Sa200 with spoolgun for aluminum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Sa200 with spoolgun for aluminum

I know it has been talked about on here briefly, but no one has brought up the WELDMART spoolgun,for DC aluminum welding. I have a blackface sa200 and want to do some light aluminum work. I spoke with Larry from weldmart, and he says with the right setup it can be done. Has anyone used this setup from him? It’s a profax AEC-200spoolgun, with controller. Now I’m not looking for picture perfect welds, this would be used for container field repair, or farm sprinkler repair. Thanks in advance!

Re: Sa200 with spoolgun for aluminum

If your SA200 has a CV tap then you could get a setup that will give you some decent welds. If it is a CC only machine I would not bother trying it. Many years ago (70's) I ran a spool gun off of a Hobart stick / tig welder. It did work but not well. The wire was sporadic and burn back to the point of damaging the tips was a constant problem. I have worked on farm sprinkler and irrigation tube. It is quite thin . I would not want to do it with a CC machine running a spool gun.

There are a lot of options available fairly inexpensively now days. I would explore some other options. Like the man told you there is stuff that can make it work to some extent . You could do it . It will just be very frustrating and results will be sporadic and limited . The thinner the material the more frustrating it will be with wire that can not be kept at a smooth feed rate.

You must move very fast mig welding thin aluminum. Trying to do it with a sporadic wire feeder would be almost impossible for more than a few inches .
    Last edited by thegary; 09-06-2019 at 09:42 AM.

That makes sense. The guy told me that they used to weld aluminum back in the WWII days with SAs all the time. I just have yet to find anyone who currently uses a setup like this. Maybe it’s time to upgrade my machine...I’m not a pipeline welder by any means, but I like the old school ease of use and reliability of the old machines...thanks for the info!

Those Lincoln SA-200s are nothing but junk!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Here is what one of my Lincolns can do with a spool gun.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

CEP, I have the exact same setup. Mine has the pulse panel.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

I only played with the pulse when I bought the welder.
    Here is what it can do.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Your pics are not showing up!

Quote Originally Posted by Hank1010 View Post
    That makes sense. The guy told me that they used to weld aluminum back in the WWII days with SAs all the time. I just have yet to find anyone who currently uses a setup like this. Maybe it’s time to upgrade my machine...I’m not a pipeline welder by any means, but I like the old school ease of use and reliability of the old machines...thanks for the info!
    I am sure they did and it still can , it just makes an easy job hard to do. They did it because that all they had and made do just like I did back in the 70's with the setup I had to use. The difference was CV machines were available in the 70's but the outfit I worked for would not spend the money to get a better setup. The stuff I had to use was probably 15-20 years old when I was using it in my 20's.

CEP, mine also has pulse on pulse for aluminum. That puts the dimes in for you. Makes all kinds of sounds, but does do a pretty weld.

I use it mostly on steel with 92 Argon, 8 Co2. Tried 98 argon 2 O2, not as much control.

Works great on aluminum. It can be dialed way down to weld 1/16" aluminum. I have some posted here a long time ago.

We mostly TIG aluminum.

David.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Probably not worth trying on less than 3/16" material. With 1/16" wire and higher amperage it may work. Thick wire and high amps is about the only way mig welding is practical on a CC machine.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.