whats the best way to hook up a Lincoln TM-500 stick welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

whats the best way to hook up a Lincoln TM-500 stick welder?

what can i use to plug it in that is heavy enough and still easy to unplug so it wont get burned by lightning?
    its single phase 220 volts and draws 146 amps if its turned all the way up.Name:  TM500.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  80.3 KB

Re: whats the best way to hook up a Lincoln TM-500 stick welder?

It doesn't need to be unplugged. Code requires all ungrounded conductors to be disconnected in switch in welding machine, it's basically a disconnect in the machine

Meltric makes the plug and receptacle you want. You will not like the price.

My 300 looks exactly like yours is hard wired. I turn off the breaker.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    It doesn't need to be unplugged. Code requires all ungrounded conductors to be disconnected in switch in welding machine, it's basically a disconnect in the machine
    I think he wants to be able to disconnect during lightning storms.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

If you don't want to shut off breaker wire add a disconnect at machine and hard wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I think he wants to be able to disconnect during lightning storms.
    Yes, I understand this but it's shut off anyway. I leave the breaker to mine off as I never use it anyway but the other 5 machines are left plugged in. The only reason to add extra equipment is if the panel is out of sight.
    Somehow the risk from lightning has gotten skewed, about zilch to none in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Yes, I understand this but it's shut off anyway. I leave the breaker to mine off as I never use it anyway but the other 5 machines are left plugged in. The only reason to add extra equipment is if the panel is out of sight.
    Somehow the risk from lightning has gotten skewed, about zilch to none in reality.
    I'm kind of the guy who gets a call after lightning. 50 years in, I've made a few observations:
    Lamen blame lightning for all manner of damage. Often shoddy workmanship is the more likely cause, but you don't buy insurance
    for shoddy work.

Lightning damage isn't really common.

It is more common if you are in a remote location, or at the end of a power line. There it is sometimes catastrophic, as in house
    burned to the ground.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Number one is strikes terminating on well pump motors. I did some forensic on a neighbors where the insurance adjuster simply jumed to the conclusion it hit the well. It really hit an ungrounded outbuilding, went thru the house, out to the service where ground rods broken and finally downhole on equipmentrance ground. Ideally the service should have been grounded to the steel well casing.

Lightning rarely hits a building. Yes it happens, but damage is more common where it strikes something like a power line, and finds earth through a building.

Code lists numerous ways to ground a service. Some are mandatory, but rarely grounded. One I believe would help dramatically reduce lightning damage is grounding concrete. Concrete crews refuse to do it. Countless times I have made preparations to ground concrete footings, only to find them tossed aside by the pour crew.

If, as one book on the subject states "typical lightning strikes are 5,000,000 Volts, current is not uncommon at 5,000,000 Amps." That calculates to more watts than my calculator understands! If that power seeks ground through pump wire insulated for 240 volts, there is going to be thousands of volts induced in the pump conductors.

If you hope to prevent lightning damage, provide grounding as required by NEC. It is not a 100% preventive measure, but it is 99%.
    To shave that 1% risk more, add a $16 carbon ball lightning arrestor to your service. An electronic surge arrestor adds more protection. I had a customer 2.5 miles of power line from his nearest neighbor. He lost two houses. He said lightning. I can't confirm the fires, but I witnessed electrical damage a couple times. After a big storm he called to say the surge arrester failed to do its job. I found the surge arrester exploded with a 10" concussion hole through the 3/4" plywood behind it. Electrical damage was limited to 1 GFCI outlet.

yes i want to unplug it during lightning storms because i have had many things get burned by lightning. one storm cooked my direct tv receiver, microwave 2 light switches and the transformer on the pole. the receiver was plugged into a surge protector. so much for that. now i make sure most things are unplugged especially welders.

the picture is not my machine, i didnt have a good picture of mine but mine is the same thing, its an AC only model and i got in on ebay for $100.

my neighbors tool shed was burned down by lightning and a friends house was burned by lightning too but not burnt to the ground, his house was damaged enough that it was torn down later. i am in upstate NY and you would not think its a hot spot for lightning but things have been hit here before.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post

how much would it cost for a plug and receptacle?

I can't find the invoice any more. I have never bought single phase components. A group of 2 three phase 100 amp 240 Volt receptacles, and 4 plug caps was over $2000 last time I bought them. A non fused knife switch would still cost hundreds, but still less expensive.
    Last edited by Willie B; 10-09-2019 at 07:37 AM.

go to the meltirc web site. you can ask for the contact information of the distributor near you.
    Or go to the nearest electrical house and see what they can do for you. in plugs or disconnect switches.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    go to the meltirc web site. you can ask for the contact information of the distributor near you.
    Or go to the nearest electrical house and see what they can do for you. in plugs or disconnect switches.
    I'm an electrician. If I responded in full to every request for free pricing, I would fill 50 hours per week and would (perhaps) see that turn into 5 hours work.

Free pricing in my world begins with free design service. Then the customer shops for a better price. If I design it taking a few hours, then calculate cost, I am at a disadvantage from my competitors, they didn't spend time designing.
    I'm careful about free design/estimating service. It only turns into a job 10% of the time.

If you know the specification of the item you ask for pricing, and intend to buy, you have the right to ask for pricing. If your welder cost $100, you have no intention of buying a $1000 plug/ receptacle for it, is it fair to ask for free design/pricing?

We know you won't buy Meltric plugs costing 10 times the cost of your welder. If in the 1 in ten thousand risk your welder is damaged by lightning, you will be out $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I was told using the breaker as a disconnect/on-off switch is bad for the breaker. It's not meant to switch that often, again, correct me if that isn't true.

It's not being disconnected under load. This is a good case of a little "research" getting in the way of doing something practical that helps. I know it's a bit to grasp but a satalite tv dish and a welder of this vintage are not exactly the same thing. If we are contioniously hit by lightning does it make sense to put the 1000$ plug on the 100$ machine or take a look at the grounding in the place that contributes to the problem. Might even be different if it was 1 in a thousand but it's not.
    At the risk of being a repeater,, the electric isn't grounded to the machine, the machine is grounded to the electric,, and,,,, it has a heavy 2 pole disconnect switch.

My neighbors house burned down so I will unplug my welder,, not sure I follow this logic. The ungrounded satalite dish invites a strike in to my house so I unplug the welders. Surge protector does not work not properly grounded,, what's the common thread here,, what's the lesson,,, unplug the welder??
    Old modems hooked to grounded computers used to be a problem especially when the companies changed help and didn't ground phone supression,, usually followed by,,, I just don't understand,, but I just don't understand why,, so instead of following instruction it's done like they think they understand
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-10-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I was told using the breaker as a disconnect/on-off switch is bad for the breaker. It's not meant to switch that often, again, correct me if that isn't true.
    I don't use every welder every day. I've no idea how many cycles a breaker is good for. Switching under load is indeed bad for the breaker. Switching under no load, wear is limited to the pivot mechanisms in the breaker. I'd say the cycles needed to see damage would be somewhere in the thousands. I've welded about 50 years now, I can't remember ever replacing a breaker worn out from too much switching. I have spread that 50 years out over three different buildings.

I have seen breakers used to switch lights for decades.

thanks for all the replies. i will just keep the regular crows foot plug i have on it now so it can be unplugged when not in use. $2000 for a plug is too much for a welder. the 50 amp plug is good enough because i dont turn up all the way and i barely even use it.