Concerned About Miller Quality - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Concerned About Miller Quality

My LWS has been singing the Miller blues for several years. They tell me that the ratio of Miller repairs to Lincoln repairs is around 10: 1 and not in Miller’s favor
    That's who to ask before buying a new machine, and I'd ask more than one along with asking in this forum. Much love for my ancient Miller transformer machines but the men who made them are retired or dead so their quality is utterly irrelevant to new equipment.

I have no concept of brand loyalty because corporations have no concept of customer loyalty, just marketing. Faceless suits in corporations who don't care if I die in a fire want to sell me objects. I buy by MODEL, not make, and have a wide variety of gear. My gear exists to serve me. Sell me feces and I'm gone.

Sample another brand. You might like it.

Don't like it? Sell it then buy something different. Never marry what you can pimp.

Concerned About Miller Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Is it not you who felt those who don't own a machine have no right to criticize it? I remember a thread you started making comments from non users unwelcome. Not my rule, yours.
    Very much agree with Farmall's comments above.

A: look at my signature line of which machines I own.
    B:. My comment was not specific to a machine or even Miller.
    C:. Comments based on personal experience and more so, on discussions with Terry who talked directly with Miller corporate about their reliability issues with their machines and his experience with their machines.
    D: I have had 2 350P machines with issues. 1 had to be repaired by the shop. Other one I diagnosed and fixed myself.

And no it's not exclusive to Miller. It seems in general that caring about quality and reliability of the products a company makes have suffered in recent years. The disposable economy.
    . Would be interested in the repair rates of the European brands like Kemppi, Fronius etc. They don't seem to have such a disposable economy. And still care about product relatability.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 10-09-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Kemppi inverters break down, just like any other colour

Our TIG sets gave us around 10 years service before they started breaking, though. Of the 6 we bought, only one is left, about 12 years old. The spares backup from Kemppi UK isn't great and parts are too expensive to make these units worth repairing... despite the fact that they are premium units that cost double that of an equivelent ESAB or Lincoln. I've had two different LWS saying they feel like Kemppi are slowly withdrawing from the UK market.

That's TIG inverters for you, though. The equivalent older generation of Lincoln breaks down too, and spares are non-existent. We bought two new generation Lincolns to replace two kemppis, and i think we've had them both for 3-4 yars so far with no issues... fingers crossed.

The Kemppi MIG transformers are absolutely awesome. Best transformer MIGs I've ever used, and about 15 years old with no issues at all. They should realistically last forever. But, you could say the same thing about millermatics. Or Lincoln powermigs. Or any of the decent sized premium transformer migs.

When we decide the time is right, I'll be adding a Lorch inverter MIG to the shop, because they aren't badly priced, have one of the best reputations around, and I have a LWS dealing with them whose service is fantastic. No idea how long it will last, but going off their long term reputation, they should last longer than the Kemppis.
    Last edited by Munkul; 10-09-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

[LWS] That's who to ask before buying a new machine, and I'd ask more than one along with asking in this forum.

I have no concept of brand loyalty because corporations have no concept of customer loyalty, just marketing.

I buy by MODEL, not make, and have a wide variety of gear. My gear exists to serve me. Sell me feces and I'm gone.

Sample another brand. You might like it.
    I like all of these statements!

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Kemppi inverters break down, just like any other colour

Our TIG sets gave us around 10 years service before they started breaking, though. Of the 6 we bought, only one is left, about 12 years old. The spares backup from Kemppi UK isn't great and parts are too expensive to make these units worth repairing... despite the fact that they are premium units that cost double that of an equivelent ESAB or Lincoln. I've had two different LWS saying they feel like Kemppi are slowly withdrawing from the UK market.

That's TIG inverters for you, though. The equivalent older generation of Lincoln breaks down too, and spares are non-existent. We bought two new generation Lincolns to replace two kemppis, and i think we've had them both for 3-4 yars so far with no issues... fingers crossed.

The Kemppi MIG transformers are absolutely awesome. Best transformer MIGs I've ever used, and about 15 years old with no issues at all. They should realistically last forever. But, you could say the same thing about millermatics. Or Lincoln powermigs. Or any of the decent sized premium transformer migs.

When we decide the time is right, I'll be adding a Lorch inverter MIG to the shop, because they aren't badly priced, have one of the best reputations around, and I have a LWS dealing with them whose service is fantastic. No idea how long it will last, but going off their long term reputation, they should last longer than the Kemppis.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with those machines. The Millers have probably been the least reliable machines I've owned as a long time hobbyist, but My 350p does everything in one machine and takes up less garage space than having more than 1 machine. It has a gas mixer, spoolgun and push pull gun, 400 amps and pulse so I can do aluminum and steel without needing to change anything.
    If the Cobra MIG doesn't sell right away I'm looking forward to playing with that some more. Need to try it on steel and see how it does. I just did a small project this week with the Lincoln Wirematic 250 and it was stupid simple to setup and get dialed in. Beautiful arc and welds. And it will probably last for many more years. I prefer the welding characteristics of the Lincoln migs over the Millers in general.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

I believe the 350p has a similar inverter-based power source as an XMT?
    I love the arc on my XMT, it's my personal machine, 23 years old, and still welds as sweetly on stick and MIG as the day it was manufactured, and i have no plans to sell or change it for my part time use.
    If I had a 350P with all the accessories like yourself, I'd probably be keeping it forever. If you haven't tried it on steel yet, then you really should!

regarding setup of machine, I reckon for straight CV on any inverter or stepless powersource, it's pretty simple if you have a knob for volts and a knob for wire speed, and a readout or gauge for both. But the smoother the powersource, the easier to dial in short-arc without spatter. It's only when you get into synergic modes and pulse MIG that the differences between models really show up, but that's my opinion.