Miller diversion 180 not welding aluminum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller diversion 180 not welding aluminum

Hi Welding Web,

First post on the forum, desperately hoping I can get some assistance

I have a Miller Diversion 180 that I use almost exclusively to TIG weld aluminum. About a month ago, it began acting up and I brought it in for repair.

It welds steel fine, but when welding aluminum, it acts like there is not gas flow (although there is). It has been in for repair and come back with an entirely new motherboard (as it was under warranty) but is still doing the same exact thing. I feel like I'm going crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Miller diversion 180 not welding aluminum

Well apparently they didn't test it, take it back and have them test it this time.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Welcome to the forum. Possibly bad gas?

So many possibilities.
    Are you using pure argon?
    AC?
    1/8" or thinner?
    What filler variety?
    15 CFH argon?
    Very short arc?
    Hit it with enough current to form a puddle in three seconds or less. I had a Diversion 180. I found its duty cycle to be very low. Steel welded fine, it ran short of power with aluminum.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnels12000 View Post
    Hi Welding Web,

First post on the forum, desperately hoping I can get some assistance

I have a Miller Diversion 180 that I use almost exclusively to TIG weld aluminum. About a month ago, it began acting up and I brought it in for repair.

It welds steel fine, but when welding aluminum, it acts like there is not gas flow (although there is). It has been in for repair and come back with an entirely new motherboard (as it was under warranty) but is still doing the same exact thing. I feel like I'm going crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Are your using different collet/collet body? You really should pick up a portable gas flow checker to confirm gas flow to the torch. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welding-Gas...53.m1438.l2649

Could be a bad backcap, crushed collet, crack in gas hose, ect. But I also agree, the repair facility should have tested the machine.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.