Small workshop layout ideas
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Small workshop layout ideas

Hey all!

I am in the process of equipping my small basement workshop over the upcoming winter for some welding, metalworking, general house repair work and DIY. Space available is 16m2 (172 square feet) as per the bottom layout.

Some actual pictures of the current state:

Door and chimney area:

Cupboard area:
    I know, its a mess I paln to keep this setup here, since I do work on motorcycles too, especially fork rebuilds in this area.

Raised platform area:
    I had to raise the floor for 50mm in this corner to make it flat over some old pipes. Plan for this platform is to hold some shelves for tools and equipment along with a industrial grade filtration unit / fume extractor. You can also see my tiny welding table and sheet metal shears I was rebuilding on it.

Far corner:
    In this area I plan a welding table (1500mmx800mm; 60"x30"). Welding table will be on wheels, so I can move it to centre of the room when working and store it in the area between the raised platform and the wall. I was thinking of mounting the bench grinder on the wall below the window or would it be better to have it on a hitch connection on the welding table?

I need to figure out a layout soon, so that I can put electrical outlets on proper places and have power for all my equipment.

All the ideas and criticism is welcome.

Re: Small workshop layout ideas

Ventilation would be my biggest concern, but I see you have a fume extractor....

Hopefully that will be enough...

I'd also plan on a few conveniently located Fire Extinguishers.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

That small of an area i wouldn’t clutter up walls with too many plug ins. I would have a long cord on the welder and a cord reel for power tools. I would put wheels on everything and roll it around as needed so you can make as much open space as possible. What are your walls covered in now?
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Yes wheels on everything will help. My shop is not too small at 1,200 square feet but I keep trucks in it so everything is on wheels to put away when finished and make room for the trucks. I also use Rubbermaid carts to roll parts from one area to another like from the saw to the drill press to the welding table etc. All the parts from one project can be kept on the cart till finished so they don't get lost, just have to be careful not to make the cart a catch all.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

My insurance man would have a fit if he saw a welder in the basement !

Wheels on everything, stack/combine everything you can, and make things collapsable (tables, supports, etc).

Cover or enclose everything you don't want a TON of dust on, though everything will get dirty as all heck anyway. On that note make sure you're not venting into the main house, and the door to the main house has a decent seal unless you like a workshop type environment at home. You can buy air conditioning filters and cut/affix them to all vents if you still want AC.

Just about every surface you see (doors, walls, etc) can be used to hang/hold something. Use hooks, brackets, peg board, drill holes and use pegboard hooks, etc.

2 or more long/thin tables instead of one that is wider. If you want them beefy and non collapsable Make them so they fit against the wall with all space under them taken up (cabinets, shelves, or tool chests).

You can make a material that rack across the corners near the ceiling to store as long of pieces as possible without impeding work space.

Use lights that diffuse well, low ceilings and bright spotty lights can be just as frustrating as not enough light.

I'm a fan of external wiring and outlets (pvc or metal conduit), and as many outlets as you dare, cords get MESSY in a small space and are a PAIN.

Another place where space is often wasted is headroom between shelves and in deep drawers. For shelves/cabinets Make small cubby hole type setups in various sizes instead just long big shelves and you'll be amazed how much space you find in addition to being organized/clean. No more stacking the circular saw on top of a bag of pvc elbows and a two rolls of ducts tape.

I found some helpful organizing things at the dollar tree, yes the dollar tree.

I also use husky branded organizers that are 10 dollars apiece from home depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10...5587/302939645 They are smaller and lack a waterproofing gasket on the lid (use rtv or even a bead of silicone cault) than the big names. They are made by the same Israeli company that makes milwaukee, dewalt, and ridgid "packout" style systems, which are ALL good so take your pick depending on budget and needs).

Good luck from a fellow small spacer!
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 09-12-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Also, I would use welding blankets or screens to make a "collapsable" cutting and grinding room, think shower curtain setup. I'd use a backing from the ceiling to behind the rod and make sure the screen was hung to the ground to maximize the "seal".

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    That small of an area i wouldn’t clutter up walls with too many plug ins. I would have a long cord on the welder and a cord reel for power tools. I would put wheels on everything and roll it around as needed so you can make as much open space as possible. What are your walls covered in now?
    I would keep a shorter cord on the welder and leave it in one designated spot and have leads for it long enough to reach any where else in the shop. Then you don't need to move the machine around to reach different areas. Also have plug ins about every 6-8' apart, around waist high from the floor. You can use shorter extension cords and just plug'em in where needed.
    If you mount the welding machine up on a shelf off the floor it will leave valuable floor space underneath for roll around tables or cabinets to be placed there. It also will make it easier to access the controls for adjusting it as needed. You won't need to bend or squat to turn the dials.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 09-14-2019 at 09:49 AM.