Excavator bucket repair
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    77

    Excavator bucket repair

    Since we all love bucket repair, here's some pics of yesterdays project..
    Welded with my favorite, ULTRACORE!
    Bobcat on 10 to give me about 20 volts and 300fpmName:  20191009_090425.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  69.5 KBAttachment 1706157Name:  20191009_103747.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  66.6 KBName:  20191009_131721.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  83.4 KBName:  20191009_131748.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  92.8 KB

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soda springs,Id
    Posts
    4,757

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Nice lookin' job but you must have burned a lot of wire at 300 feet per minute.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    70

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Looks real nice, What size wire 0.45? or 1/16?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    77

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Nice lookin' job but you must have burned a lot of wire at 300 feet per minute.
    Mike
    Ooh yea I probably didn't charge enough in that case haha

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    77

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgnob View Post
    Looks real nice, What size wire 0.45? or 1/16?
    I use .045, but bigger wire would have been good on this job

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    nice work, what machine are you running from and how long did it take you?
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

    Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    77

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    nice work, what machine are you running from and how long did it take you?
    Bobcat 225 runs the 12vs suitcase. Took about 10 hours

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal area Canada
    Posts
    1,045

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    10hrs x 60 minutes = 600x 300 ipm (ok not really) 180,000 inches / 12 = 15,000 ft anyone knows how many ft in a spool?
    Last edited by snowbird; 10-10-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: missing a '0'

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pitman PA
    Posts
    325

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    You sure that was feet per minute? 300 inches per minute is a bit more realistic. Nice job in any case.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    625

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Good fix and it's funny bc every weldor does love to see a good bucket fix.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    For guys that don't do a lot of the built up welds, there's a generally accepted way of doing them.

    Coupla different situations on two different pieces of equipment:

    A partially completed repair weld...…….

    Name:  grapple repair24.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  121.5 KB When stacking welds, each weld must overlap the previous weld exactly dead center on the previous weld. Under no circumstances will I accept a built up weld that has peaks and valleys

    Name:  heavy duty hinges63.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  136.3 KB This is a partially completed weld on a new piece of equipment. Note: The passes all overlap. The throat of the weld must be absolutely smooth...…..no visible valleys between welds After completion of the fillets, the end of the piece was V'd, and wrapped with weld.

    Anyways.....the principle is.....if you're seeing valleys, the throat of the weld is discontinuous. You've lost a lot of strength. The weld throat is only as thick as the bottom of those valleys....which could account for as much as 10-20% of the full strength of the weld as designed. And each valley is a V notch, waiting to fracture.

    Another tip...….don't try to stretch the distance between passes. A typical "3 pass builtup weld", should, in reality be done as a 4 pass weld. 2 on the floor, and intermediate pass between those two floor welds, and final pass built up on the 3rd pass tied to the wall. This gives you that smooth transition. All of the above welds were 4 pass 1/2" leg welds done with 1/8 rod. I've seen a lot of these done with that 3rd pass attempting to fill the distance between the top of the fillet, and the bottom 2nd pass.....that's a very wide weave. I don't like a wide weave. I guess I'm a stringer guy

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghana
    Posts
    803

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    "I don't like a wide weave. I guess I'm a stringer guy"

    x2 on that Sam!
    6 Miller Big Blue 600 Air Paks
    2 Miller 400D
    6 Lincoln LN-25's
    4 Miller Xtreme 12VS
    2 Miller Dimension 812
    4 Climax BW-3000Z bore welders
    Hypertherm 65 and 85
    Bug-O Track Bug
    Pair of Welpers

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    77

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    farmersam I appreciate the good advice!

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pitman PA
    Posts
    325

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfarmer View Post
    Since we all love bucket repair, here's some pics of yesterdays project..
    Welded with my favorite, ULTRACORE!
    Bobcat on 10 to give me about 20 volts and 300fpmName:  20191009_090425.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  69.5 KBAttachment 1706157Name:  20191009_103747.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  66.6 KBName:  20191009_131721.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  83.4 KBName:  20191009_131748.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  92.8 KB

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    That's some nice lookin work, I see you used old cuttin edges for your side cutters, how did you like workin with them? I use em all the time on this mining machinery I work on. I use Innershield though, Im always outside and its always windy up there on that mountain, so it works much better for me. Some of our guys use the UltraCore and they are always cuttin out weld and redoing them. Meanwhile Im just happily welding along.

    Once again, nice work

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pitman PA
    Posts
    325

    Re: Excavator bucket repair

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    For guys that don't do a lot of the built up welds, there's a generally accepted way of doing them.

    Coupla different situations on two different pieces of equipment:

    A partially completed repair weld...…….

    Name:  grapple repair24.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  121.5 KB When stacking welds, each weld must overlap the previous weld exactly dead center on the previous weld. Under no circumstances will I accept a built up weld that has peaks and valleys

    Name:  heavy duty hinges63.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  136.3 KB This is a partially completed weld on a new piece of equipment. Note: The passes all overlap. The throat of the weld must be absolutely smooth...…..no visible valleys between welds After completion of the fillets, the end of the piece was V'd, and wrapped with weld.

    Anyways.....the principle is.....if you're seeing valleys, the throat of the weld is discontinuous. You've lost a lot of strength. The weld throat is only as thick as the bottom of those valleys....which could account for as much as 10-20% of the full strength of the weld as designed. And each valley is a V notch, waiting to fracture.

    Another tip...….don't try to stretch the distance between passes. A typical "3 pass builtup weld", should, in reality be done as a 4 pass weld. 2 on the floor, and intermediate pass between those two floor welds, and final pass built up on the 3rd pass tied to the wall. This gives you that smooth transition. All of the above welds were 4 pass 1/2" leg welds done with 1/8 rod. I've seen a lot of these done with that 3rd pass attempting to fill the distance between the top of the fillet, and the bottom 2nd pass.....that's a very wide weave. I don't like a wide weave. I guess I'm a stringer guy

    That's some pretty lookin weldin you got goin on Sam, I enjoy stacking beads like that. Im a stringer kind of guy as well, especially with the Innershield wire I use, weaving usually produces a lot of undercut, stick welding I do a little but of a wiggle but not much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement