper/brass alloy deals). I'd call local welding supplies and stereo shops though to see who will give you the best price for the ground clamp wiring/connectios.

Keep it clean and in good shape and you can most likely sell it for what you paid (maybe more, maybe less, always a bit of a gamble), so not too big of a risk if you go past the 5 days or if you decide you want to upgrade. Congrats on a good score and welcome to the welding world!

I managed to weld for about a hour or 2 before my friend had to come repo his ground clamp for his own welder so ill definitely have to come up with a ground cord tomorrow, i already have a ground clamp and i was gonna go to the lws to look for a dinse connector and wire and also check on prices for a regulator, flow meter, and bottle. can anyone recommend a wire size for a ground? the welder is 140 amps max, 30% duty cycle at 90 amps. As for welding so far, i have to keep stopping myself from going too fast and im slowly working out keeping the correct ctwd and drag angle.

My millermatic 211 (230 amps tops) came factory with a 6awg 10ft ground - I felt it was too small. I upgraded but depending on what you want to spend I'd go with a 10-15 ft 6 awg, 15+ ft 4 awg. Duty cycle comes into play in allowing a smaller wire, and IMO you could do an 8awg if money was REALLY tight but keep it 10 ft and under, and check how hot it gets as you weld. A little extra ground cable length (5ish ft.) really helps when you have a short mig gun cable (10 ft).

A clean ground spot near the gun and a properly sized cable will help get the most juice from your welder.

Remember to check your electrical connections every once in a while as they go through a good bit of thermal expansion cycles and can come loose - often the ground connection is the first to tell.

Welp had a rough experience with the LWS, i figured just knowing it was a dinse 10-25 connector would be enough to tell the owner thats what i needed so i didnt bring the welder with me and he said he needed to know the make of the welder and to see it before he could tell me if he had any connectors and when i told him it was a harbor freight welder he said he didnt have/ could get any parts for it???? when he had a shelf full of other size dinse connectors that were too big so i ordered two off of amazon for $7 thatll be here by dinner tomorrow. He had some wire but wanted $8 a foot for 6 awg wire and it seemed high so i didnt buy any.

Last I remember you can get *real* copper welding cable wire for ~4/ft and that's for four ought 4/0 most the 3, 2 and 1 ought sizes I think run 3 to 2 bux a foot ebay and I think the same place sells on Amz.

I've had a Titanium 140 for a while, good welder for DIY, I just traded it for a titanium multi-process 200 because I wanted the TIG option and,
    240 volt for heavier material. For the money they are great, I did change out the ground clamp with a HD version. Yea, for around the home projects you won't get hurt.