Spoolgun constantly messes up tips
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spoolgun constantly messes up tips

Welding .100-1/4 aluminum and it loves to get the tips clogged up. Then most times gets birds 🦅 nest after the roller.ive been starting with only about 1/2 inch or less stick out and that seems to help but it does it on the start a lot and sometimes will stop feeding wire in the middle of a run and clog the tip. Sometimes it weld really cold and struggles to get wire out seems like then clog the tip. Seems like a spool gun problem to me and the other worker. Also the puddle will go really quite like it’s not feeding much wire but buring hot, it makes a hissing sound when it does this. Takes up a lot of time that’s for sure. It’s a 30a I believe. Thanks

Re: Spoolgun constantly messes up tips

Speed up the wire feed speed so it doesn't have time to burn back to the tip.

Use the right tips. They are labeled for aluminum and oversized. Feed roll and spool tension are a little finicky.
    My name's not Jim....

It should yield a hissing sound. Aluminum MIG is spray transfer when done right.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Speed up the wire feed speed so it doesn't have time to burn back to the tip.
    Or if the WFS is correct, then the CTWD might not be.

What is the CTWD being utilized?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Also the puddle will go really quite like it’s not feeding much wire but buring hot, it makes a hissing sound when it does this.
    For spray arc transfer, it's supposed to hiss all the time. Short circuit is incorrect.

Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I do turn the Miller 250, might be a 252 to between 24 and 26 volts when welding the thicker stuff like 1/4. Even higher then 26. so maybe that’s when it hisses but I think I’ve heard it making the more aggressive noise on the same setting and it looks and feels like it’s going in better and more controllable. We are running .035 .045 tips that are much more bulky then the normal steel torch tips. I’ll try and turn the wire speed up. I run it between 5 and 7. When it turn the wire speed up it runs much hotter

Without a spool gun I soon worked out a strait lead ( that's not you problem) one size up in tips and fast wire feed.
    There are a lot more knolagable people people here than me though.

Tilt the gun so the wire hits the work on an angle when your starting out and leave the feed rollers loose enough so the wire will slip rather than birds nest, and always make sure you have a good ground connection. Keep a log of your settings for different thickness of material when you get it running good, this is really helpful if you're not running a spool gun all the time.

CR

Moto, when I bought my used 30a, it didn't have a liner in it (although it took me a while to figure that out). It would have a load of birdnesting problems. You might want to check that the gun liner is there and intact.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Moto, when I bought my used 30a, it didn't have a liner in it (although it took me a while to figure that out). It would have a load of birdnesting problems. You might want to check that the gun liner is there and intact.
    Or if the liner is there that is has not melted and deformed from welding beyond it’s rated duty cycle.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

You really don't need much drive roll pressure at all. And the spool tension should be as loose as humanly possible, if the spool unwind itself barely tighten it to stop that, but no more. For .100 try 18-20v and 6 on dial. If u burn thru move faster or drop to 16v and 5. U can run super high feed rates with aluminium. For 1/4 try 24-26v and 8 on feed knob. What's probably happening to you is you're cranking down on the drive roll, not necessary. That and burning back from too low of ipm. Also make sure that after u birdnest the wire will feed correctly after rewinding the spool. Sometimes it ties itself in knots and could be causing u issues as well. Good luck bro!

I do crank down on the tension knob so that’s probably part of the problem. I’ll try higher wire speed and less amps tomorrow. I’ve never had it lower then couple lines under 21 volts. Which is kinda far from 19 volts.

"Higher wire feed speed and less amps" is not possible.

Wire feed speed IS your amperage.

Then run enough volts to hit spray arc continuously.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I don't weld aluminum MIG, but I do a whole lot of steel with MIG. I set the roll tension so I can pinch the wire between my thumb and fore finger and make it stop. You don't want it to keep feeding when there's any kind of obstruction, it needs to slip to keep from birdnesting..

We had a lot of trouble with low hydrogen wire getting bound up in the tip. My opinion was it got too hot and swelled up. You could barely make one pass around an 8 inch before it started binding up.We tried using tips designed for bigger wire, that helped some. but then the wire wants to wander around while you're welding. I was glad when the job that required that wire was done.

You might want to get a new liner. Does the wire pull out of the gun freely after it birdnests, or do you have to really pull it?
    Last edited by TimmyTIG; 09-22-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Is it or is it not a 30A? If it is, make sure you've got the right drive roll. Normally they came with a two groove roll that gets flipped for large or small dia. wire. Birdnesting is always caused by insufficient canister tension. The 30A canister has a nylon wire guide that gets grooved over time and can raise hell with the wire popping in and out of that groove as it unspools. I've run hundreds of pounds of wire through a 30A spoolgun on different power supplies. 3/64" wire, with a .047/61" tip is the ticket and is much less hassle than .035 and .030. .030 which is hilariously entertaining to run, if you are a masochist. Make sure you have the right liner. To be contrary, forget all this 'spray' nonsense as you will find that truely spraying AL without a power supply that has an actual burnback function will result in occasional totally fried tips, like, maybe three times a day or more. If you are unfortunate enough to have the latest 30A with the 'fastip', they are usually toast if you melt the wire to the tip because the wire snaps off inside the tip when you unscrew it. Horrible design. The older collet style, not so much.

Your symptoms are a little puzzling and I have no "Ah ha!" for you. I'll add that the 30A's are known to have the power cable come loose at the gun, which can cause intermittent arc problems.

no updates?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    no updates?
    He hit it with a home made hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

only thing I can add, is that you're running quite a lot of volts for what sounds like not a very high wire speed on not a very heavy job. Are you sure you need 26V? 24V should be enough to spray with on 1/4"... too many volts are unnecessary and gives you a longer arc, putting more heat everywhere (inc back to the tip).

Maybe not a problem, but then we don't know what wirespeed you're using. It still might be liner/feed related tho

What filler? If 4043 switch to 5356 and see if it feeds better.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

I tried upping the wire speed and it just jumps around and makes it worse. Softer tension makes it birds nest much less but it’s burnig the tips easy still. Running about 19 1/4 volts and 5 on the wire and it runs good on .100 butt joint. I tried 5.5 on the wire today and just jumped around

4043.Name:  19F64590-0193-4C95-9691-2DA4D974ADD4.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  119.8 KB. I’ve done prettier work. Had a gap and was burning through
    Last edited by motolife313; 09-26-2019 at 01:13 PM.

It's quite sensitive on the ipm. The difference between 5 and 5.5 is large in my experience. Just barely move the knob a little at a time.

A 252 Miller and a 30A can do much better than that. As suggested, drop the obvious 4043 and use 5356 as it will run better in a spoolgun, especially with smaller diameter wire. Also, I'd make the corner piece out of thicker stock, like 3/16", to work against, heat-wise. One of the big probs with a spoolgun and 4043 in small diameter is that wire flips around the clock off the contact tip, and can come out like grandpa's big toenail - curved. A tight tip helps obviate this but also 'helps' burnback.

I’ll suggest 5356. It ran pretty good today, it’s a 250 machine