Old...Old 7018 Rods
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Old...Old 7018 Rods

I found a dozen very old 5/32" 7018 rods on a shelf in the garage. My dad gave me these about 35 years ago and they have been laying open in my hot/humid/cold garage ever since.

I had a couple pieces of rusty 1/2" rebar so I thought I'd try these rods to see if they would still work.

I ran them at ~180 amps with a little whip and, to me, they seemed to work just fine....here's the results.

I need a lot of stick practice so please ignore the quality of the bead....I just wanted to see if they would work.

Name:  20190829_103525.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  97.5 KB
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

Re: Old...Old 7018 Rods

Looks good to me

don't whip 7018. Rusty old rebar may not be the best test for these.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

about what i'd expect from using old old 7018 on rebar made from who knows what. if we ignore the quality of the bead what was the point again?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Old rod, up on old scaled steel that went thru a fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    about what i'd expect from using old old 7018 on rebar made from who knows what. if we ignore the quality of the bead what was the point again?
    The point is that they still worked.

I see people questioning whether 7018 will work ok if not kept in an oven. When my dad picked this up from a job site where steel worker welders dropped them, they were laying in mud. He rinsed them off before he gave them to me.

I know rusty old rebar wasn't the best to run these on, but it's just what I had laying around close. I just wanted to see if they would still burn.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    don't whip 7018. Rusty old rebar may not be the best test for these.
    Louie....why shouldn't you whip 7018?

Are there other rods you also shouldn't whip?
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

6010/6011 is traditionally whipped for keyhole type penetration to make sure you get full penetration on a root pass. For 7018, a whip is just too much motion. You end up with an inconsistent sized bead rather than the stack of dimes look you get with 601X rod. Do something like small circles, small side to side action or just a straight drag with 7018. I think the same is pretty true of 7014 and 6013.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerhgm View Post
    Louie....why shouldn't you whip 7018?

Are there other rods you also shouldn't whip?
    Depends on what you call whipping.

If you take the rod completely out of the puddle, drag it back along the joint while waiting for the puddle to solidify, then whip back into the puddle...……..That's whipping.

On the other hand, and ya better be pretty good working with 7018...………..if you pull back from the face of the puddle a bit, then gently nudge the puddle to build it up (like when going over a mondo gap), WITHOUT FULLY LEAVING THE HEAT ZONE...…….that's "oscillation", and not whipping. But you better be really good at reading the puddle, otherwise you'll pull out too far, and risk slag entrapment.

And...………. old 7018 rods may "run", but I'd really not wanna trust my life to the welds (shrug) They're fine for practice though.

Hell, I'd rather call it "manipulation" than "oscillation". Oscillation implies a circular motion. I NEVER WELD WITH A CIRCULAR MOTION. Pushing the material yields a better looking weld.

I had about 100 lbs of 7024 that sat in a bucket of rain water on & off for about 15 years, I still use them, they still run great, I just run over the wire wheel to knock the rust off the ends and go to town, occasionally find one the the flux is failing and cracking/flaking off so I just toss it. I realize the thread is about 7018 but........ I got all that rod in 1986, paid 6 cents a pound for it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Another "cracks me up" thread.

It's like the coat hanger or bailing wire and O/A torch weld - it generally works fine, but you shouldn't rely on it when the result HAS to be as good as possible. If the welds do the job on non critical items, go ahead and use it there - better than throwing it away. If the welds turn out obviously bad, THEN you should throw it away.

The 7024 isn't my "go to" choice, but use it on in position stuff that isn't too critical. It's great rod, within it's limitations, being an "in position" rod only. I always loved that it almost looked like a sub-arc weld.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Bend a rod to crack off the slag. If the bare rod isn't rusty you can treat it in a rod oven and make it low-hydrogen again.

If you are just monkeying around, sure, use up the rod. The weld might be brittle but you will have had practice.

metalmagpie

Nothing I weld id structure/critical
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

On mild steel, it shouldn't make a bit of difference whether the 7018 was stored in an oven or in a bucket of water. Haven't we been through this like a thousand times?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    On mild steel, it shouldn't make a bit of difference whether the 7018 was stored in an oven or in a bucket of water. Haven't we been through this like a thousand times?
    It is hard to ignore the internet, YouTube, and the instructions on the box that the 7018 came in. None of these places mention that mild steel does not require baked 7018 and they all assume you are welding on high strength steel. It is nice to have this forum to set people right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk