Oxy Acetylene Standard Operating Procedure
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Oxy Acetylene Standard Operating Procedure

I just got a new torch and I haven't used one in a few years. To set up your pressure, if you have a tip that is operating range up to 6psi Acetylene and 12 Oxygen, you would set the pressure of each regulator the the said amount. Then turn on your torch with Acetylene, small flame, add Oxygen. Then open the body up on the acetylene side to near full and then bring Oxygen up to a clean flame with the right feather.

What I'm trying to figure out, is you set regulator to the most you are going to want, and use the knobs on the body to up that pressure for a good flame.

I know it's not that sensitive assuming you don't go high on the acetylene. Just want to refresh SOP.

If I can tag on to this. I got the Victor Performer 2.0 Edge. It came with some smallish tips. Anyone recommend a good source for tips for the non-pro? Is the concensus still to stick with Victor, or does it make much difference? Mainly use for heating, but may try some brazing.

Re: Oxy Acetylene Standard Operating Procedure

It may just be particular to my setup, but I always set the oxygen and acetylene pressures the same for welding and heating. I only go higher on the oxygen when cutting. Your owner's manual or literature from ESAB/Victor will tell you the proper pressure ranges for each tip size. Recommended pressures change as the tip size increases. I set the pressure on the gauge, then open the valve and readjust the pressure based on the gas flowing. When lighting I open the actylene a 1/4 turn, light it, then open the acetylene until the flame just about stops giving off soot, but without the flame jumping away from the tip. THEN I open the oxygen, just enough to get a neutral flame.
    What I'm trying to figure out, is you set regulator to the most you are going to want, and use the knobs on the body to up that pressure for a good flame.
    I don't do this. Set the regulators according to the pressures called for by the tip...the range will be pretty narrow.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post

I don't do this. Set the regulators according to the pressures called for by the tip...the range will be pretty narrow.
    Sorry, that's what I was trying to say. You said it much better. Thanks

The way I set O&A pressure will work for any brazing tip,but you must work fast or it can create a lot of floating black nasties. With hose purged,set A to 5psi,crack A valve on handle and light torch then open A valve and increase pressure until smoke stop's and flame start's jumping away from tip,close handle valve until flame stop's jumping away from tip,set O to 5psi then open O valve on handle and increase pressure until feather disappear's then close handle valve to tweak flame. This will give you a small reserve of pressures that can be brought into play as you work by opening handle valves.

Buying the correct tips is a challenge. You have welding tips, cutting tips and rosebud ( heating tips). They have Victor style and Harris style. You have to use Victor style, but you can use any brand. You then have to match the correct series. For cutting tips, your torch comes with a 0-3-101 cutting tip. 0 is the size and 3-101 is the series. You have to buy 3-101 series cutting tips. You also have to match your series on the welding tips and heating tips. Then you have to find the right table for your tip type, style, series and size to get the correct acetylene and oxygen pressure. Use the tables. Do not use advice from this forum for the pressure. They may be telling you pressures for some other size, style, series or type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For SOP you should buy a book or a video from Steve Bleile. It is quite complex and can be quite dangerous. For this forum, let me emphasize that you always go for the acetylene first and then the oxygen. Turn the acetylene on and then the oxygen at the tank. Turn the acetylene on, light the torch, turn it up and then add oxygen. To extinguish the flame, turn the acetylene off first and then the oxygen. At the tank, turn the acetylene off first, and then the oxygen. Acetylene always come first. The acetylene at the tank is different from all other tanks that are high pressure like oxygen. The acetylene tank knob should only be opened 1/4 of a turn so you can turn it off quickly in an emergency. Being low pressure, it does not need to be opened up all the way. For oxygen you open the tank all the way up. The 2000 psi in the oxygen tank will damage the seals unless you open it completely to seat the seals.
    Never stand in front of the regulator when making adjustments. Stand to the side. The metal knob under high pressure can be shot out like a bullet.
    Always release pressure in the lines when the torch is not in use.
    And finally, never allow the acetylene to ever go above 15 psi. The acetylene is stabilized by acetone inside the tank so it does not explode under higher pressures. There is no acetone for stabilization when it leaves the tank. It is best to never lay an acetylene tank down. If you do, you have to wait 24 hours before using it.

This is the most I can say for SOP and safety on a forum. I barely scratched the surface. That is why you need a book or video.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeymike View Post
    I just got a new torch and I haven't used one in a few years.

I know it's not that sensitive assuming you don't go high on the acetylene. Just want to refresh SOP.
    This should make for an informative refresher for you to read up on.
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...-cutting-torch

I ordered an variety of assorted tips, both welding and cutting, I may have ordered a rosebud too but don't remember, got em all off of Amazon, they all came from Welding City so I.m sure they're Chinesium, fit & function is perfect as long as the torch is truly Victor or a compatible, some of the torch sets are "Victor style" but the threads don't fit right.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

If you are just going to do some cutting propane is safer and cheaper. You just need propane tips for the torch.

I ordered a couple of brazing/welding tips from Cyber Weld. I liked the service and the order was exactly what I expected.

