Advice on a weld
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Advice on a weld

I am going to weld a couple brackets on my RV steps to bolster them a bit. I am new to welding and after posting an after of my last project, I got a lot of creative criticism on it. Thanks all. I am learning. Anyway, I am not so much after actual welding advice but safety this time. Since the RV has a propane line running under the cabin via steel pipe, do I have to worry about it at all. I plan to remove the tank and then purge the lines before I start welding and the line would be a good 2-3 feet from my weld area.

Is there anything else I should do before welding to make sure I dont go boom?

Re: Advice on a weld

2 to 3 feet, I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't burn through the propane line with your arc and you'll be fine. Guys weld around pipes with explosive stuff in them all the time in refineries. Put your ground clamp as close to your weld as you can, within reason.

Also I would use a welding blanket to drape on and around the propane line(s) to prevent any sparks. It doesn't hurt to be safe..
    Welds last longer than Love...

I usually just purge them and plug any open ends (don't want any foreign material in there to clog things up) that may be exposed to welding debris (sparks, bbs, metal dust, etc). 2-3 inches shouldn't be a problem IMO

Keep work/ground clamp near where you are welding.

A welding blanket (fiberglass) is good extra safety as eventually propane lines/tanks get a nice coating of petroleum (flammable, possibly explosive - especially when heated) sludge inside, but to be honest I rarely use one welding around (empty! and open) propane lines unless I am so close I'm afraid I might arc up on the pipe itself.

Remember propane is heavier than air so it will pool in low spots.

Congrats on the new tool and hobby, welding opens up a whole new world and it's never been better to be a beginner. Machines are cheap/good and youtube is free school if you can wade through the bad info.

Also, as a weldor you'll now have to stop and inspect EVERY weld you come across (talking trash is now mandatory), and many of those will give you nightmares as you realize much of the world is held together by some shoddy welds!

He said 2 to 3 feet.

Why does he need to purge the propane line, he's not welding the bracket to it, is he? Me personally, I would not do anything at all with the propane, as long as it's not spewing gas in the weld area.

He doesn't, really. But I would do it as it's quick/cheap insurance. I wouldn't purge and fill with inert gas or anything fancy, just clear the propane out to keep my inner hank hill happy. You're right though, it is pretty much overkill in this case.

Kind of reminds me of unplugging advice. Everyone tells everyone else to unplug things when working on them or changing a blade/accessory, but how often do you REALLY do it? Lol I know i'm guilty as sin in that department!

LOL: Thanks guys. I think I have a game plan now. Pretty much what my original intentions were. I just didn't want to be "That guy".

Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    LOL: Thanks guys. I think I have a game plan now. Pretty much what my original intentions were. I just didn't want to be "That guy".
    You don't want to get your 15 minute of fame on the TV ????

Good luck esox07!

More dangerous messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    He said 2 to 3 feet.

Why does he need to purge the propane line, he's not welding the bracket to it, is he? Me personally, I would not do anything at all with the propane, as long as it's not spewing gas in the weld area.
    I'm with you. I wouldn't think twice about welding that far away from a metal line of propane.

Plus, many people "purge" with air...an efficient way to make an explosion if ignited after.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Yeah, 2-3 feet should be more than enough... I mean it's not like you're welding and have open flames near a service like me...

Name:  propane-setup.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  45.2 KB

So...………….that was that ball of fire I saw on the NW horizon some time back Have yer eyebrows grown back yet???????????????? Oh, you pesky PNW guys

Lol, yeh it was kinda hot!!! For a second... Glad I learned the drop and roll routine a long time ago has worked a few times ��