New to flux welds
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New to flux welds

Hope everyone has had a good day. Im new here welded the first half of my adult life for a living. I was visiting my son a few years ago in NC he is in the Army. we were at Northern Tool and they had this Klutch 220 on the open box rack. I ran some power to my building a couple of weeks ago, and was playing around earlier. I'm new to flux core but the welder runs really smooth. Need to practice more this is 14Ga 035 Wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: New to flux welds

Looking good! What are you putting together?

Mikel

Those were just scraps figuring out some settings. But I'm about to start on a grader blade for my garden tractor. With a electric hydraulic cylinder. But I will tell ya this flux core confuses that crap out of me! on settings even the makers of the different wires. I don't think any of the makers are consistent. Take Lincoln for instance, Name:  innershieldnr-211-mp_top.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  124.0 KB notice 0.35 wire 200 IPM 18-19 volts, 155 amps, then look at 275IPM 20-21 gives the same amps??? not possible.
    Now go to Millers calculator, select 3/16 it gives 205-215 IMP, 190-220 amps, 15-16 volts? for 1/4 it gives 220-230 IPM 170-190 amps 15-16 volts???? That kind of stuff makes my head hurt LOL. Any real world ball bark help on settings with different metal thickness would be greatly appreciated! I am getting a bottle of co2 but i would really like to understand flux core-s better.

Why are you focusing on amps on a CV process?

To me (but I am nobody) it looks good, but maybe a little cold...
    Welds last longer than Love...

Walk straight and slow.If it doesn,t burn through----too cold

Quote Originally Posted by jdhacker View Post
    Those were just scraps figuring out some settings. But I'm about to start on a grader blade for my garden tractor. With a electric hydraulic cylinder. But I will tell ya this flux core confuses that crap out of me! on settings even the makers of the different wires. I don't think any of the makers are consistent. Take Lincoln for instance, Name:  innershieldnr-211-mp_top.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  124.0 KB notice 0.35 wire 200 IPM 18-19 volts, 155 amps, then look at 275IPM 20-21 gives the same amps??? not possible.
    Now go to Millers calculator, select 3/16 it gives 205-215 IMP, 190-220 amps, 15-16 volts? for 1/4 it gives 220-230 IPM 170-190 amps 15-16 volts???? That kind of stuff makes my head hurt LOL. Any real world ball bark help on settings with different metal thickness would be greatly appreciated! I am getting a bottle of co2 but i would really like to understand flux core-s better.
    I, wouldn't obsess over their numbers, that's mostly a guide to start. Machines are not all the same. Play with it awhile to get the result you want. I can run 1/16" HB 21 on my 12VS feeder on the TB 325 and get an easy 270 AMPs on the machine meter. I pay more attention to the weld puddle than I do to IPM.

Modern flux core self shielded has a pretty broad range and big "sweet spot". Not so far off from solid in that regard anymore, though every brand runs a little differently (every flux is probably proprietary though 99% of the ingredients are the same).

It's common to see two different weldors take tests on the exact same machine/roll of wire one after another and use fairly different settings, with both making passing welds in the end.

By the time you've got a good amount of practice under your belt half the "tuning" of the machine is done to suit your technique, and often something "feels" or sounds off in such a way you know exactly how to tune it almost instinctively.

Use the welder chart as your first guide over the wire manufacturer recommendations themselves. Seems tuning the weld has more to do with the arc characteristics/short circuit properties themselves, which can change welder to welder settings to settings.

Don't get hung up if you end up with numbers that seem significantly off from the manufacturer recommended settings or door chart. There can be so many variables from the machine itself (knob/display accuracy, internal variances etc) to the material/environment/position that every pro just uses them to get "in range" but every pro has had an experience where the door chart/wire recommendations were just not working.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Use the welder chart as your first guide over the wire manufacturer recommendations themselves. Seems tuning the weld has more to do with the arc characteristics/short circuit properties themselves, which can change welder to welder settings to settings.
    I agree with most of what you said, but not that. Different wires prefer hugely different voltage ranges per WFS, and ESAB wires run totally different to Lincoln wires, etc. I'd start with the wire manufacturer's reccomendations, and finetune to suit.