Mig Weirdness
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Mig Weirdness

Mig Weirdness

So I had his really strange thing happen the other day.

Very new Millermatic 211. I was welding some 1/8 angle and the electrode started just sticking to the workpiece. The overtemp light would flash slowly 10 times. It would start again and the electrode would stick as soon as i pulled the trigger. I checked everything (ground, voltage, etc). I eventually took it to the Miller repair place in San Antonio and a month later they told me there was nothing wrong with it. $100.

I had my portaband plugged into an extension cord nearby and it has a foot pedal (swag offroad). I eventually figured out that when I used the welder and the portaband was plugged in (but not running) it would stick the electrode but would not when the portband was not plugged in. It turns out that the extension cord for some reason was causing it. If I plug the portaband in another extension cord in the same outlet, I could weld all day.

Something about the extension cord was causing the issue. It's like one of the 120v legs in my 220 was dropping out. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Re: Mig Weirdness

Yes, get a new extension cord. Depending on your extension cord, perhaps the contacts somewhere have come undone/loose/etc. What extension cord you got? Where'd ya take it? Welding & Torch Repair off of Eckhert Rd?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Yes, I went to the place on Ekhert. Once I replaced the extension cord (the welder is plugged directly into the wall) for the portaband, the problem went away.

Edit - deleted comment.
    Last edited by Denis G; 09-13-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Thermal Arc 300GTSW

put ohm meter on the cords terminals... most likally its got a short in one of its ends.. not a full blown sparks flying short but a resistance short have seen it with some china cords with molded on ends... its really strange but if its showing a slight continuity cut onea the ends off and retest if still; showing continuity cut off other end and it will go away.... the ends I have disected ... for the purposes of science... have had the contacts inside very close together with only a fraction of an inch of low grade rubber separating them....