Versatility
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Versatility

Versatility

We got to give the little crane a bit of a workout today. That sucker ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  loader crane75.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  229.7 KB Enough reach to get in behind the trailer, and sling it out long ways. Luv'n it.

Name:  loader crane76.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  209.0 KB

Name:  loader crane77.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  208.8 KB

Makes those hard to handle items a breeze. Just hope the morons on the other end can get it off without damaging it.

Re: Versatility

I like the crane and the case agco Massey Chalmers David brown tractor

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Makes it look unloved with no hood.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Another guy called it rat rod farm equipment. Fits. Run what ya got and get the job done.

Weight reduction.....

That grass! What do you farm, chiggers?
    -Jon
    Everlast 210 EXT
    Tweco Fabricator 211i

Quote Originally Posted by jfutey View Post
    That grass! What do you farm, chiggers?
    It's been a rough year. We've had constant rain the whole Summer. Can't begin to keep up with the yard. I'm renting a DR Mower in a few weeks to take care of it before Winter. That's a lot of fuel out there, should we get caught up in a wildfire. Once it dies, and dries out, it's a scary proposition.

We had a dairy farmer, he was among the best. His equipment was not new but in good repair. His wife sometimes griped that she was doing evening milking "while he rebuilt some old tractor" His cattle were healthy, his fields were admired. He produced top quality milk, from three barns he had taken over when other dairy farmers shut down their operations.

His wife got sick, took a few years to die. He concentrated on her needs. When she died, he tried to pick up the pieces. It was too late. His equipment had been ruined by hired bottom feeders. His cattle were in poor health. Milk volume, and quality were dismal. He struggled on another ten years, but never caught up. The first sign of trouble was the missing hoods on all the tractors. Later, there were so many other signs of trouble.

My tractors are mostly not showpieces, but they all have hoods.

I don't mean to criticize, just explain why I cringe seeing a nice tractor with no hood.
    Last edited by Willie B; 10-07-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

samm i know the feeling when you made a tool that saves you pain and time good job.

willieb i see what you mean, i look at roofs on houses and by the condition of shingles i can feel the prosperity...or not, but you have to be an old grumpy guy to see it that way

Oh... come on now.... Sammy just like his tractors topless

She's the poor stepchild. Never wanted her, had to have her. The original Allis dropped a motor, and had to get the ugly duckling in to take over the load. She's never been treated right.

Radiator has a bad leak, and the hood's been off since I figured I oughta get around to fixing it. Been over a year, and I still haven't gotten around to soldering the radiator.

Have a line on a motor somewhere up in Ohio. Guess the ugly duckling is gonna have to run till then.

Need to pop the top on the other Allis. I really don't know what caused it to seize up. Might just be a bad liner. I'm thinking it overheated.

Real world...………….it probably ate the crankshaft. Gotta hope for good things though...……………...

This old gal came in a coupla years back.

Name:  stepchild.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  226.0 KB

She was a fast buy, to take the place of her favorite sister.

Name:  drylot1.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  140.0 KB

Is what it is gents...…….walk a mile in my shoes.

So, now...……..I gots 2 Allis's, and have had for a few years.

So, this is why the it ain't got no hood. It ain't loved, and I'm sorry for that...…...cause it works just as hard.

Lemme put it this way.

I like machinery more than I like people. And I'm real unhappy with the way my stuff is lookin' right now.

I've looked and looked for a cheap used tractor out here and everybody thinks they're gold, 12 or 15 grand for a pile of crap, there a fellow up the road has an old dozer, d4 or equivalent that I'm not sure but may not even have hydraulics on it , he wants 15 k for it, & it's crap, another buddy had a little Fordson bucket & backhoe I asked about, he said it needs a carb cuz the throttle shaft was worn out & leaking air, he said he hadn't thought about selling it but it was gone in less than a week. I had buddies in New Mexico that picked up tractors for about a grand, they needed some work but I wouldn't mind that too much.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

My favorite tractor was built in 1961. I bought it in 1987. I paid $1200.It ran sweet.........for five hours. I spent $2200 on repairs. Yes I still have it, use it. It did NOT cost $1000.

Another I had admired since it was new in 1985, the last year they built IH tractors. A gentleman farmer I had worked for died. When they sold his huge estate, the new owner bought this tractor new. 31 years later it had 1000 hours, and the cutting edge on the loader bucket was still painted. It had been for sale all one summer. I bought it for $5000. On the trailer, on the way home, my son was on the phone with the local omni knowing tractor guy. "That tractor was in a pond a month ago!" he said.

I got home. All the dipsticks showed dry oil. We started pulling drain plugs. All but the engine were milky. They did indeed contain water.

I called the bank, stopped payment on the check. Then I called the seller, told her what I now knew. She called me a liar. I gave the choice, I would return the tractor, or renegotiate the price. She hung up. 90 minutes later, I presume she tried to cash the check, she called back. We renegotiated.

Ultimately, water damage repair cost $3900.

I do have a Mitsubishi compact diesel 4x4 I paid $400 with 400 hours. I have put a new seat on it, new battery.
    I hope I never need parts, might be hard to find.

Old tractors are like women the pretty ones seem to have to much baggage or a so called story but the ugly ones will be loyal till they die up here in PA there's a load of old beat to hell Massey's that will start with a screwdriver and pull a full day's work with no hood bald tires and a leak every inch

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have a little 14 horse Bolens yard tractor that I paid $125 for with a disc & tiller, no driveshaft for the tiller & very hard to find, no hydraulics, I i built a manual blade & ended up using a winch to lift & lower it but it doesn't do much more than scrape, I need a small loader with backhoe.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN