Problems with my chicago electric plasma cutter Item 62204
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Problems with my chicago electric plasma cutter Item 62204

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I received this plasma about two years ago as a gift. I took it out of the box and put it on my welding cart while I took the time to install 220 outlets in my garage. Life took over an now 2 years later I got 220. I was excited to cut a piece of 16 gauge cold rolled steal for a small house project and to get my feet wet since it has been several years since I have used a plasma. I hooked up air, turned on the 220 breaker, plugged in the machine & turned it on. The digital voltage display came on the air pressure showed the power (green) light came on along with the overload (yellow) light. No air out of the torch. I followed instructions to set air pressure and just set the voltage half way not knowing what I would need. grounded my piece of metal and nothing. messed around with things ground the metal checking the ground still nothing. unplugged the air then plugged it back in and had air. Thought I was in business, but then there was no change in air pressure when I pulled the trigger. So i messed around with it some more trying everything I could think of. When I switched the machine to cut to see what that would do the air stopped? I heard a solenoid activate, but still nothing. it has been two days now and I cant get it to do anything? It was brand new and only sat in my garage on a welding cart not exposed to weather.

I could never get the yellow overload light to go out nore could I get this plasma to do any type of cutting. Of course HF wont do anythign for me so I am going to teh next best option asking for help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Problems with my chicago electric plasma cutter Item 62204

I don't know about HF's but all my TD's take a lot more air pressure or they won't activate.

Have you checked the torch and made sure everything is installed in it in the proper order and that it is tightened?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I don't know about HF's but all my TD's take a lot more air pressure or they won't activate.

Have you checked the torch and made sure everything is installed in it in the proper order and that it is tightened?
    Thank you for info and questions. I have my old compressor maxed on pressure. I set the plasma using the provided air gauge so it was not turned all the way for max pressure. I have taken the entire handle apart and removed the cap, brass sleeve, swirl ring, and removed and replaced the tungsten tip with another one provided with the plasma cutter. I did not go any farther than that didn't want to break anything. The provided tool didn't appear to disassemble any farther.

I guess start with a meter and confirm you have 240v at the receptacle.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I tried the outlet with my 220 compressor and it worked. I do have a tester so I will have to verify the output of the outlet. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post

Always a good idea to start with the basics and also check the ground/neutral to hots and make sure they are equal.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck , there should be laws against country's being allowed to pedal there junk here in the U S A but unfortunately there is not ! sometimes the hardest lessons we teach our self . No ching chong stuff last very long .

Quote Originally Posted by paul. m View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck , there should be laws against country's being allowed to pedal there junk here in the U S A but unfortunately there is not ! sometimes the hardest lessons we teach our self . No ching chong stuff last very long .
    Well it turns out I dont know if the machine is working now or not. Earlier I got someone who mentioned to check the outlet. I came home today and did just that and low and behold the new 220 outlet I put in only has 110 coming out of it. I have a hot Black wire, nothing on white and ground. So it looks like I need to resolve that before I can check the plasma. Thank you all for your help and ideas. I will post once I get the outlet fixed if the plasma works or not. Again thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mattsbidnuz View Post
    Well it turns out I dont know if the machine is working now or not. Earlier I got someone who mentioned to check the outlet. I came home today and did just that and low and behold the new 220 outlet I put in only has 110 coming out of it. I have a hot Black wire, nothing on white and ground. So it looks like I need to resolve that before I can check the plasma. Thank you all for your help and ideas. I will post once I get the outlet fixed if the plasma works or not. Again thank you
    I changed out the breaker and it works. Thank you all very much. We are in business.

Good to hear you're in business now lets see some pics of cut metal!!!

So you're saying the double pole breaker was faulty???

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Good to hear you're in business now lets see some pics of cut metal!!!

So you're saying the double pole breaker was faulty???
    I'm curious too as to how he arrived at that solution.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC