New to me Eastwood Mig 170 - no power to drive motor / no arc.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New to me Eastwood Mig 170 - no power to drive motor / no arc.

Hello All,

I know this isn't what many would consider a "real" welder, however I've been wanting to learn since I was a teenager, and finally came along a find that wasn't that expensive... however...
    I bought it knowing that the wire feed motor didn't work. Upon further troubleshooting, I've seen that one of the coils on the transformer produce slightly more than 1 volt. I'm not ruling out the board, but seems to be the first issue to resolve. I've called Eastwood, and since I'm not the original owner, I was pretty much told to go pound sand. They also would not provide any schematics, so I'm on my own.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts where to start looking, or if anyone had one of this units, that would be able to tell me what the voltage SHOULD be coming from the transformer.

Thanks!
    Keith

Re: New to me Eastwood Mig 170 - no power to drive motor / no arc.

Are you kidding me, that is PISS POOR customer service/care. Have you tried looking around on the net to try to find schematics and troubleshooting? Kind of surprised someone hasn't chimed in with something.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I found a little info on an Eastwood mig 175, but no 170.https://www.eastwood.com/images/pdf/12012Q_MIG175.pdf

Here is another thread here on the web that may help too. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...stwood-MIG-175 You will need to read the thread to gather the useful information that I'm referring too.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 09-19-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Looks to me like a re-branded Lincoln Mig Pak and the issue sounds a lot like the issue I have with a Mig Pak 15 (175 amp). Stopped mid weld, no arc, no wire feed and no fan. There is an old thread on this forum:
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...r-No-wire-feed
    If your problem is a blown fan motor and it is like the lincoln one good luck. The part is discontinued. I don't know how they can do this as several of their welders us this fan configuration. After hunting the net for 2 days and speaking to many lincoln service people I found the part right in the city I live in, old stock. They wanted $200 for it (Canadian). I figured screw it and bought a new welder. I wondered if the welder was jinxed as I bought it from a young woman whose husband had died without even trying it. I probably only ran about 10 lbs through it. I imagine there is a way to wire in a step down transformer and separate fan into it as one of the posters mentioned but I was done with messing with it

Sorry, I meant Mig 175. Too much research the past few days. It's actually, from what I can tell, the same thing as a LOTOS 175. Seems like they keep a tight wrap on things. The only thing I found that came close to assisting me was a guy on YouTube going through the board, however, that was also in Spanish. For grins, I wired mains directly to the transformed, and I was able to get an arc, so that tells me the transformer / rectifier / capacitor are hopefully good. There do appear to be two SCRs on the board, not sure how prone they are to failing, for got about $5 each, I may give it a try.

For the heck of it, here's two pictures of the board in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

So, I removed the SCR's (attached to the heat sinks) and they both tested bad. I'm investing the $15 to replace them with quality versions. Will update once they show up.

This will probably be my last update on this. After speaking to another CSR, I WAS able to purchase another controller board for his unit. $52.00 shipped. I just had to sign a waiver stating that there are high voltages involved, and if I did anything stupid, they are not responsible.