Which welder is right for my current needs. - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Which welder is right for my current needs.

I got to agree with a couple others here,, if a guy can't get it with a DC buzzer a better machine won't help. Main reason for a better unit is really a bigger unit. If a guy is running off a box of 5/32 lo hi in a day it's not gonna get it.
    My bud says now they using 150 Maxstars in the nuke. To be honest this is the machine I might tend to get. Practice gets old, once he has a job that will take care of itself but for some work they are hard to beat and 120v is super great, one of the best things they ever invent for field work. I got 4 engine drives that are very lonely and jealous of it.
    How much power a Dial makes, 265 or 310 pretty much irrelevent and not even sure where the horsepower matters if not for air arc or wire. Only once or twice in heavy Ironwork ever ran rods bigger than 5/32 lo hy, a few 3/16 red ones but pretty rare and not needed in home test brush up. Not like he needs to drag his own machine to that job.
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-14-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Which welder is right for my current needs.

I’ve ran the 150 max star in the past on construction jobs. On a 15 amp 120v circuit, they were useless. The machine only
    puts out 70 amps of weld power on a 15 amp 120v primary power circuit.
    On a 20 amp 120v circuit you can get 90 amps of weld power. Enough to run a 3/32 low hy rod anyway.
    The 150 max star don’t run 6010 worth a darn. This limits this little inverter severely for pipe welding.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 10-14-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Which welder is right for my current needs.

This gets me to thinking.
    I’ve ran the max star 210 quite a bit on construction jobs. This machine was very good. It would run a 5/32 low hy all day. The pipe fitters used it for welding pipe also. It would run 6010. We ran it on 208v or 220v temp power. Solid little machine. Still not within the OP’s budget though.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

He said current needs. Lol. Current - needs.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    Miller Millermatic 211 MVP
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

Every professional welder I know has a machine or machines. Most do some welding at home. I have 50 years in and helped many achieve their goals in becoming a successful welder. I let them use my equipment and tools. Everyone can't afford to spend $$$ on a quality machine.
    Post your location, there maybe a member here that will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk