AC225S Transformer Repair Help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AC225S Transformer Repair Help

Hello all,

I'm restoring an old AC225S and I am having trouble understanding how the transformer taps for the different current settings are attached. The lead for the 40amp setting has com loose from the transformer side, and I can't seem to find a repair process anywhere. Can someone please enlighten me? I am pretty sure solder is not the answer, and I don't know how you would make a mechanical connection, so is it brazed or what? Name:  20190831_194233.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  79.8 KBName:  20190831_194313.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  87.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: AC225S Transformer Repair Help

I'd bet they were soldered and the tin pest got in there and ate the connection. Copper flats for the windings right?

Yes, the windings are copper. The machine was likely built in 1973 from what I can tell. So I just need a high power solder iron to get hot enough to heat all that copper? What type of solder?

I think I may have to back track a bit. Looking closer, the winding seems to be aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by eztrigger View Post
    I think I may have to back track a bit. Looking closer, the winding seems to be aluminum.
    To clarify, that device is known as a "reactor" not a transformer and you suspect correctly as to the material being aluminum. As such you'll need to use a solder made for joining aluminum and copper. A google search will show a number of brands/sources.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

That's a good clarification duaneb55.

I would unwind the 40 amp winding as much as possible and prep,prep,prep if weld/braze or tign. Mechanical connection done rite would be more practical imo.

Interesting!

Today's Ask a Schoolteacher:

I've always thought an old AC225 like this one was a step better than my Wards PowrKraft (Century?) AC230 that was sold about the same time. But today with both machines elderly, it seems the Wards design with a slug that slides in/out of the transformer to vary the current, might be less likely to need repair as it ages, compared to a tapped transformer. Less envy now. Is there a difference in capability between the two types, tapped vs slug?

Reactor? I'm curious, what's the technical description for that term, and how do these welders differ from just a transformer? Is that object in the photo not the primary transformer but some sort of choke?
    Last edited by California; 09-08-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Schoolteacher huh? We be professors here. Son.

Slug is one reactor. Tapped has multiple reactors. The tapped machine will work on other taps even if 40amp's broken. tho.

The slug has one reactor and varies current with position of windings. I was to young to care when those monkey ward stuf came out but your slug must have been state of the art at the time. Eventually The tapped would be more dependable imo.

Reactor, Coil spring whatever you call it is the simplest but least understood and most best concept ever and will continue

Oh btw, reactor means bad *** winding

Hey Duane can you explain what that insane guy was trying to tell us?

Son??? First time someone not family has called me by that in maybe 60 years. I could have been your grandpa when those welders were sold!
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Thanks all, this has been quite the informative read! It occurred to me that a mechanical connection might be the easier fix last night and this morning's read seems to confirm that. Since the problem is on the outer end of the winding, I think I may be able to just peel back a bit of the winding and clamp the pieces together.

Never used the 40 on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Never used the 40 on one.
    Ha, well I considered I may never use that setting as well, but I figure I should at least take a stab at fixing it since I have the whole thing opened up to de-rust, clean, paint, etc.