As far as SOP, I suggest you read the manual that came with your Victor kit. It has all the pressure tables, etc., you need as well as proper procedures for lighting the torch, etc. Like you, it had been a long time for me since I had used an OA setup. I had to do a lot of refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    For SOP you should buy a book or a video from Steve Bleile. It is quite complex and can be quite dangerous. For this forum, let me emphasize that you always go for the acetylene first and then the oxygen. Turn the acetylene on and then the oxygen at the tank. Turn the acetylene on, light the torch, turn it up and then add oxygen. To extinguish the flame, turn the acetylene off first and then the oxygen. At the tank, turn the acetylene off first, and then the oxygen. Acetylene always come first. The acetylene at the tank is different from all other tanks that are high pressure like oxygen. The acetylene tank knob should only be opened 1/4 of a turn so you can turn it off quickly in an emergency. Being low pressure, it does not need to be opened up all the way. For oxygen you open the tank all the way up. The 2000 psi in the oxygen tank will damage the seals unless you open it completely to seat the seals.
    Never stand in front of the regulator when making adjustments. Stand to the side. The metal knob under high pressure can be shot out like a bullet.
    Always release pressure in the lines when the torch is not in use.
    And finally, never allow the acetylene to ever go above 15 psi. The acetylene is stabilized by acetone inside the tank so it does not explode under higher pressures. There is no acetone for stabilization when it leaves the tank. It is best to never lay an acetylene tank down. If you do, you have to wait 24 hours before using it.

This is the most I can say for SOP and safety on a forum. I barely scratched the surface. That is why you need a book or video.

Usually you want to reverse the lighting procedure. There are just as many that say chop the fuel first though.
    If you light it with just acetylene then you would shut down 02 first so it goes out while burning just acetylene.

That pop you get when closing fuel first is forcing carbon soot back in the torch. Bad for keeping passages and the flashback protectors clean and free flowing. No other benefit to closing gas first unless you make a bunch of soot because you don't got the hang of preventing that.

Be sure to stand the acetylene cylinder back upright before waiting the 24 hours. Lol. Small details.

>>>>>>>>>>
    From Victor:

Turning on the Cylinders
    1. Be certain that the tension on the regulator adjusting screws has been released. Stand so
    that the cylinder valve is between you and the regulator.
    WARNING
    Never stand, nor have anyone stand in front or behind a regulator when opening the
    cylinder valve. Always stand so that the cylinder is between you and the regulator (see
    Figure 10, page 29).
    2. Slowly and carefully open the oxygen cylinder valve until the maximum pressure registers
    on the high pressure gauge. Now, open the oxygen cylinder valve completely to seal the
    valve packing.
    3. Slowly open the fuel gas cylinder valve in the same manner.
    CAUTION
    Open the acetylene cylinder valve approximately ¾ of a turn and no more

Shut off the oxygen preheat valve first if using cutting torch. Then, close the torch fuel valve. Be careful not to shut
    off the fuel valve first,
    this may create a "pop" type sound. When the "pop" happens it
    throws carbon soot back into the torch and may in time partially clog gas passages and the
    flashback arrestors.
    2. Close both cylinder control valves on the gas source supply.
    3. Open the oxygen valve and depress the cutting oxygen lever. Release the pressure from the
    system and then close the oxygen preheat and the torch handle oxygen control valve.
    4. Turn the adjusting screw on the oxygen regulator counterclockwise to release all spring
    pressure.
    5. Open the torch fuel control valve and release the pressure from the system. Close the fuel
    valve.
    6. Turn the adjusting screw on the fuel gas regulator counterclockwise to release all spring
    pressure.
    7. Check the inlet gauges after a few minutes to ensure the cylinder valves are turned off
    completely and no pressure remains in the system.
    8. Remove slag left on the cut edge with a chipping hammer or brush. Never remove slag from
    the cut edge with the torch head or cutting tip.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-21-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Read the manufacturers manual, to be sure. Victor recommends shutting off the oxygen, first. Bleile is an expert, but I’d still go with the manufacturers recommendations.

Much appreciated guys.

When setting the regulator pressures I usually crack the torch valves slightly. If you don't when you go to light up once you open the valves you will see the pressures fall well below where they were set to and sometimes it will drop way too low.

acetylene 10 psi oxygen 40 psi will cover 90 % of all heating and cutting most people will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Podman View Post
    If you are just going to do some cutting propane is safer and cheaper. You just need propane tips for the torch.
    Propane requires different hoses. Acetylene hose is NOT rated for propane.
    "T" grade hoses are recommended. There is a dedicated regulator also.
    https://www.weldersupply.com/P/268/S...nePropyleneReg

Quote Originally Posted by paul. m View Post
    acetylene 10 psi oxygen 40 psi will cover 90 % of all heating and cutting most people will do.
    Those are cutting torch pressures like you said but not for welding/brazing though.

Just didn't want people thinking those pressures are for regular tips.

You don't set the Oxygen way high on welding/brazing tips. The two pressures should be almost the same.
    Depends on the tip. You run pressures that high on small tips it makes the adjustment knobs way to sensitive. You don't need more Oxygen pressure than the Acetylene for a most welding/brazing tips. Makes it hard as hell to get the flame perfect when you are pushing pressure like that.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-24-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Propane requires different hoses. Acetylene hose is NOT rated for propane.
    "T" grade hoses are recommended. There is a dedicated regulator also.
    https://www.weldersupply.com/P/268/S...nePropyleneReg
    While modern acetylene R hose can last a long time and is commonly used for LP (though it's not to spec, but those specs were chosen a very long time ago when available materials weren't what they are today), T hose is better, longer lasting material so switching is good. I buy T hose for best longevity. Buy once, cry once.

LP regulator max pressures are higher than acetylene regulator max pressures but modern quality regulators (email company tech support to confirm YOURS are compatible) have soft parts compatible with both fuels making them safe to use within their pressure limits. I rebuild my personal regulators per factory literature and the Victor 450 series (for example) use the same part number soft parts (seals, seat etc) for both fuels.

While acetylene regulator output pressure ranges are much lower than LP (due to different main spring and different output pressure gauge) they flow enough for most LP cutting.