Come Together - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come Together

Re: Come Together

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    being a city boy i have no clue what most of that equipment is for. i find your solutions and repairs very interesting though.
    I'm the same way with boat stuff...…...especially the names for all the parts. I don't have a clue what the boat guys are talking about, but it's cool to look at.

How far out of town do you live? I've never found it economical to mess with my own tires. I un-bolt the wheel and bring it to the tire service place and get whatever work done ... and am always shocked at how cheap the service portion of the bill is. Lawn tractor tire that I would fight with for an hour is about $5. And even the big tires on my RT crane (which probably weigh close to 1000 pounds a piece) only cost about $25 to have mounted and dismounted.

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    How far out of town do you live? I've never found it economical to mess with my own tires. I un-bolt the wheel and bring it to the tire service place and get whatever work done ... and am always shocked at how cheap the service portion of the bill is. Lawn tractor tire that I would fight with for an hour is about $5. And even the big tires on my RT crane (which probably weigh close to 1000 pounds a piece) only cost about $25 to have mounted and dismounted.
    We have 3 tire places within about 10 miles. Only one will do tractor tires. And none of them will do tires while you wait, unless they have no cars in for service.

I've been dealing with the same guy for about 20yrs (spent a good deal of money there over that time). And I just cut ties with the F'r on Friday.

I've had 3 of these within the last 9 months

Name:  crap tires1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  136.2 KB This is an older pic, but it's the same deal I've had in the 9mo time period. G'dam tires are delaminating. They're easy to spot...…….the tire tread starts to become rounded, not flat on the road anymore....it's pulling away from the carcass. Most of the time, you find the tire exploded on the trailer when you go to use it again. It happens when it's parked. Last time it happened on the road, but luckily it held air, and I got it home.

First one that did it...…….the azzhole split the difference. Paid half the cost of a new one (tire was about a month old). Had two more within the last coupla weeks, and finally got around to taking them over to his shop. "Sorry, no warranty". I hit the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"They don't make them real good anymore"...………………………...Me: "So why the F are you selling them??"

Anyways....I thought he would start a fight, or call the sheriff. It didn't end with a few comments, I was livid.

I headed over to the other place on the other side of town. I only buy from them occasionally when it comes to tires.

New tire same price (nuther Chinese tire 235/85/16 10 ply ST ). Guy, who I've known for years, tells me that it's sorta common, and they prorate any damaged tires. Road hazards are on me, but delamination is on them. THAT'S THE WAY IT OUGHTA BE.

I haven't gotten tires from these guys in about 15yrs because they're more expensive. What I started to realize is...…….they're selling mostly brand name tires...…….not Linglongs, and Crosswind/Double Coin/Trailer King. The mope I've been doing business with has shifted to completely off-brand junk. So "cheap" ain't "cheap" anymore.

BAck to the original question I ramble.

Most of the time it's easier to just do the tires at home, and get it back in the field. And......when it comes to tube tires....I take better care to insure that the tubes aren't pinched. There's still a lot of tube type agricultural tires, and lots of guys aren't used to them anymore. They sometimes pinch the tubes.

Biggest tires I do are 15.5-38, and 18.4-34. I can't do them by myself anymore. K'kins helps me with them now. We probably look like Frik and Frak, but we manage

Had one about 3 years back. Bought it at auction. Great price for new tire this size ($300). https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...an-I-Weld-This The tire was on the ground at the auction WITH THE CUT SIDE DOWN (I didn't see it till I got it home) I bought two bigazz boots for it, slapped them on, and the tire's still going today Glued the boots in there, and used an innertube Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 118
Size:  1.1 KB

Found the old tractor tire pics.

The boots.

Name:  tire boot1.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  234.4 KB

Installed inside the tire.

Name:  tire boot2.JPG
Size:  238.1 KB

I marked the tire to see if the cut was growing when the innertube was inflated. Luckily, it's stayed the same size for 3yrs. Sometimes I forget the tire is even damaged because the bubble is mounted on the inside of the wheel, you don't see it when walking around the tractor.

Name:  tire boot3.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  211.2 KB

Every year it runs is a bonus I guess. The tire, overall, is still a new tire...……...just has a blemishName:  mutley.gif
Size:  9.3 KB