ROPS for a Ford 3000 tractor - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: ROPS for a Ford 3000 tractor

I don’t think I’ve pulled the seatbelt once on my little BX

As far as inclines
    I added 2” spacers on the rear wheels and it made all the difference in the world

My ROPS are always in use ...
    The only time I fold them down is to get the machine into the shed for storage.

I thought about cutting it down but then I would probably whack my head
    When using the backhoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

ROPS for a Ford 3000 tractor

Oh yeah,
    One more word about safety switches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Do tractor seat belts come with only lap belts or do they have shoulder belts like cars? I have only seen lap belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. Most of the ones I've seen are 3" lap belts. I'd guess collision impacts are not what tractor operators need to be concerned with.
    I am only thinking here, ROPS structure could kill you should you be thrown from the seat. Belted in the seat, there is little likelihood you'll be squeezed between the ROPS, and earth.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I keep hoping to see some progress...……..and I'm not bein' an azzhole.

If you're in doubt, take a look at a factory job, and copy it. Most of them are simply bolted to the axle, or somewhere on the transmission/final drive.

It's a scary project for the first time out of the box on something of this nature. Take a bit of time to think, and you'll be fine. I run into first off's all the time. Time spent over a donut, and iced tea, makes up for a lot of possible disasters.

I am out of town for a week. I have to make templates for the holes for the plates to be bolted to. I have to clean the rust off the tubing so it can be painted. I have set up a jig to position the tubing so it does not rub the tires. I need to consider placement of a fender. I need to decide on the crossbar. Do I want to weld the crossbar to the supports or weld gussets and bolt to gussets. I need caps. Lots of details to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Me too. Most of the ones I've seen are 3" lap belts. I'd guess collision impacts are not what tractor operators need to be concerned with.
    I am only thinking here, ROPS structure could kill you should you be thrown from the seat. Belted in the seat, there is little likelihood you'll be squeezed between the ROPS, and earth.
    My Kioti has a 2" lap belt (typical car seatbelt width). The left (female) side is fixed. The male (right) side is retractable.

Yes, the belt is meant to keep you in the seat and within a safe clearance space so you don't get popped like a pimple between the tractor (including the ROPS) and the earth. This page has a cute picture on it demonstrating how a ROPS works:

http://grok.ecn.uiowa.edu/farmsafety...d-small-farms/

It's the same concept with open-cockpit race cars that have a roll hoop behind the driver's head.

The other benefit to a seatbelt is that it can help keep you in place and in control on inclines or if something causes the tractor to lurch, buck, rear up, or stop suddenly.

Stuff happens sudden. I once was Bush Hogging with an old International B275, similar size to the Ford 3000. These tractors were noted for their light front end, and front wheels coming off the ground. I hadn't owned it long at the time. I was on a side hill meadow moving straight up the fall line at the very edge, to my right was a steep bank dropping to a road.

I lifted the hog, when I did the front wheels lifted, as it started to pivot I hit the brake. Only one side locked up, making the pivot 90 degrees instantaneous! I crashed down over the side into the road backward. The hog prevented it from toppling over backward. It was one wild ride!

No harm done, but my heart rate sure was fast!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